Traveling / shipping

It didn't end up going so well I'm afraid...

As expected the package arrived after a few weeks however I dare say the "This Side Up" and "Handle With Care" labels were not paid much respect.

I actually met the delivery driver when he arrived and he definitely pulled the package out from the bottom of his van were it had been laying on it's side. This didn't particularly concern me at first but when I opened the package it was clear that the wheel had activated during transport as the battery was down to about 80% charge and it had chewed up all the styrofoam and padding at the bottom of the box. The wheel still operated but it made a disconcerting 'tick' as it rotated and I was never comfortable about riding it, and definitely not at speed.

It turned out the 'tick' was just a zip-tie that somehow broke free inside the motor itself. While it was cheap to replace it did require opening the motor housing to get at, which is quite the undertaking! While I had it apart though it became apparent that the shell had also cracked around where it bolts to the fraim then finally when I put it back together it simply wouldn't turn on. It was extremely disappointing.

In the end I replaced both the main board and shell with a "V3" shell (and replaced the zip tie) and it works fine again but it took months of messing about end ended up being a fairly costly exercise.

All in all I should have opened up the wheel before sending and disconnected the battery but I didn't want to violate warranty (the warranty on my previous wheel was violated by my opening the shell). As it turned out though "shipping damage" wasn't covered anyhow so I was all out of luck. SpeedyFeet was able to send me a replacement board without charge but given how long it took to get it honestly I would have just prefered to buy a replacement myself. The shell however was not covered so I just payed for a new shell from AliExpress and fitted it myself.

So yeah, in the end I got it here and now ride it regularly but I can't say it was a hassle free experience.

• Like 1

Some brands (at least InMotion does) have an option in the app to 'lock' the wheel. (This disables the motor from turning on until you go back into the app and turn this back off.) I *highly* recommend everyone should do this before shipping a wheel. (Alternatively for those that don't have this feature I wonder if it may be possible to affix something 'over' the physical power button to prevent it from being activated in transport.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the detailed reply! Sorry to hear about your shipping experience! That was what I was afraid of unfortunately. Glad it everything worked out in the end. 

I will definitely think twice before shipping it to Australie when I will move!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, Marty Backe said:

I wonder how companies such as Speedyfeet can ship (FedEx) wheels from Britain to Southern California for well under $100?

Freight by water and rail.

I know of at least one plane crashing due to fires by batteries. 

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

Freight by water and rail.

I know of at least one plane crashing due to fires by batteries. 

Nope. When I ordered three different wheels (including the Monster), they were delivered from England to California within 5-days. Pretty sure no water or rail was involved.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nope. When I ordered three different wheels (including the Monster), they were delivered from England to California within 5-days. Pretty sure no water or rail was involved.

They definitely fly them. I ordered from E-Wheels to New Zealand, when I brought my Tesla. 3 Days to arrive in the country. 

5 days to convince my Customs department to release the goods. But that is another story.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2020 at 6:20 AM, Wimps said:

Thank you for the detailed reply! Sorry to hear about your shipping experience! That was what I was afraid of unfortunately. Glad it everything worked out in the end. 

I will definitely think twice before shipping it to Australie when I will move!

Honestly it should be fine if you disconnect the batteries but this will require opening the side covers.

Nothing is at all clear when it comes to warranty on these devices but with the Gotway wheels at least opening the side covers is a relatively in-obtrusive affair. There are no "warranty void" stickers or anything and seriously, it's soooo much safer to ship them with the batteries disconnected no matter what form of transport you use. I should have just done this myself.

• Upvote 1