INMOTION V20 ??

Dan NYC

The V10[F] already has exactly those style of pedals ("a thick rubber pad with a 3D-pattern that fits into pattern in the pedals")--it's why the V10[F] has such a superior ride quality. Obviously if they're experimenting with suspension above and beyond that it's because they've found something even better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe instead of suspension (thinking springs and a complicated assembly and maintenance), one could have just squishy pedals with a soft, springy layer?

I think that will be much closer to what Inmotion might come up with. A GT16 style solution. Larger than 1/2” of travel would require a separate suspended frame structure to keep both pedals at the same level. One that would carry the rider’s weight without deforming would likely be quite heavy and expensive.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I think that will be much closer to what Inmotion might come up with. A GT16 style solution. Larger than 1/2” of travel would require a separate suspended frame structure to keep both pedals at the same level. One that would carry the rider’s weight without deforming would likely be quite heavy and expensive.

Well it depends. 

The Kiwano KO1 has a suspension spring and a absorbing tire without a tube. 

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well it depends. 

The Kiwano KO1 has a suspension spring and a absorbing tire without a tube. 

And it has exactly the kind of frame I meant, the one that both pedals are fixed on to.

My post might’ve failed to translate what I meant to say. An EUC that has separate suspensions for each pedal feels good to ride only if the suspension travel is small. For larger travel the pedals should feel solid together, like they would if they were both bolted to the same rigid frame.

Especially during cornering when the rider applies more weight on one foot than the other, the wheel is exhausting to ride if both legs are floating on a separate long-travel suspension.

Riding straight was not a problem in my tests, since both feet get an equal ride anyway, just like if they were on a single suspended frame.

A possible solution would be a more rigid shell with metal supports, to which the pedals would be attached to. The suspension would then allow the motor to slide deeper in the wheel well, for example when the rider lands from a curb.

I wonder if they could find a way to build some suspension into the wheel itself.  On some wheels like the KS18xl there is room between the hub motor and the outer rim which is taken up by spokes.  Maybe they could put in a layer of softer material there, like a ring of polyurethane or something.