Charging/battery health questions

AtlasP

Given the following premises which I've read on here:

• Batteries degrade over time due to the combination of just storing charge and also/in particular in response to charge/discharge cycles.
  • It's best to store the battery at between 40-50% to 80-90%, and therefore it's better to come back from riding at 50% and let it sit like that overnight and charge in the morning, rather than charging it right when getting home and sitting charged overnight.
  • Fast charging puts more strain/wear on battery. (Although I've seen this debated. Is this true?)

Then I have the following lesser-of-two-evils-type questions:

1. If I charge the battery more full (90-100%) I can get through two days' usage before charging whereas if I charge it less full (80%) I can only get through one/have to charge every day. Is it better to charge it less full (80%) but have to top up every day (lower charge amount but more charge cycles) or to charge it more full (90-100%) but only have to charge every other day? (Essentially, what is the impact of more frequent small top-up charges? Is this still bad from a charging cycles perspective? Or because they're small--like going from 60% to 80%--is this less bad?)
  2. If I wait to charge until the morning then I would often have to rely on quick charging to complete the charge before leaving. Is it better to let the battery sit uncharged overnight but to have to rely on quick charging in the morning, or to trickle charge overnight? Or I guess another option would be to charge to 80% every night, then just top up above that in the morning if/as necessary? Which of these would be best?
Edited by AtlasP

Chriull: awesome, thanks so much for the detailed reply! If I'm understanding correctly then I'll just wait until mornings and charge to 80% every single morning before I go out (even if that needs to be at 4-5A).

Follow-up questions:

• Is there a lower bounds to healthy storage charge? (Is for example 25 or 30% worse for the battery than 40%?)
  • Is storing a little lower than ideal better or worse than a little higher than ideal or about the same? (Or is higher than ideal still way worse than a little lower than ideal?)
  • If lower temperatures are better, has anyone considered some kind of very mild refrigeration to preserve EUC life or is that preposterous/overkill? Unfortunately swapping out batteries is not quick/easy and I guess chilling the entire EUC could cause condensation issues. But I wonder about like a cheap wine fridge that only stays in like the 50s (F)? Still problematic re: condensation and/or not worth it?
Edited by AtlasP

2 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Chriull: awesome, thanks so much for the detailed reply!

You're welcome!

If I'm understanding correctly then I'll just charge to 80% every single morning before I go out (even if that needs to be at 4-5A).

Follow-up questions:

• Is there a lower bounds to healthy storage charge? (Is 25 or 30% worse for the battery than 40%?)

You'd have to calculate from charge % shown to real cell state of charge and look it up at batteryuniversity.com. :)

But from gut feeling i'd say it should be about ok for not too long time. Maybe 25% is a bit low?

And be carefull if you have a Z10 - with its high self discharge he'll drain down and stress the battery! Z10 have to be stored at higher charges.

• Is storing a little lower than ideal better or worse than a little higher than ideal or about the same? (Or is higher than ideal still way worse than a little lower than ideal?)

Pfff... I just remember in detail this 40 and 100% numbers.

46 minutes ago, Mono said:

Similarly, I do have good reasons to believe that cycling from 0 to 50% is considerably better than cycling from 50% to 100%.

These partial discharge cycles are mentioned with many tables at batteryuniversity.com. But unfortionately not clearly written starting from which voltage/charge state - or i just did not get it. Will have to reread this article once again in detail.

But EUCs perfomance and safety margin depends an battery voltage! So, at least i personally try to start with a 100% charge!

... and with many wheels driving below some ~ 30% gets really bad with all the speed restrictions starting...

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

But EUCs perfomance and safety margin depends an battery voltage! So, at least i personally try to start with a 100% charge!

I was strictly writing about battery degradation. If you want to cycle starting from 100% for whatever other reasons, you should certainly do. After all the purpose of the battery is not to live as long as possible but to serve as an energy source with the desired characteristics.

Personally, I rarely charge to 100% and I find the dependency of wheel behavior on the charge status notable but not particularly disturbing. Above the speed of 15km/h I avoid situations where the access torque margin may become an issue anyway.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 3

On 5/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, Chriull said:

... and with many wheels driving below some ~ 30% gets really bad with all the speed restrictions starting...

That's because of I every time load my wheel to 100% to start with full battery. I commute every day when the weather is fine and go about 30km/ day. At Friday, Saturday and Sunday I try do go with the whole energy I can get. That ends sometimes with 1 or 2 percent left which is nothing. 

A few days ago I had to go back the last 2km to get home. 

My Z10 was totally confused with it's empty battery. 

That looked then this way,  🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Werner said:

My Z10 was totally confused with it's empty battery. 

That looked then this way,  🤣🤣

Same thing Ian (Speedy feet) got on his Z10 when he tested his untill it couldn't be ridden anymore (and had to walk/carry it for a while to get to somewhere he could be driven home).
Thats an odd behavior though.

For most EUC rider that is no expert in battery, what happens when the battery level goes too low?  Will a normal EUC warn the rider first or it will just fail and cause an accident?  I can say that for new batteries, it should be safe, but my question is how about old batteries?  Will old batteries cause accident without warning from the EUC when the battery level goes too low?  If old batteries can cause accident, then there is still a big safety difference between a EUC and a E-scooter.  The concern is that for most rider, there is no way to tell how old their batteries can be, before they become unsafe to ride.  Can anyone give insight into what happen with old batteries as I do not have experience on?

Edited by hyiu00

On 5/28/2019 at 6:56 PM, Chriull said:

Z10 - with its high self discharge he'll drain down and stress the battery! Z10 have to be stored at higher charges.

What is meant by "self discharge" of the Z10? Thank you.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:18 PM, AtlasP said:

Or I guess another option would be to charge to 80% every night, then just top up above that in the morning if/as necessary? Which of these would be best?

My plan, in your situation is this (above)

I don't recall any specific advice about waiting overnight to charge, simply don't charge hot batteries.  So if you wait a bit for your batteries to cool down (say 30 minutes to an hour) I see no reason why you can't charge on the same day; I ALWAYS do, but most of my rides include a trip home in the car of 30 minutes or so, so a cooling period of sorts is built in, PLUS I don't ride that hard so my batteries probably aren't even warm.  Remember, not all riding heats up the batteries, so don't assume they are hot just because you went riding.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, esaj said:

Mostly, the maximum capacity of the cells / battery goes down as it ages, the internal resistance may also go up over time. With lithium-ion, this degradation is permanent, [...] The reduced capacity will mean that over time, you won't get as much mileage out of a full charge as before, and if you're used to pushing the wheel at low battery, this can bite you.

What I was wondering for a while: do we see this reduced capacity always via a reduced final voltage when fully charged?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mono said:

What I was wondering for a while: do we see this reduced capacity always via a reduced final voltage when fully charged?

Going out on a limb here, but to my knowledge, likely not, at least not directly. The voltage at the end of the charge comes from the charger, so it's up to the charger output voltage what the final voltage is. But, again based on what I remember reading, degraded cells also (may?) have faster internal self-discharge. This should cause the cell voltage to drop faster after charge, but it still might take a good while? Under load, the highest voltage drops faster, as the discharge voltage curve is not linear, but that could also maybe be used to measure the cell health.

Li-ion%20Discharge%20Voltage%20Curve%20T

Maybe software monitoring could be made based on the rate of the voltage drop after full charge (assuming the wheel isn't used straight away). Of course baselines for "normal healthy" cells should be measured first, and the software calibrated, but that might be another place where some improvements on safety could be made.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks esaj for your detail explanation.  Now I wonder if the IPS S5 with dual motor, dual BMS, and dual battery can improve the safety of EUC as the likelihood of both sides failing at the same time should be much much lower.  Now I am wondering if anyone riding the IPS S5 have an actual situations or tests to show that this redundant design is really helping to improve safety.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, esaj said:

Going out on a limb here, but to my knowledge, likely not, at least not directly. The voltage at the end of the charge comes from the charger, so it's up to the charger output voltage what the final voltage is.

Still, if the charger is disconnected after a full charge, the fully charged battery voltage doesn't need to be the charger voltage, or does it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mono said:

Still, if the charger is disconnected after a full charge, the fully charged battery voltage doesn't need to be the charger voltage, or does it?

No, if there's still been current flowing from the charger to the battery, it means the charger voltage has been higher than the battery, ie. the battery hasn't charged all the way to the full voltage. But I don't think this really tells you anything about the battery health, just that the charge wasn't 100% complete.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hyiu00 said:

Now I wonder if the IPS S5 with dual motor, dual BMS, and dual battery

Claiming a "dual motor" looks like a publicity stunt to me. If true, one either carries lots of unnecessary weight, or it means faceplanting in any critical high-demand situation when only one of the motors failing. Like this, the motor-related safety is halved, as any of the two motors failing leads already to an accident.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

No, if there's still been current flowing from the charger to the battery, it means the charger voltage has been higher than the battery, ie. the battery hasn't charged all the way to the full voltage. But I don't think this really tells you anything about the battery health, just that the charge wasn't 100% complete.

I just realized that you answered my question already somewhat when writing

Once a cell or a couple of cells starts to go up in voltage faster (during charging) and drop more voltage during loading, it's a sign it has deteriorated

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mono said:

The disadvantage is that then the battery sits at a higher charge all night long each night. Sitting at high charges is a main reason for battery degradation.

I was referring to battery tempreature issues, and referenced charging to 80% in the quote, for overnight with a potential pre-ride top up.  I stand behind my statement. "A higher charge all night long" is a bit vague for planning purposes. How hi is too high?

A Toyota sales employee told me the latest BMS on Toyotas won't allow a charge over 80% or under 20%.  Within these percentage they felt battery life was optimized. I haven't confirmed his statements He actually said something like "never wear out" but that would not be possible; even age would eventually do them in

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

My experience with worn out Li Pos is that they will show 4.2 V after a charge, but the voltage drops very rapidly when under a load.  This makes them useless except maybe as reserve for a flash light, but even then, a few $ will buy a good one.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I was referring to battery tempreature issues, and referenced charging to 80% in the quote, for overnight with a potential pre-ride top up.  I stand behind my statement. "A higher charge all night long" is a bit vague for planning purposes. How hi is too high?

We know two numbers for a yearly capacity loss at 25ºC: 4% at 40% charge state and 20% at 100% charge state. I would expect at 80% charge state that the loss is close to the middle between these two. As this is for nightly storage, the loss would distribute over two years (adding to other loss mechanisms). Whether an additional 12% degradation in two years is "too high" compared to 4% is up to everybody to decide.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remember someone one wrote here, (paraphrasing) 'if i have to keep my charge under 80% in order for my capacity not to drop to 80% in two years, What have I gained?"  In other words, if one self imposes an 80% charge max, then for all intents and purposes you are already operating at 80% capacity.  Since few of us keep wheels that long, I'd rather have my Volts up front, thank you very much.  In two years i'll have 80% forced on me anyway, and that doesn't even factor in age degradation; and by then I'll probably have something new and shiny under the Christmas tree.:D

(note, I rarely charge to 100%, I'm just not that anal about 80% or (insert your preferred percentage here),  Life's too short) 

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2