Gotway msx or nikola ???

It’s such a surreal experience to be traveling in a lane with cars instead of watching them zoom by from the bike lane.

With the 84v MSX on the 30-40mph roads i was always struggling to keep up or relegated to coasting on the shoulder of the road. Five beeps on a flat at 34mph wasn’t enough headway to travel comfortably. 

@houseofjob I still have dreams of seated riding at 40mph however *coughMonstercough*😄😄

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:thumbup:

"I hit 40mph"   and you are a crazy man ;)

Hello all :) 

New user here (current esk8 rider who has decided EUCs are awesome).

I have just gone through all the first wheel conundrums. Have watched what feels like every YouTube video Marty has ever made (thanks very much for your videos by the way it has been very enjoyable). 

Marty's video's of course made me want the Nikola as well, but I decided on the MSX purely because it is considered to be so robust, and being a new rider I will be giving it a beating. If I was a high standard rider I would have gone the Nikola.

Hopefully I havent made a mistake getting a high powered first wheel but I didn't want to buy a throw away that still is going to cost $1,000+  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mitch said:

Hello all :) 

New user here (current esk8 rider who has decided EUCs are awesome).

I have just gone through all the first wheel conundrums. Have watched what feels like every YouTube video Marty has ever made (thanks very much for your videos by the way it has been very enjoyable). 

Marty's video's of course made me want the Nikola as well, but I decided on the MSX purely because it is considered to be so robust, and being a new rider I will be giving it a beating. If I was a high standard rider I would have gone the Nikola.

Hopefully I havent made a mistake getting a high powered first wheel but I didn't want to buy a throw away that still is going to cost $1,000+  

:D

My first wheel was the most powerful wheel you could buy at the time. I never regretted the purchase. Just pad the hell out of the wheel until you've gotten over the point of dropping it.

One advantage that you guys (newbies) have that we didn't, as far as Gotway owners are concerned, is that when you drop a modern Gotway wheel it no longer does the "Gotway Dance". Older wheels often wouldn't shut off for a few seconds while falling. The spinning tire would grab the ground and literally make the wheel wildly spin/flip in the air and come crashing down. You can imagine the amount of damage caused by this.

Your life is about to change with the MSX. Prepare for massive amounts of fun and excitement as you learn the ways of the wheel :cheers:

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

It’s such a surreal experience to be traveling in a lane with cars instead of watching them zoom by from the bike lane.

With the 84v MSX on the 30-40mph roads i was always struggling to keep up or relegated to coasting on the shoulder of the road. Five beeps on a flat at 34mph wasn’t enough headway to travel comfortably. 

@houseofjob I still have dreams of seated riding at 40mph however *coughMonstercough*😄😄

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

One advantage that you guys (newbies) have that we didn't, as far as Gotway owners are concerned, is that when you drop a modern Gotway wheel it no longer does the "Gotway Dance". Older wheels often wouldn't shut off for a few seconds while falling. The spinning tire would grab the ground and literally make the wheel wildly spin/flip in the air and come crashing down. You can imagine the amount of damage caused by this.

LOL, if I'm not mistaken, this wasn't always the case with Gotway.

@EUC Extreme requested such customized firmware angle on his personal unit, and it seemed Gotway took this as all users would want a more aggressive tilt disengage angle (clearly not the case :lol::lol:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:D

My first wheel was the most powerful wheel you could buy at the time. I never regretted the purchase. Just pad the hell out of the wheel until you've gotten over the point of dropping it.

Your life is about to change with the MSX. Prepare for massive amounts of fun and excitement as you learn the ways of the wheel :cheers:

Thanks Marty :) 

I have two rolls of this stuff on the way:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-2M-Bumper-Strip-Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Corner-Home/292778031046?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df94d5914b70443e98d9e8a4f6d202722%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D113845801143%26itm%3D292778031046%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A810bd0aa-ba3c-11e9-82bd-74dbd1802fce|parentrq%3A73c62ec416c0a86015c2931effd6d96e|iid%3A1

I haven't been able to come up with any better means to protect the MSX from the dropping phase, unless you have come across a better alternative? Searching here and across the web I haven't seen any real solid alternatives. Thought about using wetsuit material to make my own cover for a while but I'm probably not that talented at stitching. I almost bought a V10F because of the cover they sell with it to protect the thing, but once again your video's saved me there (Tesla/VF10 hill climb video). 

Very excited to start learning though, I think it will be a lot of fun :) :) :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

@Mitch Learn on a rubber track. You will feel at ease knowing you can fall and the rubber will cushion you and the wheel.

That’s a good idea, you mean like what they use at athletics tracks? I was planning on finding a synthetic grass football field, but the lower resistance of a rubber floor would probably make things easier ...

24 minutes ago, Mitch said:

That’s a good idea, you mean like what they use at athletics tracks? I was planning on finding a synthetic grass football field, but the lower resistance of a rubber floor would probably make things easier ...

Yes the track people run on. Grass is not good, turf is horrible.

5 hours ago, Mitch said:

Thanks Marty :) 

I have two rolls of this stuff on the way:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-2M-Bumper-Strip-Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Corner-Home/292778031046?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df94d5914b70443e98d9e8a4f6d202722%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D113845801143%26itm%3D292778031046%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A810bd0aa-ba3c-11e9-82bd-74dbd1802fce|parentrq%3A73c62ec416c0a86015c2931effd6d96e|iid%3A1

I haven't been able to come up with any better means to protect the MSX from the dropping phase, unless you have come across a better alternative? Searching here and across the web I haven't seen any real solid alternatives. Thought about using wetsuit material to make my own cover for a while but I'm probably not that talented at stitching. I almost bought a V10F because of the cover they sell with it to protect the thing, but once again your video's saved me there (Tesla/VF10 hill climb video). 

Very excited to start learning though, I think it will be a lot of fun :) :) :) 

That'll work :thumbup:

Let us know how you make out in your skill development. Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Ok guys. Big dilemma for me today.  I need help. Lol.   So I have an inmotion v8 and have taken it to its max too much lol I desperately need to upgrade like today.  My wheel is my only transportation.    So I’ve had the deposit in for the nikola for a month or so but. Having second thoughts cause not many reviewers like it at all... and also it’ll be attt les another 2 weeks before I have it and I need a new wheel now.. so, enter my buddy with his msx for sale.  It has 850 miles on it and it is in.  Pristine condition.  It has these. Wheel warp and a. Noisy motor but my friend said that’s normal for msx...so I could get msx for 1600 with seat,mudguard,and fast charger.  Or wait for nikola. Or jut buy a new msx.  Please @Marty Backe and others with better knowledge and experience. Give me your opinion.  Thanks soo much...

Lucas.

The MSX is a good wheel, either 84V or 100V. it depends if you are looking for range or performance... If range, it's the 84V, while for performance (speed) then it's the 100V. Mind you, the Nicola 100V has them both; range and performance. It might be worth it to wait; you'll have it for a long time, unless you are rich and can buy many...

• 4 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, that's tough. "Wheel warp" would have me slightly concerned and $1600 seems a bit pricey for a wheel with almost 1000-miles on it. In my mind EUCs are like cars. Once you drive it off the lot the resale price plummets. For instance, I have MSuper V3s+ that is in superb condition with probably less than 1000-miles on it. If I were to sell it I'd probably ask $900 max.

Oh, and the MSX is probably the quietest wheel ever made. So "noisy motor" is another flag? I'd have to know more about this noise.

But he's your friend so that's not easy to navigate.

I think used wheels are great for newbies, but I would think you'd prefer one with that new smell out of the box :)

Since I have not ridden a Nikola I feel at a total disadvantage when recommending it over other wheels. The MSX I know, and it's a solid wheel with a great safety and reliability record. The Nikola is an unknown at this point. But maybe it's going to be great and even better than the MSX?

Marty,

I am upgrading from a Tesla, and deciding between an MSX and a Nikola. I often travel 40-60kms a day on my wheel, so I am a high user. Generally on good roads, but occasionally offroad. I like the feel of the MSX more than the Nikola - the ride feels better to me. My concern is the trolley handle - I am often using it on the Tesla, in supermarkets and malls, etc. On the MSX, it feels like it will be a pain to use over longer distances. The Tesla one is amazing. Do you have any thoughts on the MSX trolley handle for wheeling around malls? Does it eventually grow on you and become simple to use or is it always a pain?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KiwiRoller said:

Marty,

I am upgrading from a Tesla, and deciding between an MSX and a Nikola. I often travel 40-60kms a day on my wheel, so I am a high user. Generally on good roads, but occasionally offroad. I like the feel of the MSX more than the Nikola - the ride feels better to me. My concern is the trolley handle - I am often using it on the Tesla, in supermarkets and malls, etc. On the MSX, it feels like it will be a pain to use over longer distances. The Tesla one is amazing. Do you have any thoughts on the MSX trolley handle for wheeling around malls? Does it eventually grow on you and become simple to use or is it always a pain?

I think the MSX trolley works fine, but you do have to be more careful using it compared to all the center mounted trolley handles. I've used mine in stores and never thought it was particularly bad.

But it's hard to beat the Tesla or KingSong trolley handles.