Gotway msx or nikola ???

Ok guys. Big dilemma for me today.  I need help. Lol.   So I have an inmotion v8 and have taken it to its max too much lol I desperately need to upgrade like today.  My wheel is my only transportation.    So I’ve had the deposit in for the nikola for a month or so but. Having second thoughts cause not many reviewers like it at all... and also it’ll be attt les another 2 weeks before I have it and I need a new wheel now.. so, enter my buddy with his msx for sale.  It has 850 miles on it and it is in.  Pristine condition.  It has these. Wheel warp and a. Noisy motor but my friend said that’s normal for msx...so I could get msx for 1600 with seat,mudguard,and fast charger.  Or wait for nikola. Or jut buy a new msx.  Please @Marty Backe and others with better knowledge and experience. Give me your opinion.  Thanks soo much...

Lucas.

• Like 1

Er..wheel warp & noisy motor are most assuredly NOT normal for an MSX. They are beautifully silent and wheel warp..?

What about a KS16x? that's the hottest thing going, at least until the reviews come in.

If you need a wheel ASAP, the MSX is probably a good bet it's top of the line spec-wise, and has an excellent track record, QA-wise.

Also, MSX is a 19(?)x3'' wheel, whereas the Nicola & 16x are both 16x3.

Edited by Hatchet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that's tough. "Wheel warp" would have me slightly concerned and $1600 seems a bit pricey for a wheel with almost 1000-miles on it. In my mind EUCs are like cars. Once you drive it off the lot the resale price plummets. For instance, I have MSuper V3s+ that is in superb condition with probably less than 1000-miles on it. If I were to sell it I'd probably ask $900 max.

Oh, and the MSX is probably the quietest wheel ever made. So "noisy motor" is another flag? I'd have to know more about this noise.

But he's your friend so that's not easy to navigate.

I think used wheels are great for newbies, but I would think you'd prefer one with that new smell out of the box :)

Since I have not ridden a Nikola I feel at a total disadvantage when recommending it over other wheels. The MSX I know, and it's a solid wheel with a great safety and reliability record. The Nikola is an unknown at this point. But maybe it's going to be great and even better than the MSX?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Er..wheel warp & noisy motor are most assuredly NOT normal for an MSX. They are beautifully silent and wheel warp..?

What about a KS16x? that's the hottest thing going, at least until the reviews come in.

If you need a wheel ASAP, the MSX is probably a good bet it's top of the line spec-wise, and has an excellent track record, QA-wise.

Also, MSX is a 19(?)x3'' wheel, whereas the Nicola & 16x are both 16x3.

Plus One for your first-sentence observations :cheers:

He can barely wait 2-weeks, I don't think a July+ delivery for the 16X is in the cards :)

The MSX tire is actually almost 21-inches. I suspect the Nikola tire is approaching 18-inches. FYI.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

so I could get msx for 1600 with seat,mudguard,and fast charger.

$1600 for that wheel is crazy expensive. I haven’t seen any bad reviews yet for the Nikola except for the sticker falling off. I’ll be selling my pristine Tesla for a $1000. in a week with exactly 300 miles on it.. yes, my msx is silent

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys.  Yeah I was skeptical cause it sounds like a grinding noise from the wheel definitely not something I’d heard before and I’ve heard the msx was quiet too.   So when I picked up the wheel and it spun it, wasn’t even it wobbled and you could see it if you look at it head on.        I also thought 850 miles was a lot to still want only 300$ less than brand new.

so I could get a ks16s with 400 miles for only 800 and still get the nikola in two weeks.    That’s what I should do I think.  What do y’all think ?

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver
Dpelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Thanks guys.  Yeah I was skeptical cause it sounds like a grinding noise from the wheel definitely not something I’d heard before and I’ve heard the msx was quiet too.   So when I picked up the wheel and it spun it, wasn’t even it wobbled and you could see it if you look at it head on.        I also thought 850 miles was a lot to still want only 300$ less than brand new.

so I could get a ks16s with 400 miles for only 800 and still get the nikola in two weeks.    That’s what I should do I think.  What do y’all think ?

Frankly, except for the added range and speed (but not a huge jump in speed) there isn't a big enough difference between the 16S and your V8.

Yet who am I to say not to buy a 16S? ;)  It's a fair price (still high though) but I have to say that in two weeks that 16S will become a very lonely wheel. Maybe you'd rather use the $800 for something else?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Frankly, except for the added range and speed (but not a huge jump in speed) there isn't a big enough difference between the 16S and your V8.

Yet who am I to say not to buy a 16S? ;)  It's a fair price (still high though) but I have to say that in two weeks that 16S will become a very lonely wheel. Maybe you'd rather use the $800 for something else?

Marty as always your insight is spot on.   ..  so I just found out that the guy I am talking about is on the forum  @Celt26 and he posted his issues here last month and you @Marty Backe  watched his video and said it was probably fine.  Now I’ve watched several other videos saying the same thing      Ugh decisions decisions.. lol.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Since I have not ridden a Nikola I feel at a total disadvantage when recommending it over other wheels. The MSX I know, and it's a solid wheel with a great safety and reliability record. The Nikola is an unknown at this point. But maybe it's going to be great and even better than the MSX? 

Yeah, when are you getting the review unit - I'm still waiting for your take on it! I don't have any qualms about it overloading after my own simple climbing tests, but I'm still looking forward to seeing your reviews. When you get your hill test up I'm planning on opening a beer or two and make an occasion out of it :)  Do bring @maltocs if you can, looking forward (I hope and believe) to his revenge on overheat hill!

For the OP @Lucas Alexander Oliver: Since I don't have the MSX and have only ridden it briefly I'm likewise unequipped to offer any comparisons between the MSX and the Nikola, but I personally chose the Nikola over the MSX and am very happy about it so far. The MSX was not that much cheaper when I made the purchase, and I much prefer the looks of the Nikola over the MSX, not to the mention the pedals - I love those, both the size and the angle! As @Hatchet mentioned the MSX has the bigger wheel, so that's one point to consider (Nikola's wheel is marked 16x3, and if I recall correctly MSX's wheel is marked 18x3 (?), with them marketed as 17" and 19" respectively). Well, again, I don't have the MSX, and we don't have the general feedback yet for the Nikola, but for me it's working out fine FWIW so it's one anecdotal point.

The KS16X as mentioned also looks like it could potentially be a winner, at least with the recent news about them taking tackling the noise issue, but if you actually want a new wheel now that's not an option. For  me Gotway timed this right - being in Scandinavia I now got the Nikola right in time for the season whereas the 16X would probably arrive just as the season was winding down.. Not everyone lives in Californa after all :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

. I love the looks of the nikola too. And I have a feeling it’s going to be great . Loads of power and stability and should have a super smooth ride with no problems from the cst e-bike tire   I am going to get the nikola for sure.  Ive waited this long I can’t get impatient now. Lol 

• Like 2

I ordered nikola too, coming from the kingsong. I have a question, does the gotway throttle back automatically as the power goes down like the king song? Or am i left to make sure i know my battery level and not go past a certian speed  so it wont cut out on me. Sounds like a stupid question but ive only owned kingsongs so far

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Han Vo said:

I ordered nikola too, coming from the kingsong. I have a question, does the gotway throttle back automatically as the power goes down like the king song? Or am i left to make sure i know my battery level and not go past a certian speed  so it wont cut out on me. Sounds like a stupid question but ive only owned kingsongs so far

With Gotway, the rule of thumb is to never ignore the 3rd alarm (most people turn off the 1st and 2nd fixed speed alarms). The 3rd alarm is triggered at ~80-percent max power load for a given battery level. So as the battery level decreases so will the speed at which the 3rd alarm will kick in.

Unlike KingSong, the Gotway wheels will not tilt-back to force you to slow down. Never. So it's possible for you to ignore the 3rd alarm and continue to ride faster, but you risk having the wheel cutout on you.

Generally, you can enjoy riding at higher speeds for longer periods of time than with KingSong, although with the newer KingSong wheels it's much better than a couple of years ago.

Myself and many other riders turn off the 1st and 2nd alarms and disable tilt-back. But we religiously let off the gas whenever we hear the 3rd alarm. If you do this you'll be perfectly safe (as safe as anyone can be on a self-balancing one wheel). 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just purchased my own copy of the Nikola from EWheels - so no review unit for me :D. I guess it'll be a couple of weeks and then I can have some fresh fun :)

That’s awesome. I can’t wait to receive mine..   I’m giving my wife my old wheel so we can go explore and make videos and whatnot.  We are both very excited.  Im glad to know you decided to get a nikola as well.  I’m not the only one who knows its going to be awesome.   Maybe the best yet 🤩

• Like 1

So just to close the subject .  I decided not to go with the msx even though it’s an awesome wheel and probably would be fine forever.. but I got a used ks16s to ride until the nikola gets here.   And so far the ks16s is loads of fun.   Soooooo much better than the inmotion v8 which feels like a toy even when compared to the 16s.  So I’m super happy and safe. And I can give my wife the 16s when nikola gets here and everyone is happy.  😁😁😁. Thanks everybody for you opinions and input. It was all much appreciated. As soon as the nikola comes I will do some videos on it.  I am super excited :) 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

So just to close the subject .  I decided not to go with the msx even though it’s an awesome wheel and probably would be fine forever.. but I got a used ks16s to ride until the nikola gets here.   And so far the ks16s is loads of fun.   Soooooo much better than the inmotion v8 which feels like a toy even when compared to the 16s.  So I’m super happy and safe. And I can give my wife the 16s when nikola gets here and everyone is happy.  😁😁😁. Thanks everybody for you opinions and input. It was all much appreciated. As soon as the nikola comes I will do some videos on it.  I am super excited :) 

You must have made it home okay last night :D 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kasenutty said:

You must have made it home okay last night :D 

Yessir 👍🏼   The wheel is awesome.   Thanks so much.  I feel really comfortable on it already. It’s loads more fun than the v8.. So spunky . .. we will definitely have to get together and ride soon 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:27 AM, Marty Backe said:

With Gotway, the rule of thumb is to never ignore the 3rd alarm (most people turn off the 1st and 2nd fixed speed alarms). The 3rd alarm is triggered at ~80-percent max power load for a given battery level. So as the battery level decreases so will the speed at which the 3rd alarm will kick in.

Unlike KingSong, the Gotway wheels will not tilt-back to force you to slow down. Never. So it's possible for you to ignore the 3rd alarm and continue to ride faster, but you risk having the wheel cutout on you.

Generally, you can enjoy riding at higher speeds for longer periods of time than with KingSong, although with the newer KingSong wheels it's much better than a couple of years ago.

Myself and many other riders turn off the 1st and 2nd alarms and disable tilt-back. But we religiously let off the gas whenever we hear the 3rd alarm. If you do this you'll be perfectly safe (as safe as anyone can be on a self-balancing one wheel). 

Whats the 3rd alarm sound like. Second alarm sounds like a tripple beep to me. Thst cant be the 3rd alarm because in going about 30km on Nikola 

8 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

Whats the 3rd alarm sound like. Second alarm sounds like a tripple beep to me. Thst cant be the 3rd alarm because in going about 30km on Nikola 

No, that doesn't sound like the 3rd alarm, rather the second alarm which triggers at 30 km/h as far as I know. I've yet to hear the third alarm myself, but it should be "5 beep per second(continuously)" according to this post:

Here you can see an example of the Tesla warning:

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread as I am thinking about getting the 100V Nikola and wondered how it compared with my 84 MSX? I really enjoy my MSX but I want more range. I have the KS18XL but much prefer the MSX. Can anyone shed some light? Is pedal angle similar? I cruise on the MSX at around 22-26mph when I am free to open her up a bit. I don’t need more top end but happy to have it.  I want to have at least two wheels primed and ready to roll at all times.

Does the Nikola feel more planted? More maneuverable? 

• Like 1