Below is further correspondences with Segway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 27, 2019, 3:07 PM

Dear Andy,

We have received your email. Can you please send us the serial number? Do you recall who it was purchased through or do you have a copy of the proof of purchase?

Technical Support
Consumer Products
Segway Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 28, 2019, 12:15 AM
Thank you Segway for the response. The serial number is N2OEA1525A2071, as seen in the photo of the original manual that was inside the original box. It's been over three years and I do not have the proof of purchase. Hope to address this issue as soon as possible and not waste anyone's time including mine. I look forward to hearing from you.

Feb 28, 2019, 1:03 PM

Dear Andy,

Based on the serial number, your One E+ was not distributed or sold through Segway. This office can only support Ninebot product that was distributed or sold by Segway. We recommend that you contact the original seller for this matter.

Technical Support
Consumer Products
Segway Inc.

Mar 1, 2019, 2:15 PM
Hi,

This is absurd. I'm still traumatized and it's disheartening to see the first question to ask is not about the rider's safety but the serial number and the proof of purchase. Please escalate to Roxanne Lamonde--the Director of Risk Management & HR--directly and her legal team. Ninebot One E+ on your website clearly shows that the product in the US is marketed under Segway branding and still is a product under Segway's ownership and control in terms of liability and warranty, after Ninebot's acquisition of Segway. As a reminder, the explosion from the battery that blasted through the hard plastic shell caused an extremely violent fire, and I experienced a near-death situation. Your product is UL2272 certified and SHOULD NOT explode during daily use or idling. For your information, I have already submitted a complaints to CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) as this is threatening public's safety, especially everyone in the EUC community in the US.

Consider the following scenarios and put yourself in my shoe:
  • If it exploded while I was riding, it would have exploded my right leg—life as an amputee.
  • If it exploded while I was carrying it outside, it would have exploded on my face and arteries—possibly dead. 
  • If it happened when I was asleep, I would have burnt to death if not intoxicated to death first from the fumes including hydrogen fluoride gas.
  • If it blew up when I was outside without taking it with me, the whole apartment would have burnt down. Massive and irreplaceable life & property damage can be visualized.
  • If it blew up at my workplace: my career, others lives, Apple's business would have been damaged.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi @NDOH I feel bad for what happened to you.

NB1E+ 's battery pack wrapper is not well protected against vibrations and scratches.  The battery housing has some plastic piece protruding from below. It will cut into the wrapper or even more to cause damage to the battery.  Have you put a foam piece underneath the pack to protect it?

• Upvote 1

It sucks that this happened to you Andy, glad to hear that you did not suffer serious injury from a situation that could have been a lot worse. From a manufacturer's perspective, particularly in a litigious-happy society like the USA, I can understand why they would seek any out-clause they have available to them to distance themselves from liability.

What I can take from this tale is that it is a sobering reminder that Li-battery powered devices have a small but non-zero probability of spontaneously self-combusting. I mean, the interwebs are full of videos of hover-boards, mobile phones, laptops etc. bursting in to flame.

Never leave them on charge unattended, or overnight while asleep in the next room - which as a new EUC owner, I have done on occasion. But not after seeing this!

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Sidewalk Enforcer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Hi @NDOH I feel bad for what happened to you.

NB1E+ 's battery pack wrapper is not well protected against vibrations and scratches.  The battery housing has some plastic piece protruding from below. It will cut into the wrapper or even more to cause damage to the battery.  Have you put a foam piece underneath the pack to protect it?

Foam to protect what???? Can’t you see from the photos that the wheel has burnt to a crisp? Bloody hell.

Edited by Afeez Kay

5 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Where can I find more info? Is that well-known among Ninebot One E+ users?

@Afeez Kay: You could have spared us the agressive and condescending tone, especially as you’re the one who didn’t understand.

@EUCmania: having a E+ i’m interested as well. Mine had some light foam strips as I recall, but nothing major. 

Edited by Mimolette

the battery comes with sticky tape on both sides. I recommend using that tape to glue the battery to the cover.  Just take care to leave a space of about 1.5 cm near the bottom to allow for the clips to get into position. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, esaj said:

I would like to suggest to forum moderators to put topics about these preventive mods always on top inside the subforum for each brand/model.

We have to take good care of battery packs. NB1E+'s battery pack is inside one of the square-ish gray cover touching your calf when riding. Open it. You can see that the inside of the cover has plastic pieces protruding out. They scratch the battery wrapper hard when riding, especially those pieces underneath the pack. Put some foam to cover those pieces. put the battery pack back. Inspect the pack every time you inflate tire.

There are much more electric bikes than EUCs. We seldom hear burning ebikes, but we see some exploding EUCs photos. I guess one of  reasons is that EUCs battery pack is not protected as well as that for ebikes. Ebike battery packs are in dedicated hard sealed cases.

@Afeez Kay, We are here to share our experiences and knowledge about EUCs so that we can enjoy them better without getting into accidents such as this fire. If you have some anger management issues, keep that to yourself or find a doctor. If you cannot read my last post, find an English teacher.

Edited by EUCMania

15 hours ago, Alexander Pavlyuk said:

He means BEFORE the accident. Was there a protective foam under the battery?

I believe his question was HAVE you and not DID you which would have indicated past tense.

20 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Have you put a foam piece underneath the pack to protect it?

Here.. he clearly said ‘HAVE’ you? Should have been DID you, indicating before the explosions.. hence my reply.. just felt sorry for the guy that lost his wheel, that’s all.  No anger problems doctor needed as indicated in the above statement, all good here  :thumbup:

Edited by Afeez Kay

Hi @NDOH,

Good that you did not get injured by this incident! 

Sorry to bother you with quite some questions:

On 3/2/2019 at 2:09 AM, NDOH said:
  • 2) Being super safe, I first went to the power strip and turned it off,
  • 3) then unplugged the cord from the power strip,
  • 4) and then unplugged from the unit.

You had your ninebot charging, when this happened?

For how long?

I'd assume you did not swap the batteries - this had still the first original pack?

Did you already notice less range and performance from the batteries?

Did they still charge to 100% - or better full voltage, if you looked at such "details"?

The "small burning thing" on your pictures aside the ninebot was the battery pack?

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, 

I also had a NineBot E+ for several years. I absolutely loved it, and didn't notice anything wrong until two nights ago it spontaneously combusted while my family and I were asleep. The combustion caused a small fire in our house, which luckily stopped eventually when (according to the fire fighters) it ran out of oxygen because the mudroom it was in was very small. Attached are pictures of the NB1E+ and the mudroom. We are still dealing with the aftermath, but the incident was absolutely terrifying. The house will probably smell for months but we can count ourselves lucky that we are still alive. 

-Kilian

ninebot.jpg

room.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kilian said:

Hi, 

I also had a NineBot E+ for several years. I absolutely loved it, and didn't notice anything wrong until two nights ago it spontaneously combusted while my family and I were asleep. The combustion caused a small fire in our house, which luckily stopped eventually when (according to the fire fighters) it ran out of oxygen because the mudroom it was in was very small. Attached are pictures of the NB1E+ and the mudroom. We are still dealing with the aftermath, but the incident was absolutely terrifying. The house will probably smell for months but we can count ourselves lucky that we are still alive. 

-Kilian

ninebot.jpg

room.jpg

Sorry for your loss .. Were  you charging it when this fire happened?

Shocking images and documentation. Sadly dismissive corporate response. Regardless of whether they officially "support" a sold item due to its distribution, as manufacturer they hold specific liability and apparently need a reminder of that. I wonder if OP @NDOH has any uodates on his scary situation? 

6 hours ago, Afeez Kay said:

Sorry for your loss .. Were  you charging it when this fire happened?

Yes I had it charge overnight.

The firefighters gave the recommendation to never do that. I just ordered a bunch of timed outlets that will shut off automatically after a few hours for my other battery powered appliances. 

Kilian

• Like 1

The E+ also have an issue with the battery rubbing on some structural ribs of the cover. I could clearly see it on mine after 1500km. The opening around the cable clip can let gravel in, who will also be tearing at the battery. I’d suggest all E+ users to check their battery pack if they have used it over longer time, as well as doing some small modifications to minimise the risk.