Unlock feature on 18xl

fourthewin

Folks,

I just ordered my first large wheel from Jason at eWheels. Pretty stoked, as I’ve been on a 14c/14s for the last 1.5 years. 

Question, is there anyway to bypass the 125mile speed limit lockout?

I was able to do this with a code on both my 14c and 14s but haven’t seen it mentioned if it was possible on the 18xl or not. 

5 km (which was painful) to unlock from 20 kph to 40 kph, and then the full speed unlock after 200 km riding.. it sucks but as far as i know there is no way to bypass it as the new app there is nowhere to put in any codes or anything its done automatically through the software when it recognises your total distance, and the old app wont recognise the 18L

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rywokast said:

5 km (which was painful) to unlock from 20 kph to 40 kph, and then the full speed unlock after 200 km riding.. it sucks but as far as i know there is no way to bypass it as the new app there is nowhere to put in any codes or anything its done automatically through the software when it recognises your total distance, and the old app wont recognise the 18L

Correct... But it's mot quite automatic.

When you first get the wheel, you can't set it above 20 kph. And after 5 km it won't change automatically, you will still have the 20 kph limit set. But the app will let you change it up to 40 (as it knows the wheel has travelled over 5 km.

The same goes for the 200 km mark... If you don't notice you have passed it, there won't be any difference. Though it seems a lot of people watch the odometer very closely around that point.   :lol:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Correct... But it's mot quite automatic.

When you first get the wheel, you can't set it above 20 kph. And after 5 km it won't change automatically, you will still have the 20 kph limit set. But the app will let you change it up to 40 (as it knows the wheel has travelled over 5 km.

The same goes for the 200 km mark... If you don't notice you have passed it, there won't be any difference. Though it seems a lot of people watch the odometer very closely around that point.   :lol:

yes i worded that weird, i meant that the software automatically recognises that you have exceeded that km mark and allows you to change it.. it wont do it on its own like my wording sounded like >.> though good luck actually getting it to connect.. i got "net error" about 50 times before it would finally allow me to change it,, was peddling around at 20 kmph like a noob frustratingly mashing the speed limit button on the app lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fourthewin said:

I wonder if I can rig away on a treadmill? Lol. 

That's been tried before... It didn't end well...

But then it really won't be that hard to clock up that distance... Ride all day Saturday, recharge overnight, then ride all day Sunday and you are done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That's been tried before... It didn't end well...

But then it really won't be that hard to clock up that distance... Ride all day Saturday, recharge overnight, then ride all day Sunday and you are done.

1 hour ago, fourthewin said:

Ha! That guy is crazy. He’s trying to ride it tho. I wonder if you stood one up on a treadmill or roller and let it go at about 10mph what would happen. 

LOL... wait! Isn't that our MacGyver of the EUC World AKA @Rehab1? Hilarious! :thumbup:

But actually it does work! Put your treadmill on flat position instead and just ride your wheel freely without any attachments like this video demonstrated by Ian :

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fourthewin said:

I wonder if I can rig away on a treadmill? Lol. 

In fact I used my treadmill to unlock my KS-18L :) You just need to remember not to ride on the same spot for the whole 5 kms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am calling this stupid behaviour. Trying to unlock a wheel speed setting without getting to know the wheel. Doing so is not helping the EUC community.

Reason: any product can fail out of the box, but most will fail within a few days of starting using this. So speed setting is partly for user to adapt to a new wheel and to test wheel works as it should.

Yes some will now start shouting freedom of choice. My answer is: you chose a brand that want to protect its name, they have not hidden this for you. You made a choice. Codo to Kingsong to set in a measure to protect THEIR brand.

To ride 5km do not take long time. The top speed unlock well should not take long if you are such a skilled rider, still you can do this at 40kmh.

Yet to this date I don't ride at top speed, mine is set at 42kmh. 

Feel free to dislike this post, imho anyone doing so can read what I think of those plan and simply, read first sentence again.

If I wanted to be safe and never have fun, I wouldn’t leave the house. I get your point and would never be mad at you for making it. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

14 hours ago, z3n said:

LOL... wait! Isn't that our MacGyver of the EUC World AKA @Rehab1? Hilarious! :thumbup:

OMG I forgot about that. So embarrassing.:facepalm: Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist. :eff0541f4a:

I should have :pooping: that video. MacGyver would have been more successful but they were fun times.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am calling this stupid behaviour. Trying to unlock a wheel speed setting without getting to know the wheel. Doing so is not helping the EUC community.

In general you are right, but in this particular case I think you exaggerate a little :) With one and half a year of KS-14 riding he is quite experienced EUC rider. He got used to speeds much higher than 20 km/h. For such rider forced 20 km/h limit may in fact be more unsafe, because rider used to ride with higher speed may have to face with quite violent KS-18L tiltbacks at just 20 km/h. Been there, done that.

I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing and I wouldn't call this a stupid behaviour. However you're right that 5 kms is not too much - just a 15-20 minutes of tortures :whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

In general you are right, but in this particular case I think you exaggerate a little :) With one and half a year of KS-14 riding he is quite experienced EUC rider. He got used to speeds much higher than 20 km/h. For such rider forced 20 km/h limit may in fact be more unsafe, because rider used to ride with higher speed may have to face with quite violent KS-18L tiltbacks at just 20 km/h. Been there, done that.

I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing and I wouldn't call this a stupid behaviour. However you're right that 5 kms is not too much - just a 15-20 minutes of tortures :whistling:

This is a perfect time to know how a tiltback feels like so you don't have first expireance at 50kmh.

Really 15-20min of torture...please reflect of what tortue really means, and tell me once again who is exaggerating.

everybody references the tilt back on the ks18l.. maybe mine has newer firmware as its the XL and i just got it but the tiltback is extremely polite and not jarring in the slightest... the tiltback on my 16s however attempts to buck you right off the thing, but its all part of the fun xD

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG I forgot about that. So embarrassing.:facepalm: Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist. :eff0541f4a:

I should have :pooping: that video. MacGyver would have been more successful but they were fun times.

So history should stand. Atleast for us to be able to quote you and accidents are linked together 😉 or maybe you name is enough, maybe.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

everybody references the tilt back on the ks18l.. maybe mine has newer firmware as its the XL and i just got it but the tiltback is extremely polite and not jarring in the slightest... the tiltback on my 16s however attempts to buck you right off the thing, but its all part of the fun xD

You must have been accelerating politely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

So history should stand. Atleast for us to be able to quote you and accidents are linked together 😉 or maybe you name is enough, maybe.

Sir, you’ve made your point and I have politely acknowledged it. Please take the borderline hostility to an alternate post. 

I’d like to get back to unlocking the wheel with out losing two valuable days of my life. 

6 hours ago, fourthewin said:

Sir, you’ve made your point and I have politely acknowledged it. Please take the borderline hostility to an alternate post. 

I’d like to get back to unlocking the wheel with out losing two valuable days of my life. 

There was no hostility in @Unventor‘s comment. 

• Like 2