GT16 Top Speed Test - Fall at 51km/h without protection

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/28/2018 at 9:42 PM, Mono said:

That doesn't come as a big surprise. I have downloaded it but I will respect the will of the original poster and not put it online again. It's not super interesting in itself anyways.

Given that a new, doctored video has come out, I had to re-evaluate my position somewhat. Below is a shot of parts of the first and the second video in the decisive moment right before the fall, when the left arm has gone up and is horizontal at this moment, as it can be seen over the horizon to the left. In the top case, the battery charge status started with over 70% and went under 50% during the first acceleration, back to over 70% at the turn and down again on the second leg to 48% and 37ºC at the moment of the accident. Otherwise, spot the differences/mistakes by yourselves:

148347641_ScreenShot2018-11-30at00_19_27.thumb.png.9b88d0e6230d07808a79fe83f06c9209.png

EDIT: now it's out there anyway:

1 hour ago, Jean Dublin said:

Too late, the news outlets have the video all over the place already...

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/3504113/0/hombre-estrella-monociclo-madrid/

I guess the lesson to learn is: we should all urge your fellow riders to please not do this kind of non-sense in the first place. I hope it's not too late.

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

That's just my

Thanks.

you can take it or leave it as you see fit.

Well aware. 

That's no skin off my nose.

Cool. 

4 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

I didn't know about that official top speed. But I know that Rockwheel gave me recommend maximum speeds depending on the battery level panel/voltage. The maximum for over 78V was 35km/h.

I had the tilt back set at 37km/h from the first day, even before I knew about that recommend max speed, but I knew some people were doing 45km/h (or even heard 54km/h), so I knew 37km/h was "safe". 

Yeah, @Yi Chen posted recommended max speeds at different charge levels. He is cool that way, rather than hollering the GT16 can do 50, he tries to get us to use a reasonable safety margin. But the cut off in the air for the GT16 is at ~65 or so, if I don't misremember. I'm not sure ~48 kph is really "official", but it has been the speed talked about as the max "safe" speed at 100% battery. I wouldn't try it personally, since I'm not weighing in at 60 kgs dripping wet, as many of those Chinese test riders are... For me I counted 40-42 as the practical max, and then only in ideal conditions.

4 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Too late, the news outlets have the video all over the place already...

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/3504113/0/hombre-estrella-monociclo-madrid/

FFS, this isn't good. As if the general cluelessness among politicians how to handle these new tech wasn't enough. Now we get clickbait á la EUC in the papers! :facepalm:

On 11/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, Mono said:

Too late, sorry.

OK, I was maybe too quick :)

On 11/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, Lutalo said:

This is cancerous. You are actually microscoping my analogy?

Yes, I was scrutinizing an analogy.

Dude. Your friends and coworkers must consider you an absolute blast.

They do, actually, thanks for caring. I find bad arguments in favor of my favorite pet theory (or in favor of the good guys, if you like) more unsettling than bad arguments against. Hence I do call out bad arguments on either side. This also helps keeping confirmation bias under control, even a lot, I believe. Not everyone needs to appreciate that, that's fine too.

My comment was about the video and a guy who obviously did something dangerous. Yet, you want to debate minutiae?

I am passing on this one :D

25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just googled it, it’s all over the place. :facepalm:

Now they all go and see the video with the fake km/h, he should really take that video down from YouTube.

I didn't find much in English news (which will come soon), but I see a few English new outlets asking on the new video's comments if they can get permission to use it.

I wonder how did the other ones use the video without permission, as that is illegal.
I can also imagine the news picking the story again to highlight the new video with the changed speed...

@Reciodvd , will you sue them for using the video without your permission?

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

El video falso de velocidad podría volver a mordernos. "Mire qué peligrosas son estas cosas a 17 km / h. Escuché que algunas de ellas pueden recorrer 60 km / h"

video borrado

18 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Even my mother saw the video being covered on Spanish TV! Mad.

@Reciodvd This is taking on a life of its own:

• You made a mistake not respecting the limits of the GT16, and even doing so without any protection.
  • Then you made another mistake uploading the video in channels that anyone can see, including politicians and journalists. You may have had good intentions, but the video is now all over the media doing enormous damage to our hobby.
  • Then you made a final mistake posting a video with a speedometer that shows speeds that are pretty obviously bogus.

There is a saying that if you step into a mud puddle with a loud splash, it will sound even worse when you try to pull your boot out of it. The meaning being that if you make a serious mistake, it is often better to own up to it than try to explain it away. Taking the consequences of your actions will in the end be what makes the thing die down.

Trying to "minimize the damage" by posting a second video that looks doctored is not the way to do it.

What should have been done, would be to provide an explanation and an apology. That would serve as a reminder to other would be speed-freaks, that it is not the smart thing to do. It would also minimize the damage in the press. Something like:

"I did a really stupid thing. To even be able to go that fast, I had to disable all the safety features of my electrical unicycle.'
"I thought I knew what I was doing, but I clearly didn't. Something that should be obvious from the fact that I didn't even wear a helmet, which I normally do.
"Luckily my hurts will heal quickly, but I may well have hurt our hobby permanently. I am now afraid that my stupidity will affect all those riders that are much more careful than me.
"Please don't let my personal stupidity affect all those that ride legally! That would be a real tragedy."

@Reciodvd

What should have been done, would be to provide an explanation and an apology. ...

"I did a really stupid thing. To even be able to go that fast, I had to disable all the safety features of my electrical unicycle.'
"I thought I knew what I was doing, but I clearly didn't. Something that should be obvious from the fact that I didn't even wear a helmet, which I normally do.
"Luckily my hurts will heal quickly, but I may well have hurt our hobby permanently. I am now afraid that my stupidity will affect all those riders that are much more careful than me.
"Please don't let my personal stupidity affect all those that ride legally! That would be a real tragedy."

I read the comment on the original video, he did explain that he did something stupid, that he should have worn protection (which he usually does) and that it was not needed for him to use the wheel at that moment and he used it only to "test the limits", which again, was stupid, mainly without protection.
He also said he hoped the video would help make other riders aware of the danger of going too fast and he hoped nobody else would be as stupid as he was by doing that.

On the description of the 2nd video he was complaining about the media not even reading the description of the first video, and only taking the images and making up a story that would make the headlines, pretty much clickbate, which clearly worked well for the media.

The only way to have those messages visible would have been to have them in the middle of the video (not even after the fall, as the media may even have cut that part...)
To predict that this would get this far would not have been easy.

@Reciodvd
Thanks for deleting the 2nd/new/fake video.
You did something stupid, you recognised it and shared that with the idea of showing other riders what can happen. I understand that you didn't think of the consecuences.

Don't mind or don't even read all the comments people are doing online, as there is very bad comments.
I hope this will server as a lesson for you and the whole community.

Many other people in the community fell and recorded the fall, some of them uploaded it and also broke some bones.
They were lucky not to be put in the spotlight by the media, like it happened on this case (with people making all sorts of stupid and cruel comments).

25 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

I read the comment on the original video, he did explain that he did something stupid, that he should have worn protection (which he usually does) and that it was not needed for him to use the wheel at that moment and he used it only to "test the limits", which again, was stupid, mainly without protection.
He also said he hoped the video would help make other riders aware of the danger of going too fast and he hoped nobody else would be as stupid as he was by doing that.

On the description of the 2nd video he was complaining about the media not even reading the description of the first video, and only taking the images and making up a story that would make the headlines, pretty much clickbate, which clearly worked well for the media.

The only way to have those messages visible would have been to have them in the middle of the video (not even after the fall, as the media may even have cut that part...)
To predict that this would get this far would not have been easy.

@Reciodvd
Thanks for deleting the 2nd/new/fake video.
You did something stupid, you recognised it and shared that with the idea of showing other riders what can happen. I understand that you didn't think of the consecuences.

Don't mind or don't even read all the comments people are doing online, as there is very bad comments.
I hope this will server as a lesson for you and the whole community.

Many other people in the community fell and recorded the fall, some of them uploaded it and also broke some bones.
They were lucky not to be put in the spotlight by the media, like it happened on this case (with people making all sorts of stupid and cruel comments).

If the second video is down, that is all good.

Understand that I'm not trying to be mean or grill him unneccesarily. But most of those who has any kind of experience with situations where the media coverage have run out of control, probably know that the worst thing you can do, is to come across as anything short of earnest...

Having two videos out with different speed readings is bad whichever video is the correct one. But when the second video clearly has a higher mileage count, and just about anyone with a stopwatch and knowledge of street-markings can clock the speed as much higher than what the speedometer says, then it is REALLY bad.

If he were me, I would contact the paper where the first article appeared, to ask them to publish a comment from me where I explain what happened and why it was stupid.

15 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Si él fuera yo, me pondría en contacto con el periódico donde apareció el primer artículo, para pedirles que publicaran un comentario donde explique qué sucedió y por qué fue estúpido.

entiendo lo que dices pero eso ya no serviría para nada, lo mejor es que pase y se acabe todo

23 minutes ago, Reciodvd said:

entiendo lo que dices pero eso ya no serviría para nada, lo mejor es que pase y se acabe todo

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm me and you're you, so you make your own decisions.

2 hours ago, Reciodvd said:

How did they get permission (license?) to use your video?

Cómo han conseguido permiso para utilizar tu vídeo?

On 11/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, Jean Dublin said:

I wonder how did the other ones use the video without permission, as that is illegal.

youtube license?

26 minutes ago, Mono said:

youtube license?

Maybe they can say it is "Fair Use" because they only took a small part of the video (it went on for many more minutes as he waited for someone to pick him up).

https://www.quora.com/How-much-of-someones-youtube-video-can-I-use-in-my-youtube-video

On 11/26/2018 at 7:21 PM, Scatcat said:

Even with protection, there is nothing. REPEAT nothing on the market, that can brace your arms and shoulders well enough to compensate for a stiff impact. The likelihood of a major breakage in your hands, arms or shoulders at 50 kph is pretty close to unity. Good padding with D3O may lessen the impact some, maybe stop the breakage at a fracture level, but don't bet on it.

Untrue. I’ve fallen at 33mph and came out with no damage except a slightly bruised knee. Plenty of people have fallen off at 25+ Mph speeds without breaking things. The important thing is that YOU aren’t stiff. Like the pasta noodle concept: a stiff noodle will just snap upon impact but a loose noodle(muscle) will absorb impact without snapping in two. 

Good CE gear like d30 is designed to protect you at motorcycle speeds. EUC speeds is laughable for level 2 CE armor. You won’t feel a thing. You just have to avoid flailing limbs that stiffen and subsequently snap. Relax in a fall, don’t tense up. 

Archived