Jean Dublin

GT16 Top Speed Test - Fall at 51km/h without protection

Warning: This video is not for the faint of heart.
Crazy stuff, but it could have gone much worse.

Thanks to @Nic for sharing it on my Sold GT16 topic as a comment.

1st video uploaded (removed from Youtube, but on many news outlets)

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/monociclo+accidente/keywords_blended_posts?epa=SEARCH_BOX

x1hNOn1.jpg

It became one of the most viral videos online in Spain for a week, so it even showed up on different Spanish TV channels, this being one:
https://www.lasexta.com/programas/arusitys/mejores-momentos/un-hombre-graba-su-caida-en-monociclo-al-perder-el-equilibrio-por-culpa-del-postureo-video_201811285bfe3f880cf2f27f34a9ffd0.html

On that one they say he lost balance at 50km/h and fell.

The 2nd video with the fake speedometer has been removed.

In Spanish, before falling, he said: "this is where I fell last time".

On the description of the video he explains how bad what he did was and uses it as a warning for riders to use protection, not like him.

He also explains that he was testing the limits of the wheel.

He's lucky to still be alive after such a fall.

Edited by Jean Dublin

On 11/21/2018 at 5:47 PM, DiZZy said:

He was very lucky to not get more hurt from the fall, or  from oncoming auto traffic. Hopefully, we can all learn from this and always wear protective gear when pushing the extreme limits of the EUC / personal limits.

Though no protection gear would have helped him if he had caught oncoming traffic. And we saw that he didn't really needed a helmet, am I wrong?

EDIT: I think he was going on some sideline for parking, so oncoming traffic was separated by additional space.

Edited by Mono

Noob mistake.  Hopefully he will never do that again.  

13 hours ago, F.J. Abaya said:

Why not wear protection when you’re going to push the limits of your EUC?

Why push the limits of your EUC before you have a well informed idea of the inner workings and limitations of EUCs, that is, before you actually know what you are doing?

no me cai por el limite de la rueda, me cai porque me desequilibre, no tenia que hacer esa prueba en ese momento, sali a probar la camara y me anime demasiado ya  que siempre llevo protecciones

@Reciodvd, are you sure you understand the torque characteristics of electric motors depending on speed?

If you keep on accelerating, you are bound to run out of torque and just fall over on your face on any EUC. Tiltback is meant to prevent this by stopping the rider from accelerating.

Edited by Mono

@Reciodvd

The most crazy is that you said "here is where I fell last time" before getting to 51km/h without protection, it was easy to see it coming. I hope you wont try it again.

(Spanish: la mayor locura es que dices "aquí es donde me caí la otra vez" antes de ponerte a 51kmh sin protección, era fácil saber que la caída es lo que venia. Espero que no lo vuelvas a repetir otra vez).

34 minutes ago, DiZZy said:

Recio said he fell because he lost balance, not because he reached the performance limits of the EUC.

Losing balance is a consequence of reaching the performance limit.

3 hours ago, Reciodvd said:

el lamento no es por dolor, es cuando me impresiono y veo mi brazo colgando, anteriormente en otras pruebas la he puesto a 58km/h ese dia sali a probar la camara y me anime a grabarlo y no llevaba la equipacion adecuada (gran error) si es fijais en mis videos de mi canal, siempre voy con protecciones, anteriormente hace unos meses cai tambien ahi pero iba mas despacio.

Por cierto esto es una calle cortada, solo es para aparcar, los coches que se ven circulando van por otra calle.

Translation:

The lament is not by D smell, it is when I was impressed and I see my arm hanging, previously in other tests I have put to 58km/hthat day I went to try the camera and encourage me to record and did not have the appropriate equipment (big mistake) If you fixin my videos of my channel , I always go with protections, anteri ormente a few months ago Cai also there but went slower. 

By the way this is a cut off street, it is only for parking, cars that you see n circulating go by another street.

20181123_083927~01.jpg

20181123_083818~01.jpg

OMG that is one serious break! I’m so sorry! It was hard to watch the video knowing that the outcome would be terrible. Best of wishes on your recovery. 

Edited by Rehab1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

EUCs need to have some mandatory tiltback at a safe speed to help avoid these types of accidents.  They will keep appearing, and it's not good for the sport, the manufacturer's image, and the people involved.

Indeed. It may be the greatest threat to the future of the community.

If the rider was my worst enemy, I would feel cheated that he didn't crack his coconut on the pavement, or get turned into meatpie by an oncoming truck 

He was very lucky to fall at that velocity and walk away with a broken arm.

I think that it should be quite clear to all riders that if you push the wheel beyond its limits it will fail, and you will fall and possibly not survive. 

"The fool shoots himself to test a gun" - African Proverb. 

34 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I think that it should be quite clear to all riders that if you push the wheel beyond its limits it will fail

Maybe it should, but it clearly isn't. Clearly, not everyone is reading technical forums or is ready to work through the physics of understanding the limitations of electric motors and the mechanics of tiltback. I can totally understand that a casual consumer does not expect a product to fail by design in an entirely unsafe way. It doesn't look like a solution to assume that this failure should be clear to all riders.

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

Clearly, not everyone is reading technical forums or is ready to work through the physics of understanding the limitations of electric motors and the mechanics of tiltback.

If reading the safety warnings in the user manual is too exhausting for these individuals. Then, I suppose "shooting themselves to see if the bullets work" will have to do. 

Weird thing is in his previous videos he at least was wearing a helmet.  Kind of like when i fell on my boosted board, i was wearing full gear except on the day that i fell.  LMAO.