GT16 Top Speed Test - Fall at 51km/h without protection

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What thing did you have in mind?  I was just trying to point out that people who choose to do these sorts of tests hopefully soon learn

Darwin isn't quite associated with incapable or wreckless individuals learning to become capable and considerate, but with them being (selectively) killed, thereby winning the so-called Darwin award. I am somewhat surprise that you may not have heard this term before, almost even shocked TBH ;)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was mostly a guy sitting against a dark wall at night in pain holding his arm while rocking back and forth and waiting for help to arrive. The view was from 50 feet away. The fall was typical. He was riding and enjoying life with a new camera and no helmet on a lighted path at night.  ( you could feel his pain as you question how long it would take before he made it to a doctor.)

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Darwin isn't quite associated with incapable or wreckless individuals learning to become capable and considerate, but with them being (selectively) killed, thereby winning the so-called Darwin award. I am somewhat surprise that you may not have heard this term before, almost even shocked TBH ;)

Ah yes I know that award well.  I didn’t want to allude to it directly since the person injured learned his lesson I think and shared his unfortunate incident.  That Darwin reward is more geared towards the hopelessly misguided.  I wonder why the rider took down the video.  It’s a good cautionary tale what can go wrong on an electric unicycle.

There was that one Russian dude though who might have deserved the award... he wore swim trunks and repeatedly crashed his KS18 in that Fast and Furious Fail thread...  I see he’s no longer with us... :blink:  which probably isn’t so surprising?

7 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

This is the internet, he uploaded it and its now ours. 

I assume this is not what you actually believe, as it is pretty far away from reality :P

Y añadido una descripción en el nuevo vídeo qué mucho de vosotros deberíais de ver debido a la repercusión que está teniendo el vídeo en España y ante posibles problemas legales seguro que muchos lo entenderéis

Guys, give him a peace. Of course he did wrong and as a consequence suffered a lot. Why should he suffer more and have more problems? We all should be somehow grateful to him, because we learned his lessons without all the pain he is experiencing. @Reciodvd, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you won't have any further, especially legal problems.

13 hours ago, Mono said:

I assume this is not what you actually believe, as it is pretty far away from reality :P

I 100% believe this mate.  Its not far from reality, it is reality.  You are meaning its far from what you or some law men wrote down on a bit of paper..

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Guys, give him a peace. Of course he did wrong and as a consequence suffered a lot. Why should he suffer more and have more problems? We all should be somehow grateful to him, because we learned his lessons without all the pain he is experiencing. @Reciodvd, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you won't have any further, especially legal problems.

I am sure most of us feel his pain and wish him a speedy recovery.  I for one have done worse without getting hurt. Hopefully I and others will learn from his mistake. 

@Reciodvd Thank you for sharing and We wish you a speedy recovery. No disrespect intended. 

17 hours ago, adampj said:

How does the latest video above compare to the previous video for those that saw it? 

This one is much shorter in the end and the shown speed, mileage and battery status changed. Otherwise it is the exact same, even the time didn't change (interestingly enough).

13 hours ago, maxkan said:

That video is falling at 17 km/h, he was almost able to run off it. 51 km/h must look totally different

It must? Look at the parked cars or the white stripes passing. Anyway, the video is exactly the same, just the speed changed. Everyone's own guess which speed is the correct one.

13 hours ago, Seba said:

Guys, give him a peace. Of course he did wrong and as a consequence suffered a lot. Why should he suffer more and have more problems?

I don't quite see how posing or answering these questions would lead to any additional problems (but I always like to learn and understand more). The video (evidence) is out there. And honestly, I don't quite like faked videos a lot, so that gives me second and third thoughts to keep my "mouth shut".

5 hours ago, maxkan said:

That video is falling at 17 km/h, he was almost able to run off it. 51 km/h must look totally different

I've ridden at 49 kph on my Tesla, and that didn't look like 17 kph to me at least.  Something is a little fishy here... :blink:  I also could have sworn seeing the title of the previous video mentioning the fall speed more like at 51+ kph?

53 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've ridden at 49 kph on my Tesla, and that didn't look like 17 kph to me at least.  Something is a little fishy here... :blink:  

Yeah giving it a second thought that acceleration at second 32 looks much more than 2x, but the speedometer is showing an increase from ~6 to ~12 km/h. 

I wonder if it was faked as an evidence of driving within speed limit? Maybe for insurance purposes?

LMAO.  15kph... someones taking the Micky!!  :lol: 

Fake news, now fake speedos.  Im guessing for these supposed "legal" problems.

My guess, he told insurance one thing and they have seen or heard something different.  Now he is trying to say this is the "original" video.

This is why he wanted it taken down.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:16 PM, Scatcat said:

Just pointing out that we're all friends here... :popcorn:

No offense, but I am not friends with everyone here. I am not personally acquainted with, nor do I discuss very much in a personal context with very many people who use this forum. 

I would very much love to meet and become acquainted with many more people who share my love of EUCs; especially the people on the forum with whom I have had really enjoyable conversations. 

I would also love to meet the rude who habitually overcompensate for social ineptitude by trolling the opinions of others for petty bloodsport and misguided attention whoring. 

However, I realize how unlikely is meeting them given their cowardly constitutions require enshroudment in the warm comfort of anonymity to calm their anxieties. 

Fact is, that if you ride EUCs and don't live in the Washington DC area, we probably have personally never met - yet. It is for this very reason that I make a very conscious effort to ensure that I am civil and respectful of the opinions of others who share their ideas on this forum.

Mutual respect is important to keep the information flowing and the community growing. Mutual respect to me means  finding the point of agreement when conversing with others, and not heightening and escalating points of contention. 

Treat everyone with respect and kindness because you never know who you will meet, or need kindness from on a given day. Never know, so stack chips

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

No offense, but I am not friends with everyone here. I am not personally acquainted with, nor do I discuss very much in a personal context with very many people who use this forum. 

I would very much love to meet and become acquainted with many more people who share my love of EUCs; especially the people on the forum with whom I have had really enjoyable conversations. 

I would also love to meet the rude who habitually overcompensate for social ineptitude by trolling the opinions of others for petty bloodsport and misguided attention whoring. 

However, I realize how unlikely is meeting them given their cowardly constitutions require enshroudment in the warm comfort of anonymity to calm their anxieties. 

Fact is, that if you ride EUCs and don't live in the Washington DC area, we probably have personally never met - yet. It is for this very reason that I make a very conscious effort to ensure that I am civil and respectful of the opinions of others who share their ideas on this forum.

Mutual respect is important to keep the information flowing and the community growing. Mutual respect to me means  finding the point of agreement when conversing with others, and not heightening and escalating points of contention. 

Treat everyone with respect and kindness because you never know who you will meet, or need kindness from on a given day. Never know, so stack chips

My advice, should you be interested, is taking a step back. Saying we're all friends it both a false and true statement:

I am by no means in accord with everything expressed here by everyone. It is also pretty clear to me that my views of the world are not the same as everybody else here. I'm not even sure I would like everybody here if we hung out in real life. Even so, we're here because we share a passion. Given that, I choose to be as easygoing as possible, I choose to interpret people with the most "benefit of the doubt" that I can.

Most of us say or write things from time to time that seem obvious to us, but are not so to others. In most cases I suspect the same "conflict" would be resolved in thirty seconds flat offline. With the benefit of the instant feedback of a normal conversation, the points of contention would turn out to actually be non-existent or trivial.

To be quite frank, I didn't even get what the essence of the abrasion was this time. Yes, I could interpret the disagreement, but I found it to be worth a shrug at most.

That's just my 5¢, you can take it or leave it as you see fit. That's no skin off my nose.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've ridden at 49 kph on my Tesla, and that didn't look like 17 kph to me at least.  Something is a little fishy here... :blink:  I also could have sworn seeing the title of the previous video mentioning the fall speed more like at 51+ kph?

My eyebrows took a ride up to my non-existent hair-line when I saw the speedometer at 17kph. I've ridden fast, and I've recorded it. 17kph can look fast if the camera is very close to the ground, but in this case it wasn't.

However, I see no reason to make an issue out of it. I think the point came across pretty fine anyways. If the old video needed to come down and be replaced with this for legal purposes, who gives a sh*t? I think mr @Reciodvd will not do the same stupid again, ever.

To some extent the kind of video that was posted originally can do nothing but hurt us as a community, and should never have been posted - at least not on YouTube.

The community as a whole need to learn the consequences of testing the limits. Not only do you risk your own health and in worst case life, but you risk the survival of EUCs as a concept. If we can't ride our EUCs in a few years time, the reason will at least in part be all those mavericks that think simple physics don't apply to THEM.

But I will give Reciodvd the benefit of the doubt. Let him do what he thinks he must. I just hope that he learned the lesson and become one of us that try to make this as safe a hobby as possible.

13 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

To some extent the kind of video that was posted originally can do nothing but hurt us as a community, and should never have been posted - at least not on YouTube.

I disagree. Such videos MUST be posted. Some EUCs CAN go that fast. And not everyone (almost no one?) is able to constantly maintain control on that speed. People must be warned.

6 minutes ago, maxkan said:

I disagree. Such videos MUST be posted. Some EUCs CAN go that fast. And not everyone (almost no one?) is able to constantly maintain control on that speed. People must be warned.

Yes I get your point. But I'm not sure I agree. Actually I would wish to agree, because your point is well taken. New riders, as well as daredevils/mavericks should see exactly what happens when you think you're invincible and that YOU can go beyond the limits without anything happening. There is a knowledge gap that needs to be addressed.

BUT. Most EUC-riders don't go 50kph. Most of us cruise around 25-30, maybe 35kph, and even that is sometimes a bit faster than is truly smart. We're not @Reciodvd fast, we're @Marty Backe fast. So for the majority of us, the videos of people going too damn fast, crashing and burning will do nothing but hurt. If the only ones watching were those would be accidents waiting to happen, that would be one thing. But you can bet your sweet arse some viewers will be police, politicians or just the outraged public hating electrical vehicles. For those, these videos will be nothing but arguments to prohibit us from riding.

So it's not an easy conundrum to solve.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

However, I see no reason to make an issue out of it.

My issue is that faking/modifying evidence is problematic, because people may take decisions based on such evidence.

Any informed decision must be based on evidence and even worse here, for a complex system like an EUC, observed evidence is more or less the only reliable source to make decisions. That makes faking/modifying evidence a big issue if it were done on a regular basis.

I can't and won't complain if or whether people publish their experiences. But publishing faked/modified evidence is just not OK.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Scatcat said:

@Mono & @LutalohThe official top speed is something like ~48kph at ~80% battery, 

I didn't know about that official top speed. But I know that Rockwheel gave me recommend maximum speeds depending on the battery level panel/voltage. The maximum for over 78V was 35km/h.

I had the tilt back set at 37km/h from the first day, even before I knew about that recommend max speed, but I knew some people were doing 45km/h (or even heard 54km/h), so I knew 37km/h was "safe". 

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

My issue is that faking/modifying evidence is problematic, because people may take decisions based on such evidence.

Any informed decision must be based on evidence and even worse here, for a complex system like an EUC, observed evidence is more or less the only reliable source to make decisions. That makes faking/modifying evidence a big issue if it were done on a regular basis.

I can't and won't complain if or whether people publish their experiences. But publishing faked/modified evidence is just not OK.

You have, err saw i mean, the original video.. does the speedo look different?

11 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I've seen the 51km/h one going around on WhatsApp (a downloaded video)

The 17km/h video may become an issue for Rockwheel, making people think they are not safe and they cut off at 17km/h for no reason...

26 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Yes, as I wrote above and as the title of the thread suggests which is exactly spot on. Sorry, didn't get the question at first. The speedo is/looks exactly the same, just with less mileage on it in the original (first) footage.

Archived