Should I start riding my other two EUCs or just ride my learning wheel until I get really good?

SanDiegoGuy

Right now I am learning on my Solowheel Glide 3 and I am getting much better at it.  I can ride and circle around a big building for a long time until my legs get tired.   I can make small turns.   I can start and stop easily and can ride up to max speed in short periods of time.  However, I cannot do backward riding yet and cannot maneuver among crowds.

I have been riding about 60 miles on my Glide 3.

I also have brand new Ninebot Z10 and Gotway Mten3 that have not been ridden yet.  My question is:  Should I go ahead and learn how to ride on the Z10 and Mten 3 now or should I wait until I get really good at the Glide 3 before I start using the Z10 and Mten3 ?

Ride often and ride everything, don't wait.

EUC riding is like a muscle, language, etc.: if you stop using it, it starts to go away (my personal experience). Plus, every EUC model is slightly different to adjust riding on, more dramatically different when switching tire widths. This is one of the reasons why I own a variety of size EUCs and switch between them frequently.

At that point I would focus on riding the wheel you are most comfortable with in order to get more familiar with riding in general. It might be frustrating to start learning new wheels at this point, as it might slow down the process. Once you feel more secure riding beyond your yard, taking on other wheels should also be quite a bit faster.

That said, we do this 95% for fun. You have really cool wheels in your stable, no harm in trying them out. If the Z10 is more fun after all, ride on that.

Ps. I would forget about riding backwards. It’s not a very useful skill, and can be learned at any point in the future. Took me 9000km before I started learning.

It depends on how risk-adverse you are versus how quickly you want to learn, that is, switching wheels will make you learn much quicker but you'll also dump the wheel a lot doing so.

If you're ok with banging up your wheels and you have some confidence in your ability to catch falls, then mix up your wheels.

However, may I suggest an alternative? Take your Glide 3 and ride mild off-road such as paths and grass, steep dirt downhills. Once you get minimal comfort off-road (it is scary at first), then try your other wheels.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:52 AM, SanDiegoGuy said:

My question is:  Should I go ahead and learn how to ride on the Z10 and Mten 3

Yes, plain and simple.

I would say you don't need to get really good, but just good enough to feel comfortable wherever you are taking it. Confidence is an important thing when taking on harder to ride wheels.

4 hours ago, mkygod said:

I would say you don't need to get really good, but just good enough to feel comfortable wherever you are taking it. Confidence is an important thing when taking on harder to ride wheels.

RIght, and having been able to ride different wheels may be hard to beat as confidence booster.

Archived