Witch wheel to buy for about 1100euro

Isak Alexius

I'm considering buying a new onewheel. I have an orb wheel x2 atm. But now after driving it for a while, I've been tired because it's running too slowly and too short range. That wheel have a maxspeed off 18km/h and that was to slow for me. Im going to use my new wheel in the city and use it to travel to school. Which is about 8km. My price range for this wheel is about 1100euro.

The wheels i have been thinking moste about is the KS14S and KS16S.

KS16S looks like a dream unicycle but its a bit to pricy. If i but KS 16S i have to buy it with the smallest battery 680Wh and most of the comment i have seen ppl recomend to buy the biggest battery.And 

If i buy KS14S it is just a little bit cheaper then the KS16S and seen some review where they disliked that when the batteri is about 70% the speed drops drastically. 

How is it to transport the ks16S on busses compered to the 14S. I have only ridden electric unicycles at max 18 km/h So i dont know how fast i want to go if the ks16S is to fast and unnecessary power.

I weigh 81 kg and 186 tall if it matter

This wheel i am about to buy will i use almost everyday for some years so would like a product with good build quality :)

Should I buy any of these two wheels or someone else?

sorry for my english and unstructured text hope you understand something :)

Actually the 14S Drops the Speed at About 40-45%...there have been Firmware improvements.

Nonetheless for a range one way of 8kmh i would tend to the 16S...it is just the more comfy Wheel with its 16inch and has a higher top-Speed.

Believe me, once you can ride very good, you want a top-Speed higher than 30kmh....

14inch wheels are better for tricks...but as bigger the Wheel Diameter gets the better the wheels are for real traveling-long range.

Also your are not the smallest and lightest...that also speaks at least for a 16inch Wheel.

My 2 Cents...

For that budget I would rather be looking to a Inmotion V8, that wheel has proven to be very good and is loved throughout the community !

I owned the 16s and can only say positive things about it, but it's more pricey and heavier then the V8.. 

and you should be able to get a good price if you look around for the V8 after the coming out of the V10

cheers

CL

one vote for 16s.. for what it packs it is amazingly small and lightweight and the 35 speed is just right imo.. it is ridiculously easy to trolley around.. but i do strongly advise against anything lower than the 840 wh battery, you will soon regret it in more ways than one trust me.. and the v8 is okay, fine for a short commute but these wheels are fun as hell and soon youll want to go everywhere on it, and the measly 480 wh battery will be sure to disappoint, not to mention 30 kph i feel is just a tad too sow if you only plan to have one wheel, and with that puny battery the top speed will not stay 30 for long

ps. if you hunt around quite a bit you should be able to find a 16s 840 wh for 1100 euro.. if not just slightly over but i can guarantee youll be wishing you did if you get the smaller capacity

If you have a budget for a KS 16S one could question why not to go for a V10 or V10f or 18L they are practically at the same price range but you get a more recent wheel, off course it's all up to what  you will be using it for.. 

I thought that the 16S would be the thing for me, so I bought one, until I rode the V10F and KS18L , they were a much better fit for me... but then again they are not sold for 1100 euros, nor does the KS16S is sold for that price.. the V8 on the other hand is, well build and a definitely winner for so many people... so my vote would go to that one..

1 minute ago, Cumulus Libre said:

If you have a budget for a KS 16S one could question why not to go for a V10 or V10f or 18L they are practically at the same price range but you get a more recent wheel, off course it's all up to what  you will be using it for.. 

I thought that the 16S would be the thing for me, so I bought one, until I rode the V10F and KS18L , they were a much better fit for me... but then again they are not sold for 1100 euros, nor does the KS16S is sold for that price.. the V8 on the other hand is, well build and a definitely winner for so many people... so my vote would go to that one..

im thinkt he wants a wheel that is more transportable relatively.. besides the chaos of the v10 so probable delays, and if not, probable problems with the wheel right now, and the big price difference of the 18l compared to the 16s, they are not nearly as portable.. v8 is more portable true, but the slight size difference nowhere near makes up for the far superior motor and battery of the 16s.. of course, thats just my opinion

20 hours ago, US69 said:

Actually the 14S Drops the Speed at About 40-45%...there have been Firmware improvements.

Nonetheless for a range one way of 8kmh i would tend to the 16S...it is just the more comfy Wheel with its 16inch and has a higher top-Speed.

Believe me, once you can ride very good, you want a top-Speed higher than 30kmh....

14inch wheels are better for tricks...but as bigger the Wheel Diameter gets the better the wheels are for real traveling-long range.

Also your are not the smallest and lightest...that also speaks at least for a 16inch Wheel.

My 2 Cents...

Yeah! What he said!  He beat me to it. 

19 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

im thinkt he wants a wheel that is more transportable relatively.. besides the chaos of the v10 so probable delays, and if not, probable problems with the wheel right now, and the big price difference of the 18l compared to the 16s, they are not nearly as portable.. v8 is more portable true, but the slight size difference nowhere near makes up for the far superior motor and battery of the 16s.. of course, thats just my opinion

well I can't disagree.. but prices differ from where you live;) ..

the KS16s is for instance here 1600 euros, the V10F is at 1380 euros and the V8 is lower then that 1100 euros.. the 18L is 18OO euros..

and the V10 is even more cheaper then the 1380 euros.. 

off course they are heavier.. but don't underestimate the weight of the KS16S +/- 17kg (and more bulky because of being more wide) the V10f is at 20,5 kg.. but once you really ride you don't lift that much unless into train etc.. but if you look at his size :), I guess that extra 3kg will not be a problem.. ;)

but any of the above mentioned wheels are fine, btw the V10 is in europe easy to get, in fact all mentioned wheels are.. unless the Z10 but from what I understand it's a matter of days... 

8 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

well I can't disagree.. but prices differ from where you live;) ..

the KS16s is for instance here 1600 euros, the V10F is at 1380 euros and the V8 is lower then that 1100 euros.. the 18L is 18OO euros..

and the V10 is even more cheaper then the 1380 euros.. 

off course they are heavier.. but don't underestimate the weight of the KS16S +/- 17kg (and more bulky because of being more wide) the V10f is at 20,5 kg.. but once you really ride you don't lift that much unless into train etc.. but if you look at his size :), I guess that extra 3kg will not be a problem.. ;)

but any of the above mentioned wheels are fine, btw the V10 is in europe easy to get, in fact all mentioned wheels are.. unless the Z10 but from what I understand it's a matter of days... 

1600 euros??? what a rip off lol why so much... and I just realised that the link for speedy feet I posted is in gbp not euros so more expensive than I thought >.> though the eBay one I think is only 1200 euro give or take and it's from China so you can just tell them to fudge the declaration lol though they usually do it either way.. I would just be wary about the v10 to make absolutely sure it has been sent back or the seller has done the waterproofing upgrades because that will lead to major problems, but I think for something portable to take on transit and such it's quite tall and would be awkward.. I'm just average height though so it may be different for someone larger.. then again if you get the v10f just avoid the bus and ride all the way xD I got my first euc around 18 months ago and haven't taken a bus since

I am in favour of buying with a local reseller, the service  you get is to me important, and I have no problem that a dealership is making money over a bit cheaper on alibaba etc.. 

This doesn't apply for everything if you ask me, a screen protector for you phone has little or no added value if you buy it more expensive at a local shop, but for EUC's I think the dealers do have lot's of extra added value..

We all have to eat an the end of the day, that applies for the local dealer as well, if you look at how much effort speedy feet , e-wheels or onewheel.be, etc.. is doing for our sport one can only be happy about such  support, feedback and knowledge.. etc.. 

15 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I am in favour of buying with a local reseller, the service  you get is to me important, and I have no problem that a dealership is making money over a bit cheaper on alibaba etc.. 

This doesn't apply for everything if you ask me, a screen protector for you phone has little or no added value if you buy it more expensive at a local shop, but for EUC's I think the dealers do have lot's of extra added value..

We all have to eat an the end of the day, that applies for the local dealer as well, if you look at how much effort speedy feet , e-wheels or onewheel.be, etc.. is doing for our sport one can only be happy about such  support, feedback and knowledge.. etc.. 

agreed, however after checking the European sites I'm baffled at the price difference compared to local Canadian and US shops that offer similar warranty, repairs etc.. just wondering why it's more, im sure it's out of their control however and I'm not blaming them, though with the new US tariffs I suspect the prices will raise there too very soon.. heres where i got mine from.. not sure how much shipping is to you but it cant be that outrageous,, only 1050 euro https://freemotionshop.com/product/kingsong-ks-16s-840wh-black-matte/

While the sellers can’t keep the 16S listed on Aliexpress, if you message the trusted sellers (Green Fashion, FEIER, etc), they will put it up there for a while and the price should be the same 950€ including shipping & tax. At least that’s how it was last year and still a few months ago.

I agree that a local shop is definitely an added value, but considering the 16S, what would the seller have to do to justify an added value of 650€, about 70%? For that price I would gladly learn to use a screwdriver if I yet couldn’t.

heh, I love the recommendation for the 16S over the V8 because of the "far superior motor."  They go the same speed if you unlock the V8 using wheellog and the V8 has better torque.  You really have to do your own research on this forum.  There's so much dubious info always presented as hard fact.  

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

heh, I love the recommendation for the 16S over the V8 because of the "far superior motor."  They go the same speed if you unlock the V8 using wheellog and the V8 has better torque.  You really have to do your own research on this forum.  There's so much dubious info always presented as hard fact.  

sure, if you wanted to go past the manufacturer firmware limit and risk a cut out, especially with that tiny ass battery.. and i dont know why you use quotes for superior motor as last i checked 50% more wattage is substantial

Just now, MrT said:

Hi have the 14s and it's a fantastic wheel. I use the trains a lot so often have to carry the wheel up and down the stairs if there are no lifts available. I believe it weighs around 15kg.

another geat wheel, with a large battery and tons of torque due to the relatively large motor to small overall and tire size.. i would only be wary about a 14" wheel for your size but tbh i dont think with the 14S it would be a problem.. its a very popular wheel im sure you can see tons of reviews on it and if youre willing to compromise the 5 kmph for a more portable wheel plus its cheaper, then its definitely worth looking into

@mezzanine I agree! The V8 has been excellent from my experience. It is more than powerful enough.

What I find amazing is how they managed to keep the weight down. A 16 inch wheel being lighter than the 14inch Kingsong 14D/S.

Also the 16inch wheel is more forgiving than the 14inch in most situations.

It is more practical and more modern than the Kingsong 14s in my opinion.The motor power kill switch is a huge bonus.

Having previously owned A Tesla, I find myself prefering this to it. 

1 minute ago, Edddeus said:

@mezzaniney I agree! The V8 has been excellent from my experience. It is more than powerful enough, 

It is lighter than the smaller Kingsong 14D/S and has higher pedals for ground clearance. 

This reminds me of when my grandfather told me that the straight 6 in my 57’ Chevy was plenty of power. I swapped it for a 400 small block anyways. 

I will have to say that some people really love the V8 and that is great. I would just like to see how they use them. I just can’t see how that small battery and motor can keep up. The motor could be under rated but the batteries are not. 

The V8 is powerful......compared to some of the first wheels made and weak compared to most everything else. 

Something else to consider is that InMotion seems to have cheapened there wheels lately so you might not be getting the same wheel that some people love.... Just a thought. 

27 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I will have to say that some people really love the V8 and that is great. I would just like to see how they use them. I just can’t see how that small battery and motor can keep up. The motor could be under rated but the batteries are not. 

The V8 is powerful......compared to some of the first wheels made and weak compared to most everything else. 

As long as "everything else" does not have longer pedals (and very few do), the power limitation for an 80kg rider comes rather from the pedal size, possibly from the motor, but not from the battery. Essentially, even if I stand virtually on the tip of its pedals at 5km/h-or-so, the V8 will hardly dip. Because the motor torque decreases with increasing speed, at some higher speed the motor's torque limitation may overtake to be the limiting factor. Like the torque, the demand on the battery also decreases with increasing speed, so it can't quite be the limiting power factor, AFAICS.

31 minutes ago, Mono said:

As long as "everything else" does not have longer pedals (and very few do), the power limitation for an 80kg rider comes rather from the pedal size, possibly from the motor, but not from the battery. Essentially, even if I stand virtually on the tip of its pedals at 5km/h-or-so, the V8 will hardly dip. Because the motor torque decreases with increasing speed, at some higher speed the motor's torque limitation may overtake to be the limiting factor. Like the torque, the demand on the battery also decreases with increasing speed, so it can't quite be the limiting power factor, AFAICS.

I am 100kg. I can easily make my KS16S Beep on acceleratoin and braking. I can run it fast and hard for just a few minutes and de-saturate the 840wh battery ( check the battery and it shows 60%. Let it sit for 15 minuets and check the battery 85%) I know the battery is good because I can go 26-28 miles on one charge. If I do the same thing on the MSuper (1600wh) I still get de-saturation but not nearly as bad. ( 5%) The V8’s batteries are much smaller at 480wh. I just don’t see it.

The capacity is computed by measuring the voltage. A "de-saturation" capacity drop from 100% to 50% means a voltage drop by less than 10%. Only voltage is directly related to current and hence torque. Another factor may be battery temperature, which modulates the inner resistance and hence current and hence torque. Then, 25% in weight difference is not entirely negligible and the KingSong uses a different battery type than the InMotion. eWheels rates the V8 battery at 1440W (using more or less worst-case-empty-battery-voltage for the computation, 40 * 3.6V * 10A = 1440W), see the last figure at

https://www.ewheels.com/choosing-an-electric-unicycle-with-the-right-battery-pack-for-you/

When I pass bumps on the V8, I do get once in a while beeps that I interpret as overload warning. So yes, maybe I wouldn't get those with a larger battery pack. Yet also in these cases, the critical factor seemed to me to be so far rather my ability to stay on the pedal than the EUC's ability to resist the 80kg pedal push down.

@RockyTop for me it is ideal for commuting in the city and for local use. I use it every single day. 

You see the thing is I also love to do tricks on the V8. It is perfect for that. I can't do much tricks on my other wheel,  the 100V Monster.

Archived