Decisions, decisions

Thai-lad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A used KS14C with only a couple hundred kilometers of previous use... which I have now apparently bricked while using the KS app to set the alarms and tilt back, I guess I shouldn't have clicked the check firmware tab.  I DID NOT click update the firmware, but it still turned off and won't turn on now... :( Also the App said I had an illegal hardware, and no serial number was visible to the app...   wahhhhhh....

Bloody thing was still stationary in the box the whole time, foam padding holding it still and vertical.  

3 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

A used KS14C with only a couple hundred kilometers of previous use... which I have now apparently bricked while using the KS app to set the alarms and tilt back, I guess I shouldn't have clicked the check firmware tab.  I DID NOT click update the firmware, but it still turned off and won't turn on now... :( Also the App said I had an illegal hardware, and no serial number was visible to the app...   wahhhhhh....

Bloody thing was still stationary in the box the whole time, foam padding holding it still and vertical.  

Would you please kindly contact KS Tahiland and ask for help with the „engeneer app“?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

Whoa, that's really bad luck... :o hope you get it fixed soon. @US69 can't you send the engineer app to him privately with instructions? I thought you had it.

11 minutes ago, esaj said:

Whoa, that's really bad luck... :o hope you get it fixed soon. @US69 can't you send the engineer app to him privately with instructions? I thought you had it.

In the end yeah..but he shoild first try over Ks Thailand, please..

1 hour ago, US69 said:

In the end yeah..but he shoild first try over Ks Thailand, please..

Can the Engineer App connect to a wheel that won't turn on?  I can only turn on the lights and speaker Bluetooth now, the battery display and motor won't activate.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

FYI, since the introduction of the Tesla (2017), the Gotway shims are no longer an issue. This is because with that model, Gotway introduced the steel backing plate which makes it impossible for the axle to distort the shims over time.

Hmm. Does this include the ACM v2?

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My original 84V ACM is produced April 2017 and has the backing plates. So you can expect any newer wheels and the ACM2 (I guess you mean that, the Tesla-ized ACM) to have them.

I didn't know that the ACM's from that period had the backing plates. Good to know. My ACM from ~Feb 2017 did not.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't know that the ACM's from that period had the backing plates. Good to know. My ACM from ~Feb 2017 did not.

Yea my first white-panel one (manufactured Nov 2016) didn't have them either, but I was surprised my second ACM (April 17) already had them. That is way before when you mentioned they existed, that's when I checked and found out.

Well as I mentioned I ended up getting a KS14C instead.  And before I had a chance to ride it, I used the orange/white KS app to set the speed alarms and tilt back.  And while doing that the app apparently bricked the unit.

I've been told I should have used the older green app, the orange app is not compatible with such an "old" wheel.

Old being a relative term.  The serial number dates it to manufacture 2 years ago, the original buyer said he bought it a bit over a year ago.

KS Thailand warns me that a late change in boards/motors during production means that if a new board is needed, a new wheel motor to match might also be required.  I will open up the unit tomorrow to see which version of the board I have.  And see if there is any sign that this is all due to a blown fuse or something simple.

The unit's Bluetooth comes on momentarily when I press the power button, but doesn't stay on long enough for any app to connect. So now all apps, including WheelLog or any KS debug/engineering app, are unable to talk to the unit.

If I don't find anything obvious, I'll pack it up and ship it to Bangkok for possible repair.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:49 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

With the latest firmware (and when set to experienced mode) the pedals on the 16S are ROCK SOLID! And that makes the wheel so very responsive.

Hey got a question... what version are you referring to on the new firmware?... I just sold my 16S, I kept the .05 version on the wheel as it felt Great, when I updated to the .07 it didn't feel as good as .05. I told the new buyer not to update till he reads some feedback on the newer updates... I have written in the past that the .05 felt like it got a power Boost sort of...Thanks

Sorry to hear about the issues you have  @Thai-lad , hope you'll soon get this solved!

The app version shouldn't have bricked your device, it should have made a handshake / version check before messing it up.

Programming error or just didn't think about it?

KS should change their apps to prevent this (and if needed update the firmware on the motherboard)

4 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Hey got a question... what version are you referring to on the new firmware?... I just sold my 16S, I kept the .05 version on the wheel as it felt Great, when I updated to the .07 it didn't feel as good as .05. I told the new buyer not to update till he reads some feedback on the newer updates... I have written in the past that the .05 felt like it got a power Boost sort of...Thanks

I am using the current version - v1.08 . And I like that better than v1.07 .

19 hours ago, egiljo said:

Sorry to hear about the issues you have  @Thai-lad , hope you'll soon get this solved!

The app version shouldn't have bricked your device, it should have made a handshake / version check before messing it up.

Programming error or just didn't think about it?

KS should change their apps to prevent this (and if needed update the firmware on the motherboard)

All the app would have had to do is check the name of the BlueTooth connection since it announces itself as a KS14C-xxx.  But they obviously didn't.  Also it wasn't the fuse, I opened up the wheel to check.  Nor are there any blown caps or transistors.  This is purely a software issue, one that is completely Kingsong's fault.  I will send in the wheel to the local rep, but I'm not hopeful.  The momentary contact switch is not triggering the wheel controller board into an "on" state.  While there is probably a way to bypass the software and force the board to stay powered on, I'm not sure a local distributor will have the equipment or knowledge to do that.  I hope I'm wrong.  If the board can be forced to power up, then it can probably be reflashed.  It appears to be an older board with high current leads soldered to the board.  If I remember what I read here correctly, the newer boards had no such leads, they were plugged into a connector?

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update.  The wait is over!

All attempts to rescue the original KS14C control board failed.  But KS Thailand was able to find me a replacement board for the older version of the motor. Price was reasonable so I went ahead and had them install it.  All in a total of about $400 USD now, but I have what is essentially an unused 800 watt unicycle to learn on for that price. Not a bargain but certainly cheaper than a new KS14D would have been.

Took it out for my first hour long session today.  Tried Duf's suggestion of riding along a tennis court fence.  Found having a fence to grab onto a mixed blessing, reaching for it instead of correcting my balance was hindering my progress.  Tomorrow it's going to be riding pole to pole in a covered parking lot instead.  I think I also need to adjust my foot position on the pedals so the back of my heel lines up with the back of the pedal, not past it, since I kept starting out well then coasting to a stop today. Sure was fun when it (briefly) worked!

On 9/1/2018 at 2:01 PM, US69 said:

Good plan!! 3 months :shock2: Great....you will have a fantastic time! I love south east asia and especially Thailand :-)

Country, people...FOOD! 

But @US69, your country have a much more important element, BEER :clap3:

Ok ok some other countries have that too. But same goes for food to you know ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived