Losing your virginity

Thai-lad

Losing your virginity  

76 members have voted

1. 1. At what age did you first mount an EUC?

• Less than 15 years old
    • 15 - 20 years old
    • 21 - 25 years old
    • 26 - 30 years old
    • 31 - 35 years old
    • 36 - 40 years old
    • 41 - 45 years old
    • 46 - 50 years old
    • 51 - 55 years old
    • 56 - 60 years old
    • 61 - 65 years old
    • 66 - 70 years old
    • Over 70 years old

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Electroman said:

Late, 41-45.

Did you enter it in the poll?  It is a serious question even with the tongue in cheek title.  I know that at over 60, I'm coming a bit late to the party :P

1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

Did you enter it in the poll?  It is a serious question even with the tongue in cheek title.  I know that at over 60, I'm coming a bit late to the party :P

Yes friend, think I was second to enter anything to the poll, suspect you was first hehe? :lol:

Ok so I can feel young then? Hehe jokes aside I think it is very cool that so many from young kids to elder jump up on these, such a huge variation of people learning to ride these I thinks it's super cool.

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

Yes friend, think I was second to enter anything to the poll, suspect you was first hehe? :lol:

Ok so I can feel young then? Hehe jokes aside I think it is very cool that so many from young kids to elder jump up on these, such a huge variation of people learning to ride these I thinks it's super cool.

I admit I was a little hesitant when I saw Ninebot recommending these to only 50 and under.  But then I found posts from guys senior to me here and on YouTube that convinced me I should give it a try.  Now I'm just curious at what age most riders started their love affairs with their EUCs.

Cool, good idea Thai-lad, now you have me curious too! :)

Not sure why they would say that, but I have seen all people ride these and a lovely sight to see people form all ages, woman, men ride there, all people not just young bucks hehe.

1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

Interesting that there was no major difference between bikes and scooters.  EUCs on the other hand, would have seen a much lower percentage due to the perceived difficulty of  riding them.

"The recent Morning Consult survey figures, however, suggest the possibility that dockless bikes and electric scooters could become more popular than docked systems among 45- to 54-year-olds." (From same article.)

Spoiler

180724_winning-riders_fullwidth.png

Agree that 'perceived difficulty' would greatly impact appeal if there were an equivalent EUC program (non starter)...

50 minutes ago, RayRay said:

"The recent Morning Consult survey figures, however, suggest the possibility that dockless bikes and electric scooters could become more popular than docked systems among 45- to 54-year-olds." (From same article.)

Hide contents

180724_winning-riders_fullwidth.png

Agree that 'perceived difficulty' would greatly impact appeal if there were an equivalent EUC program (non starter)...

I suggested a possible solution to this problem in another thread:

9 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

I was thinking more along the lines of "How long did you keep it up(right)?"

I tried mounting several times, but just kept getting whacked in the shins for it... :crying:

57.5% as of now writing this first mounted a EUC at 41 years of age or more, this is quite interesting to me, I mean I knew we were a few but a majority?

Is this just us closing in on middle age and up from there rocking, or the cost of electric unicycles prohibiting younger guys from access to these?  :lol:

Speculating wildly but interesting statistics nevertheless, will be interesting to see if more people come and vote to build up the number of people voting.

3 hours ago, Electroman said:

57.5% as of now writing this first mounted a EUC at 41 years of age or more, this is quite interesting to me, I mean I knew we were a few but a majority?

Is this just us closing in on middle age and up from there rocking, or the cost of electric unicycles prohibiting younger guys from access to these?  :lol:

Speculating wildly but interesting statistics nevertheless, will be interesting to see if more people come and vote to build up the number of people voting.

The results aren't what you were expecting :shock2: ??!  You thought you were an outlier, when in fact you're in the majority <_< .  

Polling is anonymous, so I'm hoping more and more people will eventually confess their ages and submit their vote :ph34r:.  

People are oooold here. Not sure if that's because EUCs skew much older than one would think, or a forum is an oldschool thing and younger folks are on FB/Insta/whatever.

My bet is primarily on the former. I'm always shocked when I see a nice ride video and everyone is like 40 or 50:efee78d764:

While we're at it, do we know how old @Hunka Hunka Burning Love is?

Somehow, I think EUC's are perceived as 'old school', while boosted boards (i.e. e-skateboards) are seen as hip and youth oriented.

None of which makes any sense since skateboarding was massively popular in my youth (but Tony Hawk is like 50 now, yet I have no desire to emulate him)... What seems to have happened is the popularity (or stigma) of the non-electrified version of these very new technologies is impacting how people view them...

• e-skateboards benefit from the image of the skateboard as a daredevil sport for those who are young and foolish... :eff034a94a:
    (Good for getting around places, but even better for breaking bones.)
  • e-unicycles are hampered by the image of the unicycle as a 'half-baked' form of a bicycle from the Penny-Farthing era... :eff006f726:
    (Good for a few tricks, but used mostly by circus folk.)

Riding came somewhat late for me, between the end of the Chatterley ban and the Beatles' first LP ...

Actually in my mid-50's. Buying an EUC or even several is cheap compared to getting a divorce and buying a red sports car or the other classic midlife crisis kind of thing. 

Coming soon enough into the years where when you get hurt, it might really count, and last, I wanted to pick one thing I could try to master now so I could do it relatively safely into my old age.  EUC's seemed to fit the bill very nicely, especially since they could get me outdoors and maybe even be something I could do with my dogs.  

For young people, I think the expense is prohibitive.

But also that society has changed a lot in the last few decades.  Parents are extremely protective of their kids these days, who used to be all over the streets,  walking, biking, and skateboarding.  Now in many cities and suburban neighborhoods alike you hardly ever see a kid outdoors unless it's in a parking lot coming from or going to a car.  They're not allowed to play in the front yard anymore.  Some adults now think it's actually abusive to let your kid wanpder around unsupervised.  So, many kids either get ferried everywhere or they stay home.  Their physical activities being largely contained within the limits of a field or a court, often only during prescribed hours.

Shane!  Shane!  Come baaaaack!  It's the end of the frontier.  

And then there's the childhood obesity thing ...

Kids just aren't as physical anymore, and when they are, it's usually not by way of wandering far and wide.  Even if they wanted to, they would't be allowed.  So EUC's don't have the natural constituency they might have had half a century ago.

46 minutes ago, RayRay said:

• e-unicycles are hampered by the image of the unicycle as a 'half-baked' form of a bicycle from the Penny-Farthing era... :eff006f726:
    (Good for a few tricks, but used mostly by circus folk.)

Funny thing is, that's by far one of the most attractive things about unicycles to me -- their quirky foolishness combined with the apparent near impossibility of learning how to ride one.  I love the idea of how unusual and unnecessary, how scandalously silly and pointlessly difficult to no profitable end, the whole business of learning to ride a EUC/unicycle of any sort  appears to be.

I love the "What the ... ????" reaction I have when I see something funny, amazing, or beautiful that I would never have expected. I look forward to feeling that for myself and maybe helping to create a bit of that for others when I've learned to ride.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:26 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

You should make your next poll, "Do you live in your parent's basement?"

Now there’s a poll I can answer truthfully!  :w00t2:

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

People are oooold here....

While we're at it, do we know how old @Hunka Hunka Burning Love is?

I know, right?  :blink: It’s like going on a Holland America cruise and looking for the strip poker partay.   Ain’t happening.  :yawn:  And where’s all the young ladies?  :dribble:  #sodisappointed.

:ph34r: Let’s just say me and @Shad0z could probably pop some pimples together while watching “The Big Bang Theory,” sipping our Mountain Dews, and playing “Fortnite.”  #dothedew  :whistling:

For young people, I think the expense is prohibitive.

The cost of an EUC is perfectly comparable to a good bicycle, it really shouldn’t be prohibitive for 30-year olds. Are they so drawn to their careers and new families that anything with a learning curve is a no-no?

But also that society has changed a lot in the last few decades.  Parents are extremely protective of their kids these days,

I wasn’t expecting actual kids being strong with this poll, but I was sure to find atleast a peak in the 26-35 range. I know I would’ve been excited at 26 had these been available then. But as it were I started EUCing at the young age of 39!

I wasn't thinking 30 when I was thinking young; I probably should have been more clear. I was thinking of kids or those close to that age, and none of the ones I knew had bikes anywhere near that nice.  To me 30 is well past that time, and a different story. 

There are some practical uses for the survey results if enough people take part.  City transportation planners, for example, can use this info when advising legislators to inform them who would likely be impacted by rules and regulations.  Retailers and manufacturers can use the info for marketing and sales or future product planning.  

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I wasn't thinking 30 when I was thinking young; I probably should have been more clear. I was thinking of kids or those close to that age, and none of the ones I knew had bikes anywhere near that nice.  To me 30 is well past that time, and a different story. 

No no, you were plenty clear. The 30 year olds were just the surprise range for me.

Archived