Almost 2 months and 500 miles on my new ACM 1600

Having switched from Ninebot S2 it was very different experience. I was used to not touching the wheel with my legs at all, which gave me a greater control in tight spaces in city like environment. Here I had to lean my calf towards the both sides and even while ACM has these nice soft pads, my legs hurt first week or two. Now it's gone. Also those 20 kg gave me some hard time at first. It also took me like 2 weeks when I finally completely adapt. The weight and different posture stressed my ankles in different way than I was used to and it felt for quite a long time like one heavy bastard. As my body adjusted, I can't tell the difference from S2, speaking of the weight. Well, I can feel the huge difference though. While I'm riding at all times my ACM now, it was a wtf moment when I one time switched back to S2 as I was riding just a short distance to a cinema. And thought why on earth I would drag that big thing with me there. I do, everywhere now. I just can't used to S2 anymore. If I would using it just once in the while, it would take me the whole short trip to get used it. No point forcing it then. I also completely lost the sense of speed and hitting the tiltback way too late when it's way too steep. That didn't really happened to me except the first weeks I was learning Ninebot. At beginnings, I occasionally accelerated way too fast, way too far over the speed limit, usually downhill. And when the tiltback kicked in, it already did in pretty steep angle. There were times I prayed to all the saints not to fall on my back. But just before I learned to anticipate these moments. Having that compared to ACM, tiltback there it is a very very mild instance of what would you experience with S2. Some times I'm not sure I would feel it enough to actually slow down. Sometimes I check the speed just to make sure the tiltback is still in place. And somehow I can't accelerate over the speed limit of 42 km/h I gave myself (to be exact, 39 km/h, but when the tiltback really kicks in, I may already be riding at 42 km/h). It's probably just a mental block, because I'm not aware of the actual speed limit, you couldn't pass with ACM, even with the tiltback on. But I'm grateful for that and hope it stays that way, because I don't feel like trying it's limits. I'm 70 kg by the way, which should be just fine to ride at these speeds, as someone some time ago calculated for the ACM here on the forums.

The speed, now that I got used to it, 40 km/h does not fill me up with the adrenaline as it probably should. Failure at that speed wouldn't be pretty. I ride with wrist guards and bought myself neat knee pads for motocross riders. They are made of the foam that gets hard on impact. I hope it works, only tried hitting it with my hand which seem to work just fine. I think it should provide the same level of protection as the standard skater style knee pads which is pain. They look awful and feel awful. These ones, on the other hand, perfectly fit around the knee, the foam bend as I bend my knee and if I wouldn't be wearing skinny fit jeans, it would fit nicely under the jeans. Plus I wear the cyclist (more like skater style) helmet all the times. I have actually bought myself a scooter helmet, with sliding front glass and no chin. But riding sidewalks with that on my head, people get scared 30 meters ahead of me and sometimes they almost jumped away. With the other helmet I can zoom right next to them without fuss. Funny. As I ride mostly roads now, I maybe should reconsider wearing the tougher one, I guess. Anyway, the first time I started moving on the ACM I was like wow, that's just way too fast for me, and I was only riding at 25 km/h. And then I realized, wtf? I was riding my Ninebot S2 at almost the same speed, but that just didn't feel the same. I came back home to grab the Ninebot, installed 3 different apps for a GPS based speed tracking and guess what. What Ninebot app said was 24 km/h was actually just 20. Have that said, I was usually riding 22 before tiltback was kicking in, which makes the effective top speed of like 18 km/h. Just awesome. ACM app seem to measure much better, plus with the power it possess, 4 km/h wouldn't make that much difference. But with Ninebot, oh well. That explains a lot. On the speed topic, on Ninebot getting rid of the immutable beeps by taking the wheel apart and disconnecting the speaker was inevitable. It's just not humanly possible to keep your speed just below the speed limit without watching the speedometer all the time. And when you know, you already beeping all around the place. Good thing, I could disable both alarms for ACM.

If I should compare ACM again to S2, which is my only option, while both are very different, it just doesn't feel one is better than the other. It's just different, and if you get used to one, you would have some mixed feeling switching for the other until you get used it again. And that works both ways. But the speed and the range win the fight for the ACM with a great margin. Even though ACM is far worse option for city riding compared to Ninebot. Yet if you ride the tar streets the way the cyclist do, avoiding inner city paths, sidewalks and oh my god, cobbles, it doesn't really matter then. There is almost always the way to avoid these if you ride like the cyclist. As long as the local law enforcement is amused enough watching me to actually not to force me to ride sidewalks at speed of the pedestrians, which is the way I should ride by the local legislation. This way the only downside is, if anything should happen, someone wouldn't have give me the right of way, or something, I'm in no place to beef, as I cannot actually ride the streets as cyclist do. Could be worse though I could be banned altogether. It's different from city to city here. But they only did so far in Prague and not all the areas. The reason ACM is bad option for city isn't really the weight, as I read a lot. Why on earth I would carry it, lol. I have no trouble to fit in the crowd at speed of really lazy person walking down the sidewalk, or to avoid both people and obstacles. There is no trouble jumping down the curbs or riding up the curbs with 16 inches wheel. There is maybe slight difference in making a very sharp 180 degree turns. With lightweight S2 I can somehow turn while almost staying on the spot, thought I would scratched the pads hard. With ACM the circle get's bigger. The reason ACM is a bad companion for city riders is for one, the tire pressure and for two, the balance logic. Having bigger, heavier wheel, you need to pressurize more, which leads to harder bumps. I also noticed while riding on bike lane that has interlocking pavement, the more pressure, the more the wheel tends to follows the gabs in between. I'm not saying it would make me fall, but it really makes you feel like you are losing control. I couldn't get passed the 30 km/h with a good conscience. For those and other occasions I like to keep my pressure at 30 psi all the times. I know it's damn low, but I came to conclusion, that it should not hurt the wheel. And the last trouble riding bumpy roads I mentioned is the balance logic. Should I'm not riding the Ninebot before, I couldn't tell though. But Ninebot has that mastered a lot better. If you found yourself on path with some repeating bumps like the cobbles or on tractor rutted paths, the ACM will kick your knees with every bump like hell even at the speed of 3 km/h while it tries to balance you. And whilst doing it, it tends to overlean a lot, making the front of your foot pads almost touch the ground. That happens in extreme way while riding uphill, bearable otherwise and not at all riding downhill. Some not that fun thing also happens if you choose to start your ride already with both feet on the pads, holding to something. In that case if you lean too much, the wheel register that too late and you land on your feet as it tips the whole way to front. First time that happened to me, the wheel fell on the ground behind me and as it stops spinning only after it hits the full speed, it wobbled a lot. Got some scratches on the plastic and my legs as the 20 kg wheel is something that count's if it gets into spin and hit your legs with the pads. And I'm not talking about some crazy lean, with Ninebot I never have experienced that. After that I monitored this closely, and have that happened two more times in upcoming days. Yet not falling as I was holding. In time I learn the right force I need to apply so I wouldn't tip the wheel. Though, this never happened to me while mounting on the fly one leg at the time, which should be the preferred way anyway.

My longest trips so far were 70 kilometers long, which I finished with the battery level of 40%. Which is the lowest level I would allowed myself to ride at 40 km/h anyway. These consisted of uphill, downhill and different surfaces. The official app (the iPhone version) sadly rounds the percentage to the nearest tenth and probably taking into account current battery utilization. That said, riding leveled terrain at average speed gives you sort of accurate number. However, last week I have made 25-ish kilometers and having a nice warm feeling  seeing I still have 80% left. As it was nice smooth tar covered road ride I was tempted to believe it every single pixel. Maybe a little less when I hit the road again, on my way back. Nope, the moment I got some speed battery was at 60%, finishing at 50% (while still riding, haven't took a look after the ride while standing still, though). The end values are fine, but the progress of it seem at least vague and inconsistent.

Speaking of the app. It has a cloud-style sign on, so one time I depleted all my data, I couldn't log in at all. Leaving me not able to check the battery or anything really. It was a rare situation and I have bought some more data later on, but it didn't hit me at first. I though, the app just lost the remembered credentials. Like it occasionally like to forgot my riding style setting, reverting strong to soft and actually setting the wheel accordingly. Sometimes it happens when I close the app, start riding and realizing I'm leaning way too much, as the stiffness was set to soft. Rarely but also it sometimes forgets your total mileage and keeps counting from number somewhere around 30 to 50 kilometers. Keep doing so even after the app is restarted. It does fix itself after more mileage is accounted for, like some more dozens kilometers. Just weird. At first I was really disappointed with the app, but then again, I don't really use it except for the battery level check. It does connect with Whelog nicely and the battery status made more sense as I remember, I think. But I only have Android on my tablet, which I'm not going to carry around. I'm not going to buy myself a freezing Android phone ? and also doesn't feel like buying another overpriced iPhone if anything should happen to mine. And I had the feeling, the ride style setting was more likely to reset if I connect the wheel alternately with Whelog and iPhone anyway.

That reminds me. First 4 kilometers I think, the tiltback were kicking in at speed just over 10 km/h and it completely unlocked after 5 kilometers, I think. It feels like ages ago. Can't remember details now. But I do remember I was really frustrated as I was thinking it is a faulty piece as I never read anything about it. It didn't occurred to me to think of it as a newbie limit before it lifted off. And I'm still not sure, that is what happened.

Before buying the ACM, I was a bit scared of the possible overcharging. I do live sort of uphill, riding about 3 kilometers to work and back every day, not wanna deal with not charging the battery to 100% at all times. Fortunately, I have never had a single beep due to overcharging. Never heard the infamous 80% battery power beeps either.

After 500 miles the wheel is still in a great shape. It did get some scratches, when it did flipped once, when I was mounting. Yet nothing serious. ACM not being my first wheel helps ? Couldn't imagine having this plastic heavy wheel with no automatic spinning stop to repeatedly fall over and over again as someone would try to learn it ride for the first time. It's not just your first wheel to buy. Foot pads are still pretty clean and the grip is excellent. The plastic back side of the EUC easily and often catches dust on it though. Making the black looks like brown dirt. One just have to sweep it regularly with a soaked cloth. Never had noticed that with my S2. Nothing has cracked yet. The rubber charge port cover has not yet teared off either. One and the only thing I have noticed so far, there was no threading for one of the screws that holds the little part of plastic, that you have to remove every time you want to access the tire valve. Took some time but I finally lost the screw while riding. Haven't yet made the threading for the new screw, as it seem to hold just fine with only one screw in place.

If you have finished your reading here without cheating, I could rest now in peace, knowing I have not written that down just out of my own foolishness ?

On 7/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, SaiXHardt said:

Having switched from Ninebot S2 it was very different experience. I was used to not touching the wheel with my legs at all, which gave me a greater control in tight spaces in city like environment. Here I had to lean my calf towards the both sides and even while ACM has these nice soft pads, my legs hurt first week or two. Now it's gone. Also those 20 kg gave me some hard time at first. It also took me like 2 weeks when I finally completely adapt. The weight and different posture stressed my ankles in different way than I was used to and it felt for quite a long time like one heavy bastard. As my body adjusted, I can't tell the difference from S2, speaking of the weight. Well, I can feel the huge difference though. While I'm riding at all times my ACM now, it was a wtf moment when I one time switched back to S2 as I was riding just a short distance to a cinema. And thought why on earth I would drag that big thing with me there. I do, everywhere now. I just can't used to S2 anymore. If I would using it just once in the while, it would take me the whole short trip to get used it. No point forcing it then. I also completely lost the sense of speed and hitting the tiltback way too late when it's way too steep. That didn't really happened to me except the first weeks I was learning Ninebot. At beginnings, I occasionally accelerated way too fast, way too far over the speed limit, usually downhill. And when the tiltback kicked in, it already did in pretty steep angle. There were times I prayed to all the saints not to fall on my back. But just before I learned to anticipate these moments. Having that compared to ACM, tiltback there it is a very very mild instance of what would you experience with S2. Some times I'm not sure I would feel it enough to actually slow down. Sometimes I check the speed just to make sure the tiltback is still in place. And somehow I can't accelerate over the speed limit of 42 km/h I gave myself (to be exact, 39 km/h, but when the tiltback really kicks in, I may already be riding at 42 km/h). It's probably just a mental block, because I'm not aware of the actual speed limit, you couldn't pass with ACM, even with the tiltback on. But I'm grateful for that and hope it stays that way, because I don't feel like trying it's limits. I'm 70 kg by the way, which should be just fine to ride at these speeds, as someone some time ago calculated for the ACM here on the forums.

The speed, now that I got used to it, 40 km/h does not fill me up with the adrenaline as it probably should. Failure at that speed wouldn't be pretty. I ride with wrist guards and bought myself neat knee pads for motocross riders. They are made of the foam that gets hard on impact. I hope it works, only tried hitting it with my hand which seem to work just fine. I think it should provide the same level of protection as the standard skater style knee pads which is pain. They look awful and feel awful. These ones, on the other hand, perfectly fit around the knee, the foam bend as I bend my knee and if I wouldn't be wearing skinny fit jeans, it would fit nicely under the jeans. Plus I wear the cyclist (more like skater style) helmet all the times. I have actually bought myself a scooter helmet, with sliding front glass and no chin. But riding sidewalks with that on my head, people get scared 30 meters ahead of me and sometimes they almost jumped away. With the other helmet I can zoom right next to them without fuss. Funny. As I ride mostly roads now, I maybe should reconsider wearing the tougher one, I guess. Anyway, the first time I started moving on the ACM I was like wow, that's just way too fast for me, and I was only riding at 25 km/h. And then I realized, wtf? I was riding my Ninebot S2 at almost the same speed, but that just didn't feel the same. I came back home to grab the Ninebot, installed 3 different apps for a GPS based speed tracking and guess what. What Ninebot app said was 24 km/h was actually just 20. Have that said, I was usually riding 22 before tiltback was kicking in, which makes the effective top speed of like 18 km/h. Just awesome. ACM app seem to measure much better, plus with the power it possess, 4 km/h wouldn't make that much difference. But with Ninebot, oh well. That explains a lot. On the speed topic, on Ninebot getting rid of the immutable beeps by taking the wheel apart and disconnecting the speaker was inevitable. It's just not humanly possible to keep your speed just below the speed limit without watching the speedometer all the time. And when you know, you already beeping all around the place. Good thing, I could disable both alarms for ACM.

If I should compare ACM again to S2, which is my only option, while both are very different, it just doesn't feel one is better than the other. It's just different, and if you get used to one, you would have some mixed feeling switching for the other until you get used it again. And that works both ways. But the speed and the range win the fight for the ACM with a great margin. Even though ACM is far worse option for city riding compared to Ninebot. Yet if you ride the tar streets the way the cyclist do, avoiding inner city paths, sidewalks and oh my god, cobbles, it doesn't really matter then. There is almost always the way to avoid these if you ride like the cyclist. As long as the local law enforcement is amused enough watching me to actually not to force me to ride sidewalks at speed of the pedestrians, which is the way I should ride by the local legislation. This way the only downside is, if anything should happen, someone wouldn't have give me the right of way, or something, I'm in no place to beef, as I cannot actually ride the streets as cyclist do. Could be worse though I could be banned altogether. It's different from city to city here. But they only did so far in Prague and not all the areas. The reason ACM is bad option for city isn't really the weight, as I read a lot. Why on earth I would carry it, lol. I have no trouble to fit in the crowd at speed of really lazy person walking down the sidewalk, or to avoid both people and obstacles. There is no trouble jumping down the curbs or riding up the curbs with 16 inches wheel. There is maybe slight difference in making a very sharp 180 degree turns. With lightweight S2 I can somehow turn while almost staying on the spot, thought I would scratched the pads hard. With ACM the circle get's bigger. The reason ACM is a bad companion for city riders is for one, the tire pressure and for two, the balance logic. Having bigger, heavier wheel, you need to pressurize more, which leads to harder bumps. I also noticed while riding on bike lane that has interlocking pavement, the more pressure, the more the wheel tends to follows the gabs in between. I'm not saying it would make me fall, but it really makes you feel like you are losing control. I couldn't get passed the 30 km/h with a good conscience. For those and other occasions I like to keep my pressure at 30 psi all the times. I know it's damn low, but I came to conclusion, that it should not hurt the wheel. And the last trouble riding bumpy roads I mentioned is the balance logic. Should I'm not riding the Ninebot before, I couldn't tell though. But Ninebot has that mastered a lot better. If you found yourself on path with some repeating bumps like the cobbles or on tractor rutted paths, the ACM will kick your knees with every bump like hell even at the speed of 3 km/h while it tries to balance you. And whilst doing it, it tends to overlean a lot, making the front of your foot pads almost touch the ground. That happens in extreme way while riding uphill, bearable otherwise and not at all riding downhill. Some not that fun thing also happens if you choose to start your ride already with both feet on the pads, holding to something. In that case if you lean too much, the wheel register that too late and you land on your feet as it tips the whole way to front. First time that happened to me, the wheel fell on the ground behind me and as it stops spinning only after it hits the full speed, it wobbled a lot. Got some scratches on the plastic and my legs as the 20 kg wheel is something that count's if it gets into spin and hit your legs with the pads. And I'm not talking about some crazy lean, with Ninebot I never have experienced that. After that I monitored this closely, and have that happened two more times in upcoming days. Yet not falling as I was holding. In time I learn the right force I need to apply so I wouldn't tip the wheel. Though, this never happened to me while mounting on the fly one leg at the time, which should be the preferred way anyway.

My longest trips so far were 70 kilometers long, which I finished with the battery level of 40%. Which is the lowest level I would allowed myself to ride at 40 km/h anyway. These consisted of uphill, downhill and different surfaces. The official app (the iPhone version) sadly rounds the percentage to the nearest tenth and probably taking into account current battery utilization. That said, riding leveled terrain at average speed gives you sort of accurate number. However, last week I have made 25-ish kilometers and having a nice warm feeling  seeing I still have 80% left. As it was nice smooth tar covered road ride I was tempted to believe it every single pixel. Maybe a little less when I hit the road again, on my way back. Nope, the moment I got some speed battery was at 60%, finishing at 50% (while still riding, haven't took a look after the ride while standing still, though). The end values are fine, but the progress of it seem at least vague and inconsistent.

Speaking of the app. It has a cloud-style sign on, so one time I depleted all my data, I couldn't log in at all. Leaving me not able to check the battery or anything really. It was a rare situation and I have bought some more data later on, but it didn't hit me at first. I though, the app just lost the remembered credentials. Like it occasionally like to forgot my riding style setting, reverting strong to soft and actually setting the wheel accordingly. Sometimes it happens when I close the app, start riding and realizing I'm leaning way too much, as the stiffness was set to soft. Rarely but also it sometimes forgets your total mileage and keeps counting from number somewhere around 30 to 50 kilometers. Keep doing so even after the app is restarted. It does fix itself after more mileage is accounted for, like some more dozens kilometers. Just weird. At first I was really disappointed with the app, but then again, I don't really use it except for the battery level check. It does connect with Whelog nicely and the battery status made more sense as I remember, I think. But I only have Android on my tablet, which I'm not going to carry around. I'm not going to buy myself a freezing Android phone ? and also doesn't feel like buying another overpriced iPhone if anything should happen to mine. And I had the feeling, the ride style setting was more likely to reset if I connect the wheel alternately with Whelog and iPhone anyway.

That reminds me. First 4 kilometers I think, the tiltback were kicking in at speed just over 10 km/h and it completely unlocked after 5 kilometers, I think. It feels like ages ago. Can't remember details now. But I do remember I was really frustrated as I was thinking it is a faulty piece as I never read anything about it. It didn't occurred to me to think of it as a newbie limit before it lifted off. And I'm still not sure, that is what happened.

Before buying the ACM, I was a bit scared of the possible overcharging. I do live sort of uphill, riding about 3 kilometers to work and back every day, not wanna deal with not charging the battery to 100% at all times. Fortunately, I have never had a single beep due to overcharging. Never heard the infamous 80% battery power beeps either.

After 500 miles the wheel is still in a great shape. It did get some scratches, when it did flipped once, when I was mounting. Yet nothing serious. ACM not being my first wheel helps ? Couldn't imagine having this plastic heavy wheel with no automatic spinning stop to repeatedly fall over and over again as someone would try to learn it ride for the first time. It's not just your first wheel to buy. Foot pads are still pretty clean and the grip is excellent. The plastic back side of the EUC easily and often catches dust on it though. Making the black looks like brown dirt. One just have to sweep it regularly with a soaked cloth. Never had noticed that with my S2. Nothing has cracked yet. The rubber charge port cover has not yet teared off either. One and the only thing I have noticed so far, there was no threading for one of the screws that holds the little part of plastic, that you have to remove every time you want to access the tire valve. Took some time but I finally lost the screw while riding. Haven't yet made the threading for the new screw, as it seem to hold just fine with only one screw in place.

If you have finished your reading here without cheating, I could rest now in peace, knowing I have not written that down just out of my own foolishness ?

I wish someone would talk to gotway to make an ACM 3 which would be like the msuper x. Same shell as original ACM with an 18-20 inch wheel and the mother board of the msuper x. Please can someone convey that to them? ???

@SaiXHardt nice review, I almost remember time when I reached 40ish km/h on my acm. Wait a year or two and you'll be craving so much more, that can be achieved by tesla, msuper etc. Think about getting bikers mesh jacket, air keeps you very cool and you get full upper body protection.

Enjoy your new toy...

On 7/14/2018 at 3:02 AM, SaiXHardt said:

Rarely but also it sometimes forgets your total mileage and keeps counting from number somewhere around 30 to 50 kilometers.

Just today I noticed that my Msuper X resets the total mileage you have ridden since power on if you put the wheel on the ground lying on it’s side. I started with 420km, rode for atleast 50km, put the wheel on the ground, and now my total mileage is still 420km.

5 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I started with 420km, rode for atleast 50km, put the wheel on the ground, and now my total mileage is still 420km.

Did you ride backwards 25km? :-@

22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Just today I noticed that my Msuper X resets the total mileage you have ridden since power on if you put the wheel on the ground lying on it’s side. I started with 420km, rode for atleast 50km, put the wheel on the ground, and now my total mileage is still 420km.

The total mileage skips around. I had the same problem. I showed 40 miles and it should have been 100. several days later I figured it should be 120 miles and it was pretty  close. It clocks the mileage it is just slow to post it to you.

36 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Interesting. I think that must have happened on my MCM5 too.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

B3E38EF5-03F7-42D9-9232-4CC52C1E38FD.thumb.png.a449ae016bf5c2073d6b6b967d085ccc.png 

A few weeks ago I was calibrating my MS V3s+ . Each time I did I would go out and test the angle and each time it looked like It erased the miles that I put on it. Keep track in a log book and I think that you will find that the miles will eventually match. If I understand correctly Darknessbot asked the wheel what the mileage was then kept track of it. When you interrupt the sequence Darknessbot asks again and gets the same answer as before because the wheel has not updated the total mileage yet. But at some point it updates with the added miles.

Are you liking the switch to an 18" wheel or do you miss your KS16s ?

I get what you’re talking about with the overleaning while going over bumps/offroading. I thought, “surely the ACM will be able to easily power its way through (not excessively crazy) offroad sections with that 2000W motor”, but I’ve been a little disappointed at how willing it seems to get caught on obstacles, even in sport mode. Maybe I should decrease my tire pressure? I’m at 45 PSI right now, but maybe I’ll drop it down to 40 or even lower depending on how much pressure seems to make a difference. It’s a great wheel otherwise, and I’m telling myself that I just need to get used to the wheel before making any final judgements, but I’m worried my fears of poor dirt path/offroading abilities will come true..

5 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I get what you’re talking about with the overleaning while going over bumps/offroading. I thought, “surely the ACM will be able to easily power its way through (not excessively crazy) offroad sections with that 2000W motor”, but I’ve been a little disappointed at how willing it seems to get caught on obstacles, even in sport mode. Maybe I should decrease my tire pressure? I’m at 45 PSI right now, but maybe I’ll drop it down to 40 or even lower depending on how much pressure seems to make a difference. It’s a great wheel otherwise, and I’m telling myself that I just need to get used to the wheel before making any final judgements, but I’m worried my fears of poor dirt path/offroading abilities will come true..

Hmmm. I wonder what kind of conditions are causing you problems. A lot of trail riding comes down to maneuvering around obstacles, which is why I think smaller diameter wheels (vs MSX) can make for a more enjoyable experience when riding technical trails.

If your ACM can't handle some trails that you are riding, it may be the trails. These wheels do have their limits. Post a picture of one of these trail sections that is giving you trouble. I'm curious what you're trying to do.

Experimenting with tire pressures is always worthwhile. Just be aware that you risk destroying your inner tube if the pressure is too low when you hit a rock (could be something like a 3-inch rock). I've literally seen it happen to a fellow ACM rider. Wasn't riding with high pressure, hit a rock, instant snake-bite puncture with resulting 8-mile hike out of the mountains.  

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hmmm. I wonder what kind of conditions are causing you problems. A lot of trail riding comes down to maneuvering around obstacles, which is why I think smaller diameter wheels (vs MSX) can make for a more enjoyable experience when riding technical trails.

If your ACM can't handle some trails that you are riding, it may be the trails. These wheels do have their limits. Post a picture of one of these trail sections that is giving you trouble. I'm curious what you're trying to do.

Experimenting with tire pressures is always worthwhile. Just be aware that you risk destroying your inner tube if the pressure is too low when you hit a rock (could be something like a 3-inch rock). I've literally seen it happen to a fellow ACM rider. Wasn't riding with high pressure, hit a rock, instant snake-bite puncture with resulting 8-mile hike out of the mountains.  

Hmm, I just had an interesting thought. It may be possible that I’m not able (yet) to maneuver the ACM as quickly as I could the 14D, which might lead me to choose to go over as opposed to around certain looser/bumpier patches I would usually quickly avoid. If a week passes (while I gain maneuvering experience on the wheel) and I still am having offroad troubles, I’ll post pictures of tough spots. I’m going on a ride in an hour or so, so I’ll get to practice a tougher spot that was easier on the 14D and get pics. 

As for tire pressure, I think I’ll try 40PSI tonight as that’s ewheels’ ‘recommended starting pressure’.

27 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Hmm, I just had an interesting thought. It may be possible that I’m not able (yet) to maneuver the ACM as quickly as I could the 14D, which might lead me to choose to go over as opposed to around certain looser/bumpier patches I would usually quickly avoid. If a week passes (while I gain maneuvering experience on the wheel) and I still am having offroad troubles, I’ll post pictures of tough spots. I’m going on a ride in an hour or so, so I’ll get to practice a tougher spot that was easier on the 14D and get pics. 

As for tire pressure, I think I’ll try 40PSI tonight as that’s ewheels’ ‘recommended starting pressure’.

I keep mine at 45-psi, but have ridden it down to 35-psi no problems. But when I'm going back-country I like to top it off. Probably anything over 30-psi is OK. Experiment.

Yes, give your wheel time. This is now your primary wheel. After a few weeks you will become one with the wheel and many things will be easier :D

9 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Rider technique.

Force or Finesse ? The small nimble wheels are better for the finessers and the big 18+ wheels for the forcers.  I am the guy that successfully got the square peg in the round hole in preschool. "I chose to do it not because it was easy, but because it was hard."  My fate was sealed on that day. I am a Forcer. 

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I keep mine at 45-psi, but have ridden it down to 35-psi no problems. But when I'm going back-country I like to top it off. Probably anything over 30-psi is OK. Experiment.

Yes, give your wheel time. This is now your primary wheel. After a few wheels you will become one with the wheel and many things will be easier :D

oh @Marty Backe you have one wheel mind... :roflmao:

5 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

oh @Marty Backe you have one wheel mind... :roflmao:

:)

I hate when I do that. You'd be surprised (maybe not) how often I catch myself writing wheels  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:)

I hate when I do that. You'd be surprised (maybe not) how often I catch myself writing wheels  :facepalm:

You do know that there is a support group for this, don't you?

And I'm sure there must be a California chapter of WA.   :D

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

because the wheel has not updated the total mileage yet.

Gotway app shows the same, the DB graph just visualizes the issue so well.

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Are you liking the switch to an 18" wheel or do you miss your KS16s ?

16S is right there for me to ride as well, no reason to miss it! ? While riding, I might miss the 16S when I need to turn 180• or when my feet are tired for the lot more physical riding dynamics of the X. Or if I need to brake fast. In all other situations the X is much more suitable for me.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

smaller diameter wheels (vs MSX) can make for a more enjoyable experience when riding technical trails.

I would’ve thought so too. Twisting the X sharply requires more muscle, but the added stability, instant power over roots, and the blubby tire that doesn’t mind the details, all more than make up for it. Rocky root paths make me feel like I’m cheating, it’s all just too easy!

Actually the whole wheel is very forgiving. Surpass the planned km, lean too much forward, lean to the side imprecisely, ride over too large obstacles, too difficult root paths, too tall curbs down, ride too fast... X just says ”don’t worry” with a fatherly voice.

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Force or Finesse

Exactly! I would think 14” Ninebot vs ACM would have the same exact phenomenon, just different scale. The newer 2000W ACMs should have the same instant power, so I was very surprised to read about the pedals dipping.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:02 AM, SaiXHardt said:

I'm not aware of the actual speed limit, you couldn't pass with ACM, even with the tiltback on.

The tilt-back is the speed limit. It’s whole purpose is to prevent you from going faster. It’s the only kind of speed limit an EUC can have.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:02 AM, SaiXHardt said:

I have actually bought myself a scooter helmet, with sliding front glass and no chin. But riding sidewalks with that on my head, people get scared 30 meters ahead of me and sometimes they almost jumped away. With the other helmet I can zoom right next to them without fuss. Funny.

As long as the local law enforcement is amused enough watching me to actually not to force me to ride sidewalks at speed of the pedestrians, which is the way I should ride by the local legislation.

There is maybe slight difference in making a very sharp 180 degree turns. With lightweight S2 I can somehow turn while almost staying on the spot, thought I would scratched the pads hard. With ACM the circle get's bigger.

At least people seam to recognize you there in Prague, that's a good thing my friend! ?

Here we have cycle paths, lanes and just overall a very aggressive layout where when you drive you really do notice how crazy this is in a main capital so full of traffic and suddenly even at the city core they laid these bike lanes in a very stupid way often crossing right into between the car lanes and you must cross one in last second before a red light crossing and you have some 25-50 meters to do so, keeping watch of not just the bike lane you going to cross over to the right of you if turning right but also the crossing itself and read the road ahead of you cause let's be honest pedestrians run out however they like crossing streets, it's a zoo total madness.

However as a EUC rider there lanes are great, just be aware of cars cause the layout is insane and they could not just be smart about them constant  crossing in and out of car lanes is just stupid and makes me wonder why they did it like that when could have been solved so much better? I do ride among pedestrians here as well, but sometimes a bike lane is embedded in the middle and do not expect people to notice you here that is all 's up to me and most just look straight down their phones while creeping right into a bike lane as if where not even there, others just think it for their strollers to be rolled on and some even think they are extra space when walking 5-6 people wide talking?

I suppose we will have some form of trouble wherever we are on these things, just gotta make the best of it, the laws still seam a bit unclear for these where I am and cops seams to think so to cause I talk to them every now and then on their Segways and so far they all have been very cool, curious about the wheel asking all kinds of technical questions and happy to share about their own 2 wheeled Segway.

14 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I go off-roading all the time on my ACM2 even moreso than my new ks18l. Trails here in Pennsylvania are pretty rough to say the least but I have no problems on my Gotway other than an occasional tight squeeze between boulders where I might run the side of a pedal. I keep my pedal setting in hard mode and tire at 45psi... keep in mind that I am 6'5" tall 230lbs+-. You should be able to ride off road with no problems on your ACM2 once used to it. 

2 hours ago, Adumb said:

I go off-roading all the time on my ACM2 even moreso than my new ks18l. Trails here in Pennsylvania are pretty rough to say the least but I have no problems on my Gotway other than an occasional tight squeeze between boulders where I might run the side of a pedal. I keep my pedal setting in hard mode and tire at 45psi... keep in mind that I am 6'5" tall 230lbs+-. You should be able to ride off road with no problems on your ACM2 once used to it. 

I went on an offroading trip last night that was giving me trouble before, and 40psi definitely helped (I’m 6’1” 180lbs). I also started to trust it a bit more and I saw some improvements in its ability to handle tough parts. I was most likely too quick to judge the equipment instead of the operator.. ? 

2 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I went on an offroading trip last night that was giving me trouble before, and 40psi definitely helped (I’m 6’1” 180lbs). I also started to trust it a bit more and I saw some improvements in its ability to handle tough parts. I was most likely too quick to judge the equipment instead of the operator.. ? 

Yeah once u trust the wheel more and have more confidence it will be a night and day difference. That's why I'm not judging my ks18l yet, I need to ride it a lot more first. Cheers!

@Electroman Well, we do not actually even have those bike lanes ? I ride the same roads as cars do, as often as possible. Giving hand signs etc. ACM is best on tar anyway. Only riding sidewalks when makes sense to avoid long trip around the one way street. Rarely but I also ride the low traffic inter-city roads where the cars passing me at high speed. Funny, but not so funny, some drivers will make a huge pass into opposite direction, just to avoid me. Some will pass me barely at 50 cm distance. I guess, they do the same to cyclist, but if they hit me and run me over like a frog, I shouldn't have left the sidewalk, law says, so, you know, that old chestnut.

2 hours ago, SaiXHardt said:

@Electroman Well, we do not actually even have those bike lanes ? I ride the same roads as cars do, as often as possible. Giving hand signs etc. ACM is best on tar anyway. Only riding sidewalks when makes sense to avoid long trip around the one way street. Rarely but I also ride the low traffic inter-city roads where the cars passing me at high speed. Funny, but not so funny, some drivers will make a huge pass into opposite direction, just to avoid me. Some will pass me barely at 50 cm distance. I guess, they do the same to cyclist, but if they hit me and run me over like a frog, I shouldn't have left the sidewalk, law says, so, you know, that old chestnut.

Yeah I hear you SaixHardt.

Archived