B & F****** Q

Paddylaz

Took my wheel for a spin today.

I swear to God, if you're in the UK, B&Q have single handedly cheapened our hobby because of that commercial. Had half a dozen people asking

-how much they are in b&q?

-do b&q manufacture them?

- are they really used to move stock in their warehouses?

I feel like the euc has gone from 'mysterious gadget from The Orient' to 'glorified trolley while you'e picking up some new bath tiles'

(For those in the USA, B&Q is like a tackier version of Home Depot) ?

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For clarification, this is what he's talking about:

In my opinion, good. No elitism please, publicity = positive (I sure hope that's indeed true).

Apparently that store could become the #1 EUC seller if they bothered with it.

Dude, mocking b&q is not elitism ?

I meant elitism regarding to wheels. Due to this line,

53 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I feel like the euc has gone from 'mysterious gadget from The Orient' to 'glorified trolley while you'e picking up some new bath tiles'

which I guess could be interpreted in the direction of "Damn, commoners are allowed to wheel now?!":efee8319ab: Even if one can show off a little less when people know EUCs from this ad, I hope it will be worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong and we should keep our hobby a secret as much as possible and enjoy the showing off. Who knows...:efee47c9c8:

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I meant elitism regarding to wheels. Due to this line,

which I guess could be interpreted in the direction of "Damn, commoners are allowed to wheel now?!":efee8319ab: Even if one can show off a little less when people know EUCs from this ad, I hope it will be worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong and we should keep our hobby a secret as much as possible and enjoy the showing off. Who knows...:efee47c9c8:

Lol who mentioned class? It was clearly a comment more about familiarity and the mundane. Don't 'look' for prejudice when there is none. ?

Oh oh :w00t2: WHEEL FIGHT WHEEL FIGHT!!!

Okay okay, as a Canadian I should not be encouraging internet fighting.  :rolleyes:  Maybe I'll just say who would have figured it would take a hardware store to bring these electric unicycles to the awareness of the general population?  :lol:  Jason / Ian / somebody needs to set up a supplier deal with B&Q to have a display of wheels near the "Sprockets and Doodads" section of the store.  I think they would sell like hotcakes!  :thumbup: 

BTW, speaking of class, notice the "+" sign after "Top Members" to the left there?  Yeah, that means something.  :whistling:  Pass the grey poupon, peasants.

On a side note - where did they get all those EUC riding savants?  :huh:  Dang, they ride 200% better than I can, and I've been riding for a long time now!  :crying: I don't think we could put together such a smooth flowing commercial even with the best of the riders on the forum.

32 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

On a side note - where did they get all those EUC riding savants?  :huh:  Dang, they ride 200% better than I can, and I've been riding for a long time now!  :crying: I don't think we could put together such a smooth flowing commercial even with the best of the riders on the forum.

I wondered that as well - they all seemed to ride well, considering how few other riders I’ve ever seen. I have a feeling Speedyfeet might have supplied them?

BTW @Paddylaz, I worked for B&Q for several years in one of their flagship stores and rode to work on my KS-14C. On several occasions as I was leaving - pushing it along of course - managers asked me to demonstrate riding it in the store (after we were closed).  I wonder if I’m responsible? 

Personally, I think the advert is brilliant, anything that gets these into the public consciousness as a good thing is a step in the right direction IMHO. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. Someone must have advertised to find people that can ride that well. There can only be a few hundred of us in the UK so where did they find them without us hearing of it?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:crying: I don't think we could put together such a smooth flowing commercial even with the best of the riders on the forum.

Did I miss something here ?? Nothing they did was all that spectacular. No one even rode backwards or jumped anything . Sure it was well choreographed, but I’d say we could certainly make a better advert with higher skilled riders from this forum . 

21 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Did I miss something here ?? Nothing they did was all that spectacular. No one even rode backwards or jumped anything . Sure it was well choreographed, but I’d say we could certainly make a better advert with higher skilled riders from this forum . 

I think the moves they performed in the commercial are deceptively more difficult than they seem.

I doubt the casting requirement was for proficient ewheelers who also happened to be cheerful, energetic, young, show well on camera, and live conveniently close to the filming location.  They must have cast non-riders who had those other qualities and also had the ability to pick up physical skills pretty easily, probably people with a dance background. 

I can't imagine they had a budget allowing for them to take a prolonged time to learn how to ride the wheel, so the performers were probably newbies when they filmed.  Considering that typical newbies spend days (weeks in some cases) keeping their arms positioned like gorillas just to maintain their balance, the graceful moves shown in the commercial belie the performers' (assumed) newbie status.

I agree that many of the seasoned riders here on this forum could easily perform the moves, but most of them are grizzled, middle-aged men who are better off behind a keyboard instead of in front of a camera :lol:

1 minute ago, RichieV said:

I think the moves they performed in the commercial are deceptively more difficult than they seem.

I doubt the casting requirement was for proficient ewheelers who also happened to be cheerful, energetic, young, show well on camera, and live conveniently close to the filming location.  They must have cast non-riders who had those other qualities and also had the ability to pick up physical skills pretty easily, probably people with a dance background. 

I can't imagine they had a budget allowing for them to take a prolonged time to learn how to ride the wheel, so the performers were probably newbies when they filmed.  Considering that typical newbies spend days (weeks in some cases) keeping their arms positioned like gorillas just to maintain their balance, the graceful moves shown in the commercial belie the performers' (assumed) newbie status.

I agree that many of the seasoned riders here on this forum could easily perform the moves, but most of them are grizzled, middle-aged men who are better off behind a keyboard instead of in front of a camera :lol:

Well , I suppose at 30 I’m not the typical member . I can perform all of the maneuvers and then some just as gracefully. (Just sayin ?) . Got my first wheel on January 12th of this year . So been riding just over 3 months . 

14 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

If I had 3 Freinds I would . ?

Thanks for making me feel like shit @Hunka Hunka Burning Love

We'll be your friends!!  :w00t2:  For a small fee.  Actually now I'm tempted to take my Tesla and zoom around my Home Depot and blame the B&Q commercial for setting a precedent!  If they even know what a B&Q is that is...  No matter - I'll help "break in" and "test" your new MSuper V3+ Teslarized wheel once if it arrives!  :thumbup:

34 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

We'll be your friends!!  :w00t2:  For a small fee.  Actually now I'm tempted to take my Tesla and zoom around my Home Depot and blame the B&Q commercial for setting a precedent!  If they even know what a B&Q is that is...  No matter - I'll help "break in" and "test" your new MSuper V3+ Teslarized wheel once if it arrives!  :thumbup:

Well , I’ve seen a video of FB of a guy riding around IKEA in his mten ...(he did have a handicap sticker on it though :facepalm: seriously) 

Cool , I’ll accept your paid friendship request ...just don’t price gouge too much ...the cool kids around here only ask for my lunch and pics of my sister , so stay competitive. :roflmao: 

yes ....WHEN IT COMES!

8 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

the cool kids around here only ask for my lunch and pics of my sister , so stay competitive. 

I’m certain @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Will do it for pics of your sister ?. 

I still think finding a whole group of personable young riders confident enough to do one legged “superman” poses in the U.K., where take up of EUC’s has been so low that people still think Hoverboards are cool, was a tall order.

Some did seem more wobbly than others though so, perhaps, there were a couple of experienced riders who spent a few days training the rest - and the trainers did the “clever stuff?

B&Q often use their own people in their adverts ( I’ve giggled at a number of my colleagues on TV. ) but it seems unlikely these were staff.

I got filmed meeting  Ian Duncan Smith (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith) when he was Work & Pensions Secretary as an example of B&Q getting older people back into work - I’m still praying that doesn’t get shown anywhere as I can’t stand the man and had to work REAL hard at my smile!

2 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

To me it makes total sense for a hardware store to sell EUCs. That way I could get all my injury-causing equipment in one convenient stop. ?

It would make even more sense for them to sell the z10...think about it . That big tire . Perfect for the job site . I can see it now ...construction workers zooming the around on the rugged z10!

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

To me it makes total sense for a hardware store to sell EUCs. That way I could get all my injury-causing equipment in one convenient stop. ?

????

Unfortunately, I don’t think B&Q intend selling them.

Ironically just downstairs below the B&Q store I worked in is a large Maplins. They sold the full range of Airwheels. 

Maplins have just failed and gone into receivership - I’m sure these two things are just a coincidence ?.

Archived