Metric versus Imperial

that0n3guy

20 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

I think the rest of the world should force us to change

There's US and there's the rest of the world...

Only we (and by we I mean us in the US) can change US!(?) :blink1:

31 minutes ago, RayRay said:

There's US and there's the rest of the world...

Only we (and by we I mean us in the US) can change US!(?) :blink1:

Don't worry. With Mr. Trumps new wall you in the US don't have to worry about the outside world. Not even weather changes can touch Mr Trump.

Or maybe at some point people start to listen and share (best) practice. Why there still exists metric and imperial system is beyond me. UN should have made it possible to pick one by now. Which one doesn't matter. Just have one system would make so many things easier.

29 minutes ago, Unventor said:

UN should have made it possible to pick one by now.

(UN?) U'N what army?

We don't take marchin' orders from U'N... (but U'N better follow US!) :pooping:

23 minutes ago, RayRay said:

(UN?) U'N what army?

We don't take marchin' orders from U'N... (but U'N better follow US!) :pooping:

:roflmao:what could possibly go wrong doing just that....

11 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

I'm in the US and I think the rest of the world should force us to change :).  The metric system makes so much more sense. 

Except in Alabama... For some reason people there tend to count in elevens rather than tens.   :blink1:

I’ve split this off as it had nothing to do with the V10.

Oh and to put my pennyworth in, apart from NASA crashing into Mars because they thought the European rocket motors they used were in foot pounds and they were actually in Newton’s, there really isn’t any advantage in one system over the other.

Americans should spare a thought for Britain where we did enforce metric measurements, yet despite having to buy milk in litres every beer drinker, without exception, will still order “a pint of bitter”. Petrol has been in litres since the last millennium, but everyone talks Miles Per Gallon for fuel consumption, Aviation is even more mixed: visibility in poor weather, such as runway visual range, is in metres, altitude is in feet, airspeed is in knots, and fuel consumption in gallons per hour or lb per hour.

In model flying everyone knows what a 12x6  (inch ) prop is and that it fits a “50” 2-stroke glow engine (0.50 cu in) nobody in the U.K. would be happy trying to get their head around a 30x15 (centimetre) prop, they would probably buy a 300c.c. fuel tank for it though!

Being multi-lingual in measurements helps a lot, when building something I simply use whatever measurement divides more easily, metric  can be awful for dividing into quarters, eighths, etc. 

23 minutes ago, Keith said:

there really isn’t any advantage in one system over the other

I don't entirely agree with this.    I have an mechanical engineering degree (I don't do that stuff anymore though :P) and we stopped using imperial very early in college.   One example of an issue with it is ft-lb vs lb-ft.   They are not the same thing, especially in complex machine design.   Have both of them in an equation and some exponents and things get confusing fast.  Keeping units straight is very important in engineering calculations.   That is just one example.

From my limited experience, metric is just easier from certain aspects of engineering.  I highly doubt that NASA engineers use imperial as their preferred unit system.  I don't know any engineers that do (except in construction; plumbing, hvac.... but none in machine/robotic/aerospace/etc... design), even in the US.  Engineering numbers can be any unit system, then you just simply convert end numbers to the public.    If you're designing an hvac system for a building, that's one thing (which is really you don't need engineers to do it), but a rocket, is a whole different thing.

39 minutes ago, Keith said:

metric  can be awful for dividing into quarters, eighths, etc.

I'm not sure how I see this, but ok.   1/4 of 1meter = .25.  1/4 of 1ft = 3in.  3 does not seem simpler than .25 to me :).

I do agree though that there really isn't any point in changing a nation's unit system :).  

I think the metric system definitely has advantages when you need to convert, add, or subtract measures. It drives me nuts when I have to measure 24-1/4, 17-1/8, 14-7/8 inches and figure the overall required length of board, subtracting out the 1/8 inch kerf of the saw for each cut. Similarly it's a pain when i have a party for 10 guests and want 6 ounces of salmon per guest which is 60 ounces but there are 16 ounces in a pound so I need to ask the fish guy for "three and a quarter pounds of salmon".

However, there's nothing wrong with a shot of liquor, a pint of beer, those kinds of measures. I'm not doing math on them.

Screw the rest of America, they can waste thier money on buying two tool sets! I any only buying metric tools and hardware... Besides I know if it is 0° C it is fucking cold out!

What the fuck is an 'ounce'? Volume or Mass fuck you it is most oddly both and Americans refuse to mention which...

There's always that0n3guy in the crowd.  :rolleyes:  Don't get me started on the massacre of the English language!  :innocent1: 

I remember driving across the border and doing "50."  Everyone was passing me and giving me dirty looks for some reason.  :furious:  I was like screw you!  I'm doing the speed limit!  See those signs?!  Then it dawned on me a few miles later that I ought to have been driving at 50 MPH instead of 50 KPH.  :blink:

I work in construction and everything is metric thank god. I remember the UK changing when i was a kid and so i mostly grew up with metric.

How the hell we ever got by with a base 12 currency amazes me. I used to do volunteer work at an old folks home and sometimes did their shopping for them. Some of them could only understand shillings(bob), sixpence etc and all the other old imperial monetary units. Used to confuse the hell out of me. 

I spend a lot of time in the US and trying to visualise fluid oz as a unit of volume is beyond me. To make it worse the one volume measurement i do recognise, gallons, is different in the US...:wacko:

Archived