Jump to content
Smoother

KS16 2.5" (tire) modification. My experiences

Recommended Posts

do you think it would be possible to put a 2.5 tire on my tesla?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Shad0z said:

do you think it would be possible to put a 2.5 tire on my tesla?

Yes, @Ando Melkonyan likes to do this to his wheels. 

IMG_1137.thumb.jpg.c15af87d3be8612da7772

 

 

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, @Ando Melkonyan likes to do this to his wheels. 

IMG_1137.thumb.jpg.c15af87d3be8612da7772

 

 

i need to do that 100%!

i just need a good tire and tube now ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now i ordered a 16x2.50" Kenda tire

now its just time to wait :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how did you even manage to convert it to tubeless :confused1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

so i got my kenda 16x 2.50 tire...

it doesnt fit :crying: 

EDIT: i talked with a guy who did it and his response:

"i had to move the control board up a few milimeters. and i grinded the shell. its well worth the sacrificed shell"

the parts that i can grind to make it fit would... make it extremely water vunerable. but he probably did something else i dont understood. my 2.50 tire isnt there to lie on the ground :D 

2.50 tire did not fit my tesla D:

 

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Shad0z

The wheel does not only get wider, it also gets a bit bigger (perhaps look for KS16S mods on FB).

Solution if only the height is a problem:

You have to set the wheel "down one screw hole"....so dont use the 6 screws holding the pedal arms, just use 4 screws to secure the wheel.

Like this it is also done on a KS16S. Perhaps you still need to mod the shell a bit...but for the height of the tire it helps!

 

Edit:

I forgot that its not possible to set the pedals lower on a Tesla...would only be possible on a ACM...but on a Tesla the LED ring makes that impossible.Sorry then!

Edited by US69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, US69 said:

@Shad0z

 

Edit:

I forgot that its not possible to set the pedals lower on a Tesla...would only be possible on a ACM...but on a Tesla the LED ring makes that impossible.Sorry then!

😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Shad0z .  Now is when you have to dig deep.  You need to examine where the interferences are, and figure out what modifications you have to make to make this tire fit.  Or you could put the factory tire back on and sell the tire to someone with a Lhotz or someone wishing to 2.5" mod a KS16.

On a related note, as @KS Poland has sent me back my upgraded axle for the 14c  (very nice too BTW) I now have to put it back together.  Problem is, since I took it apart last year (?) I have also put a 2.5" tire on it, so shell modifications are in order here as well.  I know from trial fitting the new tire in the shell, some shell has to be cut away, and new holes have to be drilled and tapped in the pedal hangers to move the shell up slightly, to clear the top of the tire.  There's always something!  Putting the factory tire back on is an option too, but its almost as big a PITA as modifying the wheel, so I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.  Did I mention I'm very lazy?

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hey @Smoother - how's the "tour" going?

It's a relatively static tour right now.  It seemed senseless to leave England just as the summer was starting, so I'm camped just off the A27 between Eastbourne and Brighton.  In-between continuing the modifications to my RV and usual daily chores I do get to ride Eastbourne and Brighton regularly.  And I had a nice ride between Bexhill on Sea and Hastings, the other week.  One day last week I did Beachy Head from one end to the other; all grass and mud paths.  I do seem to wheel alarming close to the edge sometimes (bad Smoother) but, when you know the next 6 feet is smooth, why wouldn't you?  The rescue squad was out, and people in helmets were going over the side.  I'm not sure if there had been a jumper, or if they were just practicing.  I did look over the side several times to see, but I could not see the bottom.  Funny enough, the entire rescue sqad stopped what they were doing and watch me, as I rode past.  I guess they've never seen an EUC in the plastic. I did climb some seriously steep grass slopes, which shocked some Japanese tourists I passed.  And no, my "Big Foot" pedals did not catch on anything.

I stopped for a rest and to take in the sights, very close to the edge.  After about 20 minutes I got up and walked away to take a photo of the place.  It was then that I noticed that the cliff top I had been sitting on was SERIOUSLY undercut.  These are chalk cliffs so not exactly "set in stone" :facepalm:.  The bottom is strewn with chalk falls as the cliffs erode and recede over time.  Needless to say I collected "Big foot" and wheeled away from there toute de suite. :rolleyes:.  I've got some photos somewhere.  Phone ran out of storage, so not as many as I would like.

What's nice about EUC's is you can park the car where the parking is cheaper, or free, then wheel to the high priced destination, very nice! Just remember where the car is parked.:wacko:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smoother said:

@Shad0z .  Now is when you have to dig deep.  You need to examine where the interferences are, and figure out what modifications you have to make to make this tire fit.  Or you could put the factory tire back on and sell the tire to someone with a Lhotz or someone wishing to 2.5" mod a KS16.

On a related note, as @KS Poland has sent me back my upgraded axle for the 14c  (very nice too BTW) I now have to put it back together.  Problem is, since I took it apart last year (?) I have also put a 2.5" tire on it, so shell modifications are in order here as well.  I know from trial fitting the new tire in the shell, some shell has to be cut away, and new holes have to be drilled and tapped in the pedal hangers to move the shell up slightly, to clear the top of the tire.  There's always something!  Putting the factory tire back on is an option too, but its almost as big a PITA as modifying the wheel, so I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.  Did I mention I'm very lazy?

i talked with another guy who put a 2.5 tire on his tesla. and as i anticipated. he grinded away all the way around the peice of platic that seperates the tire from the motherboard and the rest of the shell. and then he filled it with spray foam. so you sacrifice the whole shell. its not going to be pretty on the inside. but on the outside it looks like nothing has changed

its not a hard mod. its just that you grind away so much of the shell. and there is no going back. i have 2 days left to return my tire that didnt fit. or i can consider doing this mod...

i need some very good reasons for shifting to a 2.5 tire.

convince me :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have to make Swiss cheese out of your shell, I wouldn't do it.  You were happy with the factory ride; leave well alone. I wasn't happy with my ride (wobble) and I didn't have to calve my shell up six ways to Sunday; so for me it was an easier decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother got himself a 16S, so I got to try it with the 2.125" factory tire. The 2.5" Chao Yang H-5102 I have on mine currently, at speed behaves like a narrower tire, so cornering is more natural. I even thought it was close to a 2.125". Boy did I remember wrong. The original doesn't take any road imperfections gracefully, and is downright bad on difficult surfaces. Cornering on sandy asphalt must be made at near walking speed. The only possible reason 2.5" isn't the standard for a 16" wheel is that the manufacturer hasn't tried it yet. For me it's a no-brainer. A good 2.5" tire makes the ride a lot more stable at any speed, and especially those surprise obstacles, diagonal water channels on dirt roads etc, turn from OMG to OK.

YMMV of course. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My brother got himself a 16S, so I got to try it with the 2.125" factory tire. The 2.5" Chao Yang H-5102 I have on mine currently, at speed behaves like a narrower tire, so cornering is more natural. I even thought it was close to a 2.125". Boy did I remember wrong. The original doesn't take any road imperfections gracefully, and is downright bad on difficult surfaces. Cornering on sandy asphalt must be made at near walking speed. The only possible reason 2.5" isn't the standard for a 16" wheel is that the manufacturer hasn't tried it yet. For me it's a no-brainer. A good 2.5" tire makes the ride a lot more stable at any speed, and especially those surprise obstacles, diagonal water channels on dirt roads etc, turn from OMG to OK.

YMMV of course. :D

i tried a msuper with a wide tire and it somrhow seemed that i could turn easily at speed but my tesla with a narrow tire just seemed like i had to brake to turn properly. Like if i didnt do that i would fall. Good to hear that it gives big improvements! Well.  Now i just need to grind my shell and fill it with spray foam. Then install the tire 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×