Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ks16 2.5 mod'.
Found 1 result
So A few weeks back I asked about this modification to a KS16 (replacing the 2.125" tire with a 2.5" tire). I also started asking about 2.5" tires. The tires I bought are in the first link. Photos of someone else's 2,5" mod in the second link. Obtaining a 2.5" tire in Europe proved difficult, although I'm sure someone has them in stock, somewhere. @IPS Malta came to my rescue by shipping me 2, 2.5" tires from China (he spends time in China). The 2nd. tire is for my KS14. I was trying to buy them via Chinese websites, but wasn't sure what I was doing. @IPS Malta did all the thinking for me and made it a simple error free experience. He sent me the two tires I asked for. He did not imfluence my decision in any way. So A BIG shout out to @IPS Malta, who went out of his way to help me even though he doesn't know me from @Adam Hi @Adam . Fitting the tire was my usual routine, you know, fit it wrong, do it all over again, that old chestnut. Actually, I didn't fit it wrong, but with the 14" tire, I tried to fit it as it was intended, i.e. tubeless, with a stand-alone valve. The first problem was the existing vale hole in the rim was too small to pull the new valve stem through. So I drilled it out a bit. But the hole is so close to the edge of the rim that the rubber base of the valve intrudes into the space where the tire meets the rim. As a tubeless tire, it is critical that this interface is sound. So I cut back some of the valve base, to clear the bead of the tire. Of course, as you can guess, when I put the tire on, this area would not hold air. So off with the tire, and in with the factory innertube. Then I read a thread where someone's innertube had sprung a leak from rubbing against the tire. So off comes the tire... no, not really. I let the air out and sprinkled in a liberal dose of talcum powder, to reduce the friction. Cleaned the talc from the bead to prevent the tire from slipping and ripping the valve out of the tube. For the 16", I went straight to the innertube/talc route. So far this seems to be working fine.