How to Tighten Gotway (ACM) Axle Nuts

Marty Backe

After about 400-miles since I replaced the motor on my ACM the axle nut(s) became loose. In this long-form video I demonstrate how I diagnosed the problem and fixed it. Although demonstrated on my ACM, the basic techniques shown here apply to all Gotway wheels that share the same axle/pedal-bracket design.

I didn't edit this video to the bare bones because anybody who is going to undertake this will probably appreciate seeing more rather than less of the process.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

After about 400-miles since I replaced the motor on my ACM the axle nut(s) became loose. In this long-form video I demonstrate how I diagnosed the problem and fixed it. Although demonstrated on my ACM, the basic techniques shown here apply to all Gotway wheels that share the same axle/pedal-bracket design.

I didn't edit this video to the bare bones because anybody who is going to undertake this will probably appreciate seeing more rather than less of the process.

Excellent teardown video, I liked that you showed actual time in some spots, like how long it took to get the axles out from the shims, but removing the second pedal you quick cut to avoid repetition of an easy part.  The wheel looks new inside again after cleaning,  looking forward to your review of the new ACM.

400 miles? That much before it came loose? ;-)

Is that also part of the excitement owning a GW? Man, i didnt need to open my KS now as it has over 1200miles! Thats sooo boring!!!

Sorry! I couldn‘t resist ;-) :whistling:

Serious:  Great Video and maintenance advice as always! :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

400 miles? That much before it came loose? ;-)

Is that also part of the excitement owning a GW? Man, i didnt need to open my KS now as it has over 1200miles! Thats sooo boring!!!

Sorry! I couldn‘t resist ;-) :whistling:

Serious:  Great Video and maintenance advice as always! :thumbup:

400 miles since I replaced the motor. In other words, maybe I didn't tighten the axle nut properly. You can't blame Gotway on this one. :)

But of course I'm not a defender of the sucky Gotway axle design. I only defend Gotway in their ability to create very fun and desirable (to some) wheels.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

400 miles since I replaced the motor. In other works, maybe I didn't tighten the axle nut properly. You can't blame Gotway on this one. :)

But of course I'm not a defender of the sucky Gotway axle design. I only defend Gotway in their ability to create very fun and desirable (to some) wheels.

Thanks!

Only that one axle nut seemed a little loose.  Now that you have fixed it, and it has a new motor, motherboard, and improved wiring, somebody will be getting an improved wheel at a nice price.  It looks better than new.

24 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Only that one axle nut seemed a little loose.  Now that you have fixed it, and it has a new motor, motherboard, and improved wiring, somebody will be getting an improved wheel at a nice price.  It looks better than new.

I wouldn't say that, but thanks for the vote of confidence :D

11 minutes ago, Steve Persona said:

Marty , try to recalibrate your wheel , the same thing happened to my friends acm after installing a new motor and it fixed his same problem. Good luck

Thanks, but as I explain in the last few minutes, everything is working now. However, you do remind me that I should do a calibration.

• 4 weeks later...

@Marty Backe, great video as always . 

I think I’m gonna tear the ACM down one last time and check my axle nuts and shims . Getting a fair amount of slop in my pedals and and some annoying back and forth play as if the shell itself is rocking back and forth . 

Thermal paste : what is this for and where can I find it ? 

I noticed your motor wires were soldered together as opposed to using the yellow 3 port plug that is on my ACM . Is this something you did ? 

8 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

@Marty Backe, great video as always . 

I think I’m gonna tear the ACM down one last time and check my axle nuts and shims . Getting a fair amount of slop in my pedals and and some annoying back and forth play as if the shell itself is rocking back and forth . 

Thermal paste : what is this for and where can I find it ? 

I noticed your motor wires were soldered together as opposed to using the yellow 3 port plug that is on my ACM . Is this something you did ? 

The control board is attached to the pedal hanger. The thermal paste is required to assure that heat can transfer from the control board metal to the pedal hanger. Don't skip it. Any place that sells electronics should have it. Or Amazon worst case - plenty available in the ~$6 Prime range.

This ACM failed on a hill climb (motor wires/connectors melted together). I cut out the connectors and soldered everything together. And of course when I just redid the pedal shims I had to solder again (I think it's in the video).

Here's the original failure thread:

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The control board is attached to the pedal hanger. The thermal paste is required to assure that heat can transfer from the control board metal to the pedal hanger. Don't skip it. Any place that sells electronics should have it. Or Amazon worst case - plenty available in the ~$6 Prime range.

This ACM failed on a hill climb (motor wires/connectors melted together). I cut out the connectors and soldered everything together. And of course when I just redid the pedal shims I had to solder again (I think it's in the video).

Here's the original failure thread:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Living in a smallish town amazon is my go to from pretty much everything (can’t beat free 2 day shipping or the great prices !) I’ll be sure to get some thermal paste before I set out in the task . 

Yes, I remember seeing this video. I just didn’t put 2 and 2 together . Thanks again man!

50 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

@steve454 or @Marty Backe. Can’t seem to find the paste I bought . ? will this work ? It’s marketed as thermal “grease”. And Napa is now out . 

F3FE4261-C7B8-4799-8A71-1B0E21E512FB.png

Don't know for sure, but some people say it is all the same, with minor differences.  However, do not use Ther ite ,as it is used to wel railroad trcks together.  

47 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

@steve454 or @Marty Backe. Can’t seem to find the paste I bought . ? will this work ? It’s marketed as thermal “grease”. And Napa is now out . 

F3FE4261-C7B8-4799-8A71-1B0E21E512FB.png

That paste is perfect. Same stuff I used on the ACM rebuild. Be sure to clean off all of the old paste on the heatsink flange and pedal hanger. There is a special cleaner and prep solvent I used ( can’t remember but it’s in the video) but acetone should work fine. You want perfectly clean surfaces so the thermo paste optimally transfers heat. 

42 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Also...is there any harm in putting some light padding on top of or under the battery packs to keep them from knocking around in the shell. The sticky stuff that holds the batteries down is no longer sticky . 

I just caught this. I added 1/16” padding over my ACM batteries. Any thicker and your side panels won’t close.

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

That paste is perfect. Same stuff I used on the ACM rebuild. Be sure to clean off all of the old paste on the heatsink flange and pedal hanger. There is a special cleaner and prep solvent I used ( can’t remember but it’s in the video) but acetone should work fine. You want perfectly clean surfaces so the thermo paste optimally transfers heat. 

Super ! Thanks . Just wanted to be sure before I used it . Really trying to avoid any more maintenance accidents . 

Just now, Scott Henley said:

Super ! Thanks . Just wanted to be sure before I used it . Really trying to avoid any more maintenance accidents . 

:thumbup:

Just now, Rehab1 said:

I just caught this. I added 1/16” padding over my ACM batteries. Any thicker and your side panels won’t close.

That’s about the thickness of the padding I’ve got . Didn’t know if there was any risk of excess heat around the battery that could be caused by doing this . 

@Rehab1, you’re the man, man. Thanks !

8 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

That’s about the thickness of the padding I’ve got . Didn’t know if there was any risk of excess heat around the battery that could be caused by doing this . 

@Rehab1, you’re the man, man. Thanks !

:cheers:

Archived