How to Tighten Gotway (ACM) Axle Nuts

Marty Backe

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wonder what the history of this wheel is? This is a 12-MOSFET version? Maybe some of the old-timers are familiar with these earlier motor connectors, but I don't recall seeing one before.

In my opinion, if you're going to go to the trouble of soldering new connectors on the wires, I would just skip the connectors all together. It's not like you have to disconnect these wires very often. My ACM and Monster wires are soldered together.

It’s the original ACM I believe . 67v that originally came with a 6 mosfet board . The pcb was upgraded later to the 12 fet version for obvious reasons. The original 6 sucked . Yeah as I said to @Rehab1, I’d like to lengthen my wires anyway . So I might just cut this old connector off and solder in some bullets when I splice in the extra length . 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In my opinion, if you're going to go to the trouble of soldering new connectors on the wires, I would just skip the connectors all together. It's not like you have to disconnect these wires very often. My ACM and Monster wires are soldered together.

Ah. I see what you saying now . Misread it the first time . Your saying leave the connectors out all together and just solder in some extra length of cable ...like you did . . Leaving enough extra so I can just cut it and resolder if I need tear it down again. 

20 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Ah. I see what you saying now . Misread it the first time . Your saying leave the connectors out all together and just solder in some extra length of cable ...like you did . . Leaving enough extra so I can just cut it and resolder if I need tear it down again. 

Exactly :thumbup:

I've already had to do that once with the ACM (cut my extra length cable), and now that I'm going to replace the motor again, the wires will be cut again. I still have plenty of wire left.

For me it's an easier solution with the added benefit of not having to worry about connector issues. And of course with the added wire length I can safely route the wires away from everything.

Okay. So @Marty Backe says no to new pcb @Rehab1 and EUC guy Mathias Gran say yes . Mathias also said that this particular version of ACM was prone to a bit of play right out of the box . So contemplating my next step. Lol 

ordered a new shell for the time being since some of the screw holes are broken . 

41 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Okay. So @Marty Backe says no to new pcb @Rehab1 and EUC guy Mathias Gran say yes . Mathias also said that this particular version of ACM was prone to a bit of play right out of the box . So contemplating my next step. Lol 

ordered a new shell for the time being since some of the screw holes are broken . 

Without experiencing the 'play', it's hard to really know what you're dealing with based on descriptions in posts. I do suspect some of the play comes from the mechanics inside the motor. For instance, when I re-did my Monster shims/nuts I still have more play than my fellow Monster owners. Certainly I improved the situation, but it didn't fully go away.

I think @Rehab1 offered his opinion prior to you showing the picture of what caused the MOSFET casing damage (a motor wiring laying on top of it). Ask him again if he still thinks it's an issue. Maybe he still does, or maybe not :confused1:  Or maybe @esaj has an opinion - he's knee deep in components. I just don't see how a little plastic melting of the MOSFET shell can cause any problems.

3 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Guess what I just found! A brand new ACM board in my stock pile. This has the new updated software that came from China shortly after the firmware issues. If you are inclined to change the board you can have this for free. I just want it to go to a member that can use it. 

38866953700_8956edc36e_b.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Guess what I just found! A brand new ACM board in my stock pile. This has the new updated software that came from China shortly after the firmware issues. If you are inclined to change the board you can have this for free. I just want it to go to a member that can use it. 

39782215635_4f723a0140_b.jpg

Seriously @Rehab1? I would absolutely love to have it!!! :clap3: . Even though people say mine is “okay” ...I don’t think I’ll be able to fully trust the wheel unless I replace it. A bit more burn on that mosfet and I fear for a failure .  

By the way , where did you get your replacement shell ? Speedyfeet is the only place I can find them in stock so I’m placing an order unless I can manage to fine one in the US . 

4 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Seriously @Rehab1? I would absolutely love to have it!!! :clap3: . Even though people say mine is “okay” ...I don’t think I’ll be able to fully trust the wheel unless I replace it. A bit more burn on that mosfet and I fear for a failure .  

By the way , where did you get your replacement shell ? Speedyfeet is the only place I can find them in stock so I’m placing an order unless I can manage to fine one in the US . 

It is yours. I received my shells from Jason. They were not listed on his site. I just contacted him. PM me. 

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Dealers have a lot of stuff they don't list. Always ask!

Went with speedy feet . Didn’t want to wait. 3 days from UK to US ...pcb and new shell going on Monday . Can’t freakin wait !!

2DD14030-01C3-4186-BFAF-421D3B91961A.png

FA67E46D-FEE5-4D6F-85B3-99B3471912EF.png

16 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Went with speedy feet . Didn’t want to wait. 3 days from UK to US ...pcb and new shell going on Monday . Can’t freakin wait !!

Really fast service!

You’ll need to transfer your pedal magnets and side foam. The foam can be a real bitch to remove. Take your time so it does not rip.

Also don’t make the same mistake I did and flip the magnets upside down on installation. The pedals actually repel from the sides instead of being held up. :blink:

10 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Fed ex priority international.

Charging * :facepalm:

It's going to be a new wheel again.!  New board and shell.  That was mindblowing how you rotated the picture.  I go home now.:blink1:

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Really fast service!

You’ll need to transfer your pedal magnets and side foam. The foam can be a real bitch to remove. Take your time so it does not rip.

Also don’t make the same mistake I did and flip the magnets upside down on installation. The pedals actually repel from the sides instead of being held up. :blink:

:roflmao: . I was just thinking about that . Good old GW hot glue ought to do the job right ? As far as putting the foam back on ...do I need to use any type of adhesive or should they just stick back on to the new panel? 

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It's going to be a new wheel again.!  New board and shell.  That was mindblowing how you rotated the picture.  I go home now.:blink1:

That’s the plan ! Make lemonade out of lemons or something like that. I’m guessing the new shell doesn’t come with the little panels that go under the pedals ...? they aren’t in the product description. 

43 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

:roflmao: . I was just thinking about that . Good old GW hot glue ought to do the job right ? As far as putting the foam back on ...do I need to use any type of adhesive or should they just stick back on to the new panel? 

I used a contact adhesive from work. We purchase the stuff by the gallon. Any contact adhesive or good double faced tape should Work.

18 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Really fast service!

Really fast shipping . Same time as the pcb from you , and you’re in the states . And it only cost me $38 for the shipping. 

36B5C38B-7158-4495-9FB0-7DDCB585ACE9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Really fast shipping . Same time as the pcb from you , and you’re in the states . And it only cost me $38 for the shipping. 

Your shipping cost and delivery time blows me away. I just sent @Smoother a KS14C axle to the UK. It weighted in at a hefty 1 lb and was placed in a cardboard envelope. It cost $23.50 to ship USPS ( snail mail).  UPS would have cost $85.00. Outrageous! :furious:

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your shipping cost and delivery time blows me away. I just sent @Smoother a KS14C axle to the UK. It weighted in at a hefty 1 lb and was placed in a cardboard envelope. It cost $23.50 to ship USPS ( snail mail).  UPS would have cost $85.00. Outrageous! :furious:

Wow ! It was actually cheaper than that ....cost was 23£. That’s actually 31 USD!! Did my math wrong the first time.  And that’s for a big box, shell and side panels.  

BB6737F8-DE94-4E06-9C0D-1B1BBDA12EA7.png

On 3/7/2018 at 12:28 AM, Scott Henley said:

So. Here is another bit of mystery . The wheel is now completely dis assembled . And my original issue which was back and forth play in the wheel is still baffling me. The pedal brackets feel tight . The nuts are not loose . I tried pushing the brackets in opposite directions to see if they would give at all ...and they don’t . So does this mean everything is tight ? Could the shims still be the issue ? I’m about to take the brackets off and have a look at them now . 

I am continually mystified by this "tight nuts, tight shims, rocking motion" problem.  Could it be electrical?  I mean are the signals from the Hall sensor not getting to the board accurately and on time, or are some of the MOSFETs not providing the current needed to accurately keep up with the balance instructions from the board?

@Scott Henley I personally would not ride that wheel with THAT board anymore.  You have no idea what damage has been done internally to that MOSFET.  If you ride it you will forever be wondering when it's going to @Shad0z  you down the road on your face.  That's no fun, and we ride for fun, not to worry.

Question? why not just order the right board with the 3 pin connector attached?

Alternately, you could get a bulletproof board.  They're very expensive, but they do come with a free King Song wheel attached. :D

EDIT  This post was posted before I read that @Rehab1 was/did send a new board.  I'm so far behind, what with entertaining my visitor from Texas.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Question? why not just order the right board with the 3 pin connector attached?

The current board @Scott Henley has is 1st generation. GW no long makes it. Hopefully @Jason McNeil can perform his magic on the new board Scott just received.  (Did you receive it yesterday? :confused1:

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The current board @Scott Henley has is 1st generation. GW no long makes it. Hopefully @Jason McNeil can perform his magic on the new board Scott just received.  (Did you receive it yesterday? :confused1:

Unfortunately I did not . ? It arrived at the UPS location about 2mi from me yesterday morning and has just sat there ever since . It will be here tomorrow, although they define could have delivered yesterday. ?

23 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

But, my shell and panels arrive tomorrow and the butane soldering tool today. So no biggie . I’ll be able to rebuild the wheel tomorrow sans pcb . 

On 3/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, Rehab1 said:

Your shipping cost and delivery time blows me away. I just sent @Smoother a KS14C axle to the UK. It weighted in at a hefty 1 lb and was placed in a cardboard envelope. It cost $23.50 to ship USPS ( snail mail).  UPS would have cost $85.00

Shipping rates unfathomably cheap from the UK to the US. It's half the price to send a Wheel from London to California, crossing 8 timezones, than it is sending to the opposite direction, even with our 75% discounted Fedex rate. Not sure why this is, for routes from China to the West, it's a capacity factor thing, where the cargo planes are filled to capacity, couriers can charge whatever they like, about $10/kg for Dangerous Goods (dimensional weight is always greater than actual). Maybe there's an asymmetric flow of goods from the US to Europe, which might account for this.

Archived