Heads Up Display while riding

Cranium

Would you want to ride with a HUD displaying your speed, GPS navigation, route recording, camera, video, heart rate and more?  Check out the specs:  https://everysight.com/about-raptor/

It sounds pretty great to me!  It's meant for biking but the only thing you will lack with an EUC is power readings and cadence.  But maybe it could be set up to read the power from our EUCs over bluetooth.  I'm tempted to drop the 5 bills for it!

SPEC.png

Everysight Raptor heads up display cycling sunglasses eyewear

They have a demo here:  https://everysight.com/experience-raptor/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Very cool. If I had the money I'd be very interested. I've been looking at the Garmin version for some time. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536#overview

I have many garmin devices (Fenix 5x & 3, 2 virb cameras, edge 1000, bike radar) but the Varia Vision was not on my desire list.  It is basically a dumb secondary display.  It is useless with no built in functionality without being connected to another device and costs $400.   I'm surprised they haven't dropped the price of this yet.  :)

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I have many garmin devices (Fenix 5x & 3, 2 virb cameras, edge 1000, bike radar) but the Varia Vision was not on my desire list.  It is basically a dumb secondary display.  It is useless with no built in functionality without being connected to another device and costs $400.   I'm surprised they haven't dropped the price of this yet.  :)

I only have an Edge 25 for my Brompton with speed and cadence Bluetooth sensors. Size is everything on that bike! Really loved the idea of the Varia Radar but too expensive for me right now and upgrading the computer to support the Vision was not an option. 

It isn't clear to me what functions are built in to the Raptor and which rely on the phone or ANT/Bluetooth sensors. The specs do not list a GPS receiver in the sensor list. If the only source for speed is from a dedicated sensor then you'd have a hard time getting it to work. If it utilized the phone sensor though via  their app then that would be OK. Phone GPS receivers are pretty accurate now. The one in my Edge 25 is abysmal, hence the speed sensor addition. 

23 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I only have an Edge 25 for my Brompton with speed and cadence Bluetooth sensors. Size is everything on that bike! Really loved the idea of the Varia Radar but too expensive for me right now and upgrading the computer to support the Vision was not an option. 

It isn't clear to me what functions are built in to the Raptor and which rely on the phone or ANT/Bluetooth sensors. The specs do not list a GPS receiver in the sensor list. If the only source for speed is from a dedicated sensor then you'd have a hard time getting it to work. If it utilized the phone sensor though via  their app then that would be OK. Phone GPS receivers are pretty accurate now. The one in my Edge 25 is abysmal, hence the speed sensor addition. 

From the specs, it has the following sensors:

• GPS, Glonass
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • BLE 4.1 (Bluetooth Smart)
  • Ant+
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Barometer
  • Accelerometer
  • Magnetometer
  • Proximity sensor to only be on when it is worn.  

image.png.8ddc5a4ca690dbc3f24d6d656edfa470.png

It is all this built in functionality that has me wanting it

Edited by Cranium
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cranium said:

Would you want to ride with a HUD displaying your speed, GPS navigation, route recording, camera, video, heart rate and more?  Check out the specs:  https://everysight.com/about-raptor/

It sounds pretty great to me!  It's meant for biking but the only thing you will lack with an EUC is power readings and cadence.  But maybe it could be set up to read the power from our EUCs over bluetooth.  

https://everysight.com/developers : 

"Soon we’ll be releasing the Raptor DK (development kit), enabling you to build your own unique apps for Raptor smartglasses – the first true AR platform designed for outdoor use.

Accurate Tracking – Raptor DK’s tracking tech optimally integrates AR with objects & environments.
Runs on Android – No need to learn new skills; Raptor DK speaks your language.
"

Wheellog for Raptor! :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cloudust said:

Is it legit? I just registered for invitation but not sure whether I'll get it or not. 

I like the features and style but the product will not be available until 4/30/2018. Lots of positive testimonials but I worry when a company asks for funds upfront 3 months before the product is available. Go Fund Me is one thing but this company is not listed on that site. Not sure why the product is available by invitation only. Wondering if this purely some tactic to spur sales?

39872165111_db66d1ae04_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Hoping this Vuzix Blade pans out, the look is much more stylish to me:

If style is what your looking for try these on for size. Reasonably priced too.

39165687084_17e7e8250c_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Hoping this Vuzix Blade pans out, the look is much more stylish to me:

Those look interesting but they wouldn't be directly functional with an EUC making them useless unless you want to display the weather or play a game while riding. :P   They also only have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless (no GPS or ANT+) so you would have to have your phone feeding any telemetry data to it. 

They want a $250 deposit up front to "apply for the pre-order".  lol.  I don't even know what this really means?  The total price will be $1000 and there is no shipping date.  I don't know how successful they can be with that price point.  

I received my invite and went to pre-order these.  Opting for the 32GB version the cost is $549.  Adding the Light Tint Visor (for riding at night or when there isn't much light) costs another $79.  Shipping adds another $40.  So total cost would be $668.  

They bill you the entire amount as soon as the purchase is complete even though the release date is over 3 months away.  I'm not against making the purchase but am going to wait until it is closer to being released just to make sure things look to still be on track and I have some sort of recourse with my credit card company should Everysight not deliver or they deliver something that does not work as advertised.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I received my invite and went to pre-order these.  Opting for the 32GB version the cost is $549.  Adding the Light Tint Visor (for riding at night or when there isn't much light) costs another $79.  Shipping adds another $40.  So total cost would be $668.  

Congrats! I hope the company is ligit. 

26 minutes ago, Cranium said:

They bill you the entire amount as soon as the purchase is complete even though the release date is over 3 months away.  I'm not against making the purchase but am going to wait until it is closer to being released just to make sure things look to still be on track and I have some sort of recourse with my credit card company should Everysight not deliver or they deliver something that does not work as advertised.  

Go Fund Me has a similar setup where you pay for the product ahead of time. I wish you luck! Better yet, I can hardly wait for your review!:)

2 hours ago, Hansolo said:

There is also the RECON JET https://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/

Yes!  They are better than the Garmin Varia Vision. They have most of the same sensors as the Everysight Raptor.  And they are available now (but sold out?)!

But they cost more at $700 plus another $75 for the clear lenses.  And the design blocks your vision unlike the Raptor.  

I remembered today that I actually did a post at the beginning of 2016 mentioning all 3.  It's taken Everysight over two years to get their product to market!:

Edited by Cranium

Same here....I want to see an actual review of a production model before I drop the money.  But I may find myself hitting the order button one night after a stiff rum & coke because at the start of that buzz, it may seem like the best idea ever!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cranium said:

Same here....I want to see an actual review of a production model before I drop the money.  But I may find myself hitting the order button one night after a stiff rum & coke because at the start of that buzz, it may seem like the best idea ever!

That's so wrong...

Good rum shouldn't need Coke - It should be drunk neat! 

l recommend Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva*.

* Official drink of The Fat Unicyclist.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That's so wrong...

Good rum shouldn't need Coke - It should be drunk neat! 

l recommend Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva*.

* Official drink of The Fat Unicyclist.

hahaha....I have my mixer rum and my sipping rum.  My sipping rum is never mixed and my mixing rum is never sipped. 

My mixing preferred choice is Sailor Jerry.   The Diplomatico is a pretty good sipping rum.  Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23 Rum is another in that price range that is pretty good.  I bought a bottle of El Dorado 21 Year recently that is very good for sipping if you want to spend a bit.

• Like 2

Yeah, I could actually find myself ordering this thing...the more I look at it. Their developer page shows AR type stuff going on. I sent two requests for an invite, but have not received one yet.

I just saw in the news yesterday that Amazon is coming out with one this year, can't find article but sounded very similar. Shoots a laser projection on the lens.