Hi everyone, as it is getting much colder, I was wondering if it is safe to ride the electric unicycle in the cold with temperature below 25 degrees Fahrenheit? like would the unicycle cut-off from being out in the cold for too long, say around 2-3 hours?

As long as you use it, the batteries will stay reasonably warm and so they will work. Key is keeping the batteries warm enough.

But storing the EUC (= it is off or not being ridden, just balancing without much load) in cold temperatures = very bad. We've had people overlean the reduced (due to cold batteries) power and crash, and (assumed) gyro sensor malfunctions after storing the EUC in the cold. Both at around freezing temps. Always store it in room temperatures.

You could also make a little "coat" for your EUC to protect it from wind chill (not sure how bad this actually is, or if it's no problem at all) at very cold temps. Maybe from a first aid thermo blanket, or just some foam.

All I can say for sure, my ACM worked fine on a 2.5h 5°C ride. Not quite 25°F, but I never noticed any problems.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

As long as you use it, the batteries will stay reasonably warm and so they will work. Key is keeping the batteries warm enough.

I agree. If @Li 01 is ambitious an internal, low wattage heat source powered by a 12v external rechargeable battery would be ideal. Even a set of heated socks would work. ;) The downside is removing the panels each time. There is plenty of room in my ACM 1600 for this mod but no thanks as I just finished with my restoration . Today’s ride should be good test at -18 C.  :cry2:

39339188632_5d25dbd9d4_b.jpg

I've been ridding all my unicycles in 5-15 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems, time on EUC never exceeding 20 minutes. 

Be advised in that cold you need complete face protection. 

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I've been ridding all my unicycles in 5-15 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems, time on EUC never exceeding 20 minutes. 

Be advised in that cold you need complete face protection. 

Yes face protection is a must. Curious why you limit your ride to 20 minutes. Battery concerns or are you just cold?

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes face protection is a must. Curious why you limit your ride to 20 minutes. Battery concerns or are you just cold?

20 minutes is the distance for me to reach any of my destinations.

I have tried various ski masks which all work OK but since I do not have googles they all suck. 

My cars battery died before work last night and had to ride my monster to work , but it was only about 4 blocks distance at 15 degrees F and no face protection but my gloves in front of my face.  Also my friend monsterman has had his wheel take off on him after being left in the cold car , as soon as he turned it on it flew out of his hands because he was not ready or expecting it to freak out like it did . Made me a little nervous to ride in the extreme cold , I would not recommend it and the wind in your face is brutal at these temps. Thinking off switching to snow kayaking for the winter, closer to the ground.

14 minutes ago, Steve Persona said:

My cars battery died before work last night and had to ride my monster to work , but it was only about 4 blocks distance at 15 degrees F and no face protection but my gloves in front of my face.  Also my friend monsterman has had his wheel take off on him after being left in the cold car , as soon as he turned it on it flew out of his hands because he was not ready or expecting it to freak out like it did . Made me a little nervous to ride in the extreme cold , I would not recommend it and the wind in your face is brutal at these temps. Thinking off switching to snow kayaking for the winter, closer to the ground.

Now I'm very interested. Did your friend leave the wheel out so that it was well below freezing? I ask because I also had weird behavior on my MSuper when I left it outside in my car. 

Also, I'm not experimenting with my wheels in freezing temperatures. Seems like an invitation to disaster. 

18 hours ago, Steve Persona said:

but it was only about 4 blocks distance at 15 degrees F and no face protection but my gloves in front of my face.  Also my friend monsterman has had his wheel take off on him after being left in the cold car , as soon as he turned it on it flew out of his hands because he was not ready or expecting it to freak out like it did . Made me a little nervous to ride in the extreme cold , I would not recommend it and the wind in your face is brutal at these temps. Thinking off switching to snow kayaking for the winter, closer to the ground.

@Steve Persona You live in freezing Illinois, and the only thing you can protect your face with for a four block trip is a gloved hand?  Not a single scarf or balaclava in your house? :ph34r:

Riding a room temp wheel in the cold is not the same as leaving a wheel to cold soak overnight in 20 Deg f. Temperatures. It's not the ambient temp. thats the problem, it's cold soaking the batteries. Once riding,  the batteries will keep themselves warm.

Cover your face, keep your wheel warm, and ride without worries (icey roads not withstanding). 

PS you drive 4 blocks to work?!! :blink1:

@LanghamP. Why don't you get some goggles?  It sounds like the one piece missing from your puzzle. The lack of tearing eyes, is lovely.  I'll post a link to the goggles I got, in the helmet thread.

I meant to say I didn't have goggles at the time, but I do have two pairs of semi sealed wrap around sunglasses they have interchangeable lenses. 

RIVBOS 805 POLARIZED Sports Sunglasses with 5 Set Interchangeable Lenses for Cycling (Red&Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JB3DU4U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0d6rAbEFSNY20

In practice I find it easier to wear my hjc sport bike helmet especially for such cold weather. 

Archived