Fully replacing a bike for commuting? Beginner questions.

LZmiljoona

3 minutes ago, LZmiljoona said:

haha, I'll see. I'll also be abroad quite a bit over the winter, so not a whole lot of time right now.

Anybody got experience with this tyre or one like it on the KS16S?

No.  But I think it's accurately described "winter/off-road" Great for mud and fresher snow, bad for hard surfaces, and ice/densely packed snow (Very noisy, fast wearing).  But don't think for one second you will be able to change tires in the evening to match tomorrows weather.  In addition to the hassle of changing tires, getting the wheel apart and together is a real PITA. Better buy two EUC and put this tire on one of them. :D Looks like you can screw studs into it for ice/hard packed snow.  Hmmm, You've got me thinking now, I've got two wheels, one of them is already in pieces........:rolleyes:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, LZmiljoona said:

I can't stop watching EUC videos and I really really want one. But over the past night, winter hit (really early for where I live) and we got a bit of snow, and I wonder if I should just wait for spring to learn the EUC.

Since you are banging up your first e_Horse anyway in the process of learning, you may very well go ahead an have Santa Claus get you one. Practicing in the snow, will definitely be harder and take longer, but if your brain will figure it out under such difficult conditions, you will become a hell of a rider, when the snow is gone. And falling in the snow looks more fun than falling on asphalt. But be advised it is definitely more dangerous to learn on snow and as with snowboarding you should learn, practice and master how to fall before you get on your new toy. I myself would probably not wait. Just got myself a vurtego V4 pogo stick for Christmas in order to expand into the 3rd dimension. So let's see how this goes. ? 

I haven't got any experience with ice/snow yet, but my limited experience with mud has terrified me about the danger potential of ice.  I hit any mud, even on the otherwise very stable KS18, and I immediately feel out of control.  Surprisingly out of control.  I didn't expect it to be quite as difficult to get through slick terrain. 

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Be sure and video your training, so we can all figure out how you broke your (_________) fill in the blank :popcorn:

Got it! It will look like this .... I HOPE. I consider it a work out and advance falling practice ?

4 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I haven't got any experience with ice/snow yet, but my limited experience with mud has terrified me about the danger potential of ice.  I hit any mud, even on the otherwise very stable KS18, and I immediately feel out of control.  Surprisingly out of control.  I didn't expect it to be quite as difficult to get through slick terrain. 

In time, your brain will figure it out. Actually faster then you may think. "You learn skiing in summer!" they say. And it is true. There are a lot of subcontious things going on when learning. So just keep on trying. I hated mud and wet green after a nights rainfall, BUT now I love it. It's like a drug. Before practicing in the snow, going to Hawaii and practicing in the sand on the beach might be a good idea. ?

10 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

There's a patch of mud in the middle of my driveway, right where it intersects the sidewalk.  It was the natural place for me to turn on to the sidewalk.  I don't turn there anymore -_- Gets your attention in the middle of a turn

2 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Before practicing in the snow, going to Hawaii and practicing in the sand on the beach might be a good idea. ?

I've ridden a few beaches in Spain.  Its fun, until you hit a soft spot and the wheel stops dead.  Nah! it's still fun.  Loose deep gravel is good training; lots of sliding sideways and twisting as the wheel scrabbles for grip.   Also fun.

32 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Slick mud is scary.  I have hit a few patches at slow speed, and now I avoid it  or walk the wheel through it if at all possible.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Just found out there is a dealer still selling them.  I like the looks of the wheel, but the battery is very small.https://www.electricunicycles.eu/solowheel_xtreme_160_wh_(white)-c__166

Thank you for the link! ❤️ Much appreciated. They also have winter and snow tires. (Happy!) The battery really is small and range and speed are most dreadful. ??  but is awfully beautiful ? I hope they can't ship to Japan otherwise I might be tempted to buy one.

17 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Thank you for the link! ❤️ Much appreciated. They also have winter and snow tires. (Happy!) The battery really is small and range and speed are most dreadful. ??  but is awfully beautiful ? I hope they can't ship to Japan otherwise I might be tempted to buy one.

On second thought, ... I might just put one of these winter tires on my trusted friend, the Ninebot One E+ for snow fun, and since it doesn't allow for crazy speeds in winter it's rather easy to resist the temptation that my MSuper V3 would pose. But before I order, are there any tutorials for dummies on how to change tires? Is it easy or as horrible as I imagine it to be ... or even worse? 

7 hours ago, LZmiljoona said:

I can't stop watching EUC videos and I really really want one. But over the past night, winter hit (really early for where I live) and we got a bit of snow, and I wonder if I should just wait for spring to learn the EUC.

And now y'all are posting winter videos :D

As soon as I had to put on a long sleeve shirt I knew it was winter. It's 10pm and 63 degrees (17 Celsius) - yikes :shock2: :cry2:

If you have an area where you can practice and learn (parking garages?) I would get one now so that come summer, you'll be a pro at riding and you can fully enjoy the summer. 

17 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

????? ? (puzzled) 

Sorry, my English is not that good. What am I missing here? ??

@Marty Backe lives in the sunny and mild climate of (southern?) California whereas most of us live in grimmer climates.

Therefore we treat him like the Toe of Satan.

https://www.vat19.com/item/toe-of-satan-lollipop-worlds-spiciest-lollipop

2 minutes ago, kour said:

smoother is jealous ;)

Jealous?? ? Of whom? Or what? And why? Why would he be jealous? Isn't it sad that Marty can't enjoy the 4 seasons normal people can enjoy? I feel sorry for him. But may be I just don't understand foreigners jokes?! ?

3 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Isn't it sad that Marty can't enjoy the 4 seasons normal people can enjoy? I feel sorry for him.

haha, that's another way to look at it :)

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

@Marty Backe lives in the sunny and mild climate of (southern?) California whereas most of us live in grimmer climates.

man, i gotta order one of those...

4 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Jealous?? ? Of whom? Or what? And why? Why would he be jealous? Isn't it sad that Marty can't enjoy the 4 seasons normal people can enjoy? I feel sorry for him. But may be I just don't understand foreigners jokes?! ?

Every time one of my friends does well, a little bit of me dies.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Toe of Satan.

Smells like sulfur ... I pitty him too! May be I should invite Marty to visite beautiful Japan. We are lucky. We have 4 seasons. We can take our e_Horses to snow and sand and rice fields and ride under falling cherry pedals or right now on red and yellow autum leafs venture into the jungle, the dunes and in any landscape you can dream of. We even have hot springs. Marty has only warm. Poor Marty! Please come to Japan, so you can experience what you missed all life long!

11 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Every time one of my friends does well, a little bit of me dies.

If you have such friends then I shall be your one enemy and make you happy and feel alive. Don't die! ?

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As soon as I had to put on a long sleeve shirt I knew it was winter. It's 10pm and 63 degrees (17 Celsius) - yikes :shock2: :cry2:

"In the depth of winter,

I finally learned 

that there was in me an invincible summer." 

(Albert Camus)

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Where the hell (see what I did there) do you fine references like this :D

Japan can have our Canadian winters.  If it was summer here all year long I wouldn't :crying:.  Days are so short by the time 5:30 pm rolls around it's dark plus there's so much snow, and the cold sucks the heat out of you.  Thankfully it's been mild lately so I shouldn't complain too much.  Anything over 0°C is a nice day.  If some more snow would melt away that would be perfect.  I don't mind bundling up if I can try out my Tesla a bit more!

Archived