Fully replacing a bike for commuting? Beginner questions.

LZmiljoona

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Japan can have our Canadian winters.  If it was summer here all year long

Where exactly are you, when you say "here"? If it WERE summer in Kyoto all year long, several people would melt down around Christmas. ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  ??

We get some Chinook winds and El Niño weather so it gets warm sometimes during some winters.  This year has been pretty mild so far!  :w00t2:  Summers here reach 29-32°C sometimes (if we're lucky!), but the season seems short some years.  Fall seems to have been truncated as it goes from summer to winter in a snap!

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, Smoother said:

Is it against forum rules to start a:

I HATE @Marty Backe, THREAD?

or has someone started one already?:angry:

I've been paying off Gotway to send Marty "enhanced" wheels for some time now... But so far he has been too lucky.

Though what that have "arranged" for his new Tesla is impressive! All I have to do is push this button here and... Oops... :whistling:

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Fall seems to have been truncated as it goes from summer to winter in a snap!

The same is happening here in Austria, and Europe in general, I think. It's nice and warm/hot, and suddenly it's cold, wet, gray and grim. Not a lot of nice sweater weather...

Btw, is it possible to estimate when new, updated wheels are gonna be released? Like f.ex. with certain phones you'd wait for a few weeks to buy a new one because it's probable a new one is going to be released soon.

I'm looking especially at Kingsong.

16S and 18S are quite new, 18L is coming in a few months. I don't think there will be a new 16 or 18 inch wheel from KS soon (before summer/autumn next year at the very earliest), and if there was, usually we know a few months in advance (like with the 18L).

Even Gotway, which are the fastest between announcement and release, will take a month or two. So it's not like you get surprised by new wheels suddenly and unexpectedly being available.

Timeline:

• Maybe a Gotway msuper V3 replacement soon? (18 inch)
  • 18L early next year (I guess).
  • Ninebot One Z first half of next year (I guess).
  • The rumored Rockwheel 18 incher (no idea when).

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

16S and 18S are quite new, 18L is coming in a few months. I don't think there will be a new 16 or 18 inch wheel from KS soon (before summer/autumn next year at the very earliest), and if there was, usually we know a few months in advance (like with the 18L).

Even Gotway, which are the fastest between announcement and release, will take a month or two. So it's not like you get surprised by new wheels suddenly and unexpectedly being available.

Timeline:

• Maybe a Gotway msuper V3 replacement soon? (18 inch)
  • 18L early next year (I guess).
  • Ninebot One Z first half of next year (I guess).
  • The rumored Rockwheel 18 incher (no idea when).

Beside 18L and Z10 the rumours i know are:

Rockwheel 92Volt Gt16

GW 20 inch

Normally the companies are that clever and dont go to public with a new version, before it is soon available.

At least when the "new" wheel is a follower of the old, because then nobody will buy the old one anymore :-)

Just now, LZmiljoona said:

alright, so no new 16''er to expect, especially not from Kingsong.

The Ninebot One Z leaks don't look too appealing for me for several reasons.

A new Inmotion - like the V8, but more range - would also interest me.

Afaik Inmotion is out of the EUC market....they were not happy with the V8 sales and try other things in the electric vehicle market.

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Afaik Inmotion is out of the EUC market....they were not happy with the V8 sales and try other things in the electric vehicle market.

Oh wow, didn't know that. That's a bummer - seemed like high quality products from what I can tell as a noob.

Just now, LZmiljoona said:

A new Inmotion - like the V8, but more range - would also interest me.

Tell me about it.  :rolleyes:

I feel like the Inmotions don't get a lot of love on this forum for some reason.  It kills me that they basically abandoned the market while, in my view, being the industry leader. 

Thankfully King Song has filled in the gap for the most part with their S series, but Inmotion is still on a higher level when it comes to design and production quality. 

aaah, and as i understand, the Msuper and ACM will get the new 1900/2000 Watt motor of the tesla and also the much better firmware.

But dont nail me on this one....just rumours.

And another:

Finally the 100Volt Monster will make it to market, but this for me doesnt gor under rumours anymore, thats a fact :-)

2 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I feel like the Inmotions don't get a lot of love on this forum for some reason.

The general vibe I'm getting from this forum is people prefer speed and power over safety and quality. This is not meant as a negative thing - it makes sense, people who are active in forums are the enthusiasts. People that are active in car forums will also on average have different opinions than the general car-using population.

If EUC want to succeed as one (of many) new modes of personal transport, next to e-bikes, e-kickbikes etc. in a mobility shift that is (hopefully) going to happen, most people will not want to go as fast as possible and talk about it in a forum. I'd also like to see more discussion about EUCs as serious transportation on here, but hey, as long as people are having fun, it's all good.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:12 PM, Toshio Uemura said:

Jealous?? ? Of whom? Or what? And why? Why would he be jealous? Isn't it sad that Marty can't enjoy the 4 seasons normal people can enjoy? I feel sorry for him. But may be I just don't understand foreigners jokes?! ?

Oh, he's got four seasons alright, spring, summer, autumn, spring.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:26 PM, Toshio Uemura said:

We can take our e_Horses to snow and sand and rice fields and ride under falling cherry pedals or right now on red and yellow autum leafs venture into the jungle, the dunes and in any landscape you can dream of. We even have hot springs. Marty has only warm. Poor Marty! Please come to Japan, so you can experience what you missed all life long!

Dont feel sorry for "poor" Marty, he's got beaches, hills, mountains, and miles of bike trails.  If he ventures inland a bit, he's got Big Bear Ski area, deserts, Death Valley (hint B)) and even the Le Brea tar pits for God's sake.  Its a paradise on earth! (except for Compton and East LA in general :blink: of course)

Well, if I didn't post it someone would have.:rolleyes:

On 12/1/2017 at 11:41 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Days are so short by the time 5:30 pm rolls around it's dark

We long for those crazy long days, here in England.  Its dark by 16:10 here. And I bets it earlier than that for our Scandi riders.

19 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Finally the 100Volt Monster will make it to market, but this for me doesnt gor under rumours anymore, thats a fact :-)

Somewhere in my distant work as an electrician, it was considered that dc voltage became dangerous above a certain level.  I believe 60V was the max.  So all modern wheels, especially these 84V, 90V and 100V wheels have the potential to kill us electrically as well as kinetically (flinging us under a bus, etc).

People, be aware of this when poking about inside your wheel doing something as innocent as replacing a tire or fuse.  THERE ARE KILLER DC VOLTAGES LURKING. AND IF YOU GRAB DC CURRENT YOUR MUSCLES CONTRACT AND YOU CAN'T LET GO.

slim, chance, I know, but worth being aware of.  After all, there are youngsters, and non-tech types here, who know nothing of these dangers

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Somewhere in my distant work as an electrician, it was considered that dc voltage became dangerous above a certain level.  I believe 60V was the max.  So all modern wheels, especially these 84V, 90V and 100V wheels have the potential to kill us electrically as well as kinetically (flinging us under a bus, etc).

People, be aware of this when poking about inside your wheel doing something as innocent as replacing a tire or fuse.  THERE ARE KILLER DC VOLTAGES LURKING. AND IF YOU GRAB DC CURRENT YOUR MUSCLES CONTRACT AND YOU CAN'T LET GO.

slim, chance, I know, but worth being aware of.  After all, there are youngsters, and non-tech types here, who know nothing of these dangers

Frightening. 

What gloves should I wear in order to not be a Christmas tree? 

Just now, LanghamP said:

Frightening. 

thick ones.  Actually, Marigolds (dishwashing gloves) offer enough protection against even mains electricity as long as a strand of live wire, doesn't penetrate.  I think the biggest risk is shorting something carrying battery voltage with something metal. like a screwdriver, or metal tire lever.  Not deadly but man would there be a blinding flash followed by a reduction of cash, to fix the damage.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Sorry, thats actually not true......seams your electrician work is while back ;-)

As our voltages ar only DC and not AC the limit for DC voltages to contact/touch is set at about 120Volt! AC is another story...and in fact it is AC , where you can not let go after touching!!!

Actually you can touch all of our wheels chargeparts without any problems and without recognizing anything.

What still is true, that you shouldnt "poke" around in the wheel...as you can easily damage something....Also beware of the capacitors as these can hold the voltage even when battery is disconnected.

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Sorry, thats actually not true......seams your electrician work is while back ;-)

As our voltages ar only DC and not AC the limit for DC voltages to contact/touch is set at about 120Volt! AC is another story...and in fact it is AC , where you can not let go after touching!!!

Actually you can touch all of our wheels chargeparts without any problems and without recognizing anything.

What still is true, that you shouldnt "poke" around in the wheel...as you can easily damage something....Also beware of the capacitors as these can hold the voltage even when battery is disconnected.

Having read it both ways on the internet.  I don't want to start a discussion about relative "pull-off" mA values for AC and DC (both below 1A BTW).  I'll take your word for it. But I'm not going to try and verify your "touch anything" statement.  Having had an analog phone wire in my mouth (stripping the insulation) when someone rang the phone (90Vdc) let's just say it really got my attention. Yes I know, wet mouth, not the same as dry skin, blah, blah, blah.

I don't think I would want to go publicly online to an open audience, in perpetuity, and tell everyone they are perfectly safe, when I cannot know all the variables in every situation. You're very brave.

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes! Very important advice! Should be on the very first page of this forum and repeated multiple times at any possible occasion.

After having seen the redundancy video of the Tesla, where they disconnected all battery cables and the wheel was still running full power wildly beeping out warning sounds, I thought: Woww! Think twice before you touch anything in there again. And I survived exchanging the control board of my MSuper V3s+. Boy, was I lucky! ??

21 hours ago, Smoother said:

12 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Yes! Very important advice! Should be on the very first page of this forum and repeated multiple times at any possible occasion.

After having seen the redundancy video of the Tesla, where they disconnected all battery cables and the wheel was still running full power wildly beeping out warning sounds, I thought: Woww! Think twice before you touch anything in there again. And I survived exchanging the control board of my MSuper V3s+. Boy, was I lucky! ??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-low_voltage

Also with 100V there is still just very low risk. Especially since the wheels electric is not grounded.

To stay with the example one would have to put one cable in the mouth and another at/in another good conducting body part, so that the current passes the heart.

Or wash ones hand with warm water, much soap and touch both cables firmly...

... Both cases should be about the same danger ad trying this with 60V...

That's maybe meant in the wiki article with electric installations above 60V need a certification (?in the UK?)

Touching varying conductors in the wheel with one hand should inflict absolutely nothing but maybe a very very "tingly" sensation/pain in this part and touching with two try hands maybe some uncoordinated movements and some pain?

So best protection is some common sense, especially to look with the eyes and not with the fingers!

Touching the motherboard gives more likely some destroyed components by static electricity...

The most dangerous part is still shortening the batteries by accident, or "fighting" with the motor while its spinning (the msuper v3s+ gets about 4,6kW peak output power)

21 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Frightening. 

Any plastic gloves will suffice - they just should be mechanicly stable enough to not get punctured/teared. But still best to not touch any contucting places especially not at the motherboard especially not with both hands.

... Or just work with try hands and handle the electrics with normal care...

PS.: Did some more reading regarding this topic.

The effect of muscle contraction so one cannot release again i found only described in regard to AC and not for DC? But DC effects are much harder to find/not too much described...

One bad thing about DC is the possibility of electrolisis. This can have poisinous effects still some days after an incident!

Also a nice remark found: be carefull with metallic accesoires like rings/necklaces/etc. They greatly reduce contact resistance. And could shorten the battery...

Archived