EUC racing?

Pard

Anybody race EUCs?

I race a Gotway Msuper V3 against my kid on an Inmotion V8, and he kicks my old sorry behind every time. 

I have the edge on the straights with top speed, but I lose the time on the corners.  The V8 does not seem to need to slow down on the sharp turns nearly as much as the warthog gotway.

Paved winding path through the woods with nobody around is ideal for EUC racing.

Give it a try!

• Pard changed the title to EUC racing?
  • 2 months later...

This thought crossed my mind yesterday. After about 7 months of riding, I am getting more used to high speed turns and maintaining higher speed at different conditions. Plus, I started bending my knees more to realize a lower center of gravity. All of this seems to add up to great opportunity for some X-games stuff.

All the top EUC manufacturers could get together to sponsor races for prize money. Other companies could sponsor racers to represent (advertise) them in the races. This really could work.

@Diana@szkingsong.com, what do you think about that? :)

Definitely better to have something like a motocross track rather than a drag race. We all know it's not a good idea to explore the top speed.

I think the perfect sponsor would be Bob Evans Pork Sausage because they are never over-lean.

I'm a fan of motorcycle racing but I'm not a fan at all of motocross racing because any small advantage of racer has eventually turns into a big advantage, that is, the field spreads out and the racing is rarely close.

In contrast, motorcycle road racing is often close because the top speed of the following bikes is higher than the top speed of the 1st bike.

Finally, in road bicycling racing, except for hills the racing is entirely close.

EUC racing would be more like motorcross due to the inability of safely reaching a top speed. If anything even a tiny top speed advtange to one racer would result in a huge win and I don't know how you'd get around that problem. Time trials would probably work great but that isn't racing; it's time trials.

Put wheels on something and you'll find brave men racing it, the adage goes, but not all the time, not with a fundementally unstable creature such as a wheel.

Has anyone ever watched arm wrestling contests? Most boring sport ever. Why? Because 95% of starts are invalid. Same thing with EUC racing; 95% of, say, a drag-race would result in an overlean and the resulting face-plant.

In my opinion, EUCs would fare better in sports that take advantage of their fundamental instability; such as, jousting, polo, trials over obstacles,  long-distance treasure hunting (what's that called when people go point to point without a map), GPS caching, basically anything that precludes using the top speed of the EUC.

I would like to see some sort of barrel racing obstacle skill course combining turning skills and speed but have it timed. Then the manufacturers could get a good sense of what the equally sized motors could achieve without having to worry about road racing style cutouts. If you run outta gas on a motorcycle or car, you still can coast to a stop. Not so on a wheeled gyroscope. Not yet...

Think about an mTen vs a V8 vs a Glide 3 vs KS14c you could even throw in an old ks18ay with the 800w motor and see how they all match up. Riding skill will even out the speed differencial so that not only the puny riders who can more safely push their vehicles would be advantaged. (i say this as a puny rider).

One of the best things for racing unicycles is the contact between racers. This contact change the race objective: last one standing win.

I do something like that 9 years ago and somebody uploaded to YouTube 

I'm the guy with a 29" unicycle B)

I been practice turns with a circuit in 8 shape inspired from this motorbike instructional video:

I found this exercise funny and useful, and there the skill are more important than the EUC speed. Easy to transform in a competition of how much time you take in complete 12 laps for a time trial or a last man standing circuit for a fight race

• 2 weeks later...

That mini drome looks awesome! Its something like I suggested to do, one 8 where do 10 laps. Setting the 8 length at 3m (for example), we can do time track and see who's the quickest unicycle rider

6 hours ago, Demargon said:

How fast go the bike? I think 20km/h is enough fast for the centrifuge force make the gyroscope think is almost vertical despite the inclination 

There's an interesting although inconclusive post about just that. No one yet knows what happens, although from @EUC Extreme s videos, some EUCs seem able to run on a severe incline (ie half-pipe).

The tilt-angle in space of a vertically held EUC pointed to the north or to the south changes by 15º per hour due to the rotation of the earth. Hence one would believe that the gyro must determine the tilt angle relative to the downforce.

Archived