Gotway Mten3 Tube Replacement

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately putting any more grooves into the current OEM tire would weaken or destroy it. The rubber is just not thick enough.

Agreed. Mini/Mini Pro tires are blowout central according to that community base.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately putting any more grooves into the current OEM tire would weaken or destroy it. The rubber is just not thick enough. Is there a tool that can be used to remove some of the thread from the knobby tire I just ordered? :)

I know you have some floor sanders in your mad-scientist workshop. Surely you could devise a fixture to hold the tire as you sand it down :popcorn:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Hardest part is de-tiring, re-tiring, but lubricant + clamps + proper long metal tire levers make this process much, much easier.

I think preheating the stock tire with hairdryer before removing and soaking the new tire in hot water before fitting can greatly reduce the required force. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I know you have some floor sanders in your mad-scientist workshop. Surely you could devise a fixture to hold the tire as you sand it down :popcorn:

I must admit you have a creative imagination with wood working tools.;)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

The stock tire was replaced with  MTen3, option 2 (70/65-6.5).

The removing was not so difficult (after preheating with hairdryer) , but the tire was stuck to the rim. I tough it is glued, but probably it is something similar to Slime, because there was a liquid, about 0.06litres, in the tire. The stock tire was tubeless. 

The fitting of the new tire was not difficult too (after soaking in hot water), but there was a air leakage most notably around the valve and minor between the tire and rim, probably from scratches I made during unsticking the stock tire. 

To eliminate the air leakage a spray for temporary repair of tires available in Bulgaria was successfully used.

The driving is way better now.

Sorry for my English. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Oh goody. Look what’s arriving in a few days. :crying:

28304131629_c2aabcf6b6_b.jpg

Your motivation to work on this stuff is low right now, but if you get a chance to look at it and judge whether it will fit given the constraints of the shell, please let us know :popcorn:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Your motivation to work on this stuff is low right now, but if you get a chance to look at it and judge whether it will fit given the constraints of the shell, please let us know :popcorn:

Winter will be over by the time I’m able to do anything mechanical. I also have a spy at work, my sister-in-law,  that would probably rat me out. I thought about this. If your interested I would donate and gladly ship the tire to you for evaluation and possible install. PM me. 

argh! I too got a tube leak on my MTen3 - and this is so frustrating, I managed to get it to my short trip to Florida, and... it happened during the very first ride. bummer. The leak is too big, I believe, to try fixing it with a slime - after putting some air in, it looses all of it in a matter of 1-2 min, and I hear the hissing sound somewhere close to the valve.

I studied the topic - but not sure what the current verdict is for the best follow up action - going tubeless? changing to the Mini Pro tire as @houseofjob recommended? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trya said:

argh! I too got a tube leak on my MTen3 - and this is so frustrating, I managed to get it to my short trip to Florida, and... it happened during the very first ride. bummer. The leak is too big, I believe, to try fixing it with a slime - after putting some air in, it looses all of it in a matter of 1-2 min, and I hear the hissing sound somewhere close to the valve.

I studied the topic - but not sure what the current verdict is for the best follow up action - going tubeless? changing to the Mini Pro tire as @houseofjob recommended? 

Given the good luck (knock on wood) that I've had with my tire (285-miles), if I get a flat that Slime can't fix, I think I'll just get another tube and the tire that @houseofjob recommends.

BTW, you have nothing to lose but $10 by trying the Slime. And maybe patching the tire could be possible. Short-term solutions until you get back home. Good luck.

@tryna I have still yet to go tubeless, partly due to procrastination being busy, and partly due to the bent valve stems I've bought being slightly too thick, necessitating me to dremel, which I still have yet to invest in one yet.

Tubeless or not, as an MTen3 owner, I like to have redundancy in supply, 2 inner tubes (both on and off the wheel).

• Like 1

@Marty Backe can you remind me how much Slime goes into the 10" tube? I remember you mentioned it somewhere, but can't find it :) 

will go shopping for Slime after (hopefully) the Falcon Heavy launch a 3:45 - I'm just 10-15 miles from the launch pad

Edited by trya
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, trya said:

@Marty Backe can you remind me how much Slime goes into the 10" tube? I remember you mentioned it somewhere, but can't find it :) 

will go shopping for Slime after (hopefully) the Falcon Heavy launch a 3:45 - I'm just 10-15 miles from the launch pad

I put ~3-4 ounces in mine.

Wow, that's cool that you'll be able to see the launch. They are very impressive if you've never seen one before. Surprised you can't get closer (if you wanted to).

EDIT: Remember to spin up the tire (do a lift test) after putting the Slime in, to distribute it and hopefully fill the hole.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trya said:

thanks! we don't plan to get closer - locals say that it is as good to watch from here as from the closer spot

I just watched the launch live. Very exciting. Hopefully you had good visibility. Did you see the two boosters return simultaneously - that was fantastic.

• Like 1

we actually drove closer and watched it from the causeway across the Canaveral. It was interesting to watch it live - but still not as impressive as on the SpaceX videos. The return of the boosters was even more entertaining than the launch - the engines didn't work all the time on their way back, we saw them fired once in the sky when they were approaching, and then after 30-40 sec - they fired again already close to the ground.

I put Slime into the tube, span it, added air - it leaked instantly. Tried it again - and had some hope, because the tire seemed to hold air, but as soon as I mounted it and started riding - it immediately leaked again. oh well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trya said:

we actually drove closer and watched it from the causeway across the Canaveral. It was interesting to watch it live - but still not as impressive as on the SpaceX videos. The return of the boosters was even more entertaining than the launch - the engines didn't work all the time on their way back, we saw them fired once in the sky when they were approaching, and then after 30-40 sec - they fired again already close to the ground.

I put Slime into the tube, span it, added air - it leaked instantly. Tried it again - and had some hope, because the tire seemed to hold air, but as soon as I mounted it and started riding - it immediately leaked again. oh well.

Glad you were able to see the launch (and landing).

Too bad about the tube. During a group ride someone got a flat and it seemed like the Slime worked, but within a minute the tire deflated again. When he remove the tube he discovered two 'snake-bite' punctures which were just too big.

Will be interesting to see where the rip in the tube is when you remove it. Still could be potentially patched (hey, I'm an optimist).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trya said:

What an awesome sight on TV but watching it live would be priceless. Glad you had a chance to see both the launch and rocket booster landing. A miraculous feat.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My Mten3 tire (probably tube?) has a leak that slime doesn't fix. It sort of holds pressure overnight but when I tried to ride it, it was effectively flat after about 1 mile after which I had to carry it the rest of the way. I don't have a lot of tools or place to work here (in a tiny studio apartment atm). What are my best options for fixing it?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, electricpen said:

My Mten3 tire (probably tube?) has a leak that slime doesn't fix. It sort of holds pressure overnight but when I tried to ride it, it was effectively flat after about 1 mile after which I had to carry it the rest of the way. I don't have a lot of tools or place to work here (in a tiny studio apartment atm). What are my best options for fixing it?

There have been lots of discussion here, including links to new tires, tubes, tubeless mods, etc.

First, inspect the tire closely (I use a magnifying glass) to see if you can identy the source of the puncture. If it's a nail, thorn, etc. you often have to remove it before Slime can do it's thing.

Otherwise you'll have to either replace the tube or patch it. The Mten3 is easy to open for accessing the tire. If I didn't want to wait for a new tube I would remove the existing tube and patch it. All very doable in a small space.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

here is the picture of my punctured MTen3 tire - to my surprise, the hole is verysmall, but slime didn't work. It is also in a kind of unusual place, it looks like it was not really a puncture but rather some kind of "wear"? What do experts say? On the picture you see the slime bubble, but the actual hole looks more like a 2-3mm cut.

r5eRctM.jpg

• Like 1