Gotway Mten3 Tube Replacement

15 minutes ago, trya said:

here is the picture of my punctured MTen3 tire - to my surprise, the hole is verysmall, but slime didn't work. It is also in a kind of unusual place, it looks like it was not really a puncture but rather some kind of "wear"? What do experts say? On the picture you see the slime bubble, but the actual hole looks more like a 2-3mm cut.

r5eRctM.jpg

If it's a cut then I think Slime has a harder time filling the 'hole', because there is no hole. Also, your Slime looks very clear. Do you recall if you shook the bottle vigorously before adding Slime to the tire. Shaking it distributes all of the large 'particles' in the Slime. It's those particles that fill the hole (and maybe cut?) and plug the leak. 

• Like 1

@Marty Backe, yes, I did shake the bottle - but my wheel was idle for a long time since the puncture, so perhaps the liquid got separated from the heavy fraction already inside the tube. It is not a cut, it just looks like one, maybe it is better described as a small tear. It is strange why it appeared on the side of the tube, where tire has no contact with the pavement

4 hours ago, trya said:

@Marty Backe, yes, I did shake the bottle - but my wheel was idle for a long time since the puncture, so perhaps the liquid got separated from the heavy fraction already inside the tube. It is not a cut, it just looks like one, maybe it is better described as a small tear. It is strange why it appeared on the side of the tube, where tire has no contact with the pavement

I suspect Slime just doesn't handle tears very wheel. It's known not to work with snake-bites, which are also tears. Also, I think Slime is only good for ~1/8 inch, so yours in on the edge.

Amazingly I've still not have any tire issues and I have over 400-miles on mine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@houseofjob, I looked in this thread but couldn't find the source of the tubes that you bought for your Mten3. My tire is giving me more problems so I'm anticipating having to put a new tube in it eventually. At the same time I'm going to upgrade to the tire that you recommended.

Can you tell me where you purchased your inner tubes and the exact size that you went with?

Thanks. 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:06 AM, Marty Backe said:

@houseofjob, I looked in this thread but couldn't find the source of the tubes that you bought for your Mten3. My tire is giving me more problems so I'm anticipating having to put a new tube in it eventually. At the same time I'm going to upgrade to the tire that you recommended.

Can you tell me where you purchased your inner tubes and the exact size that you went with?

Thanks. 

Tire: Version II, same size as the stock 70/65-6.5 (I've bought twice from them, both times, they thought it was a mistake because I was just ordering one, not a pair, thinking I was a Ninebot Mini / Mini Pro owner FYI)

Inner Tube: 10 x 2.125

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

@houseofjob thanks again for your recommendation of the tire, I too weigh 170# now, what psi are you running this tire?  lost 15# first month learning on Kingsong 14s 680wh.  @Marty Backe watched your tear down video on the Mten3 for guidance and LED strip survived.  Thank you... this tire makes Mten3 even more maneuverable, smaller contact to the surface, can't wait to see what you do with it lol.  I too have been bit by EUC bug and fever is running high. :cheers:

p.s. thanks for ACM2 recommendation.  Amazed how smooth and comfortable it is every time I ride it...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

@houseofjob thanks again for your recommendation of the tire, I too weigh 170# now, what psi are you running this tire?  lost 15# first month learning on Kingsong 14s 680wh.  @Marty Backe watched your tear down video on the Mten3 for guidance and LED strip survived.  Thank you... this tire makes Mten3 even more maneuverable, smaller contact to the surface, can't wait to see what you do with it lol.  I too have been bit by EUC bug and fever is running high. :cheers:

p.s. thanks for ACM2 recommendation.  Amazed how smooth and comfortable it is every time I ride it...

I'm ordering the new tire now. I'm excited to find out what @houseofjob has been talking about :)

The sweet spot for me is 35psi

The Mten3 and ACM2 - you have the best wheels :thumbup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Tire: Version II, same size as the stock 70/65-6.5 (I've bought twice from them, both times, they thought it was a mistake because I was just ordering one, not a pair, thinking I was a Ninebot Mini / Mini Pro owner FYI)

Inner Tube: 10 x 2.125

Thanks - order has been placed. Can't wait to try this new tire :efefae4566:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

@houseofjob thanks again for your recommendation of the tire, I too weigh 170# now, what psi are you running this tire?

Don't go by the tire markings, go by your weight and feel while mounted on the wheel.

For my MTen3 with the Type II tire + inner tube, I've settled in at somewhere between 40-45PSI.

• Like 2

Wow, not the answer I was expecting... my Mten3 came to me tubeless. I'm at 34 psi... just goes to show the skill level of senior members on this forum...  Namaste to you... in ancient definition, my soul bows to yours with respect...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Quick update... much less pedal scraps compared to oem tire...

Interesting. Although after about 450-miles on my Mten3 I can literally count the number of scrapes on one hand.

New tire on a motorcycle is huge in riding dynamics... this new tires cross section profile is very different.  As much as @Marty Backe seems to like upper spectrum of tire pressure on other wheels, very curious to see where you will end up on the tire pressure... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

New tire on a motorcycle is huge in riding dynamics... this new tires cross section profile is very different.  

Same for EUC's!, as I tend to view EUC as cousin to motorcycles ?

This is why I love CYT / Chao Yang Tires, because you can get a very solid rubbery / cushy feel, especially if you are changing from a typical hollow-feeling Kenda.

FWIW, the 'Type II' MTen3 isn't a phenomenal tire. But as there are literally only 2 options (stock vs type II), the Type II is at least a regular, somewhat symmetrical tread (smooth center), whereas the stock tire Gotway puts on the MTen3 is simply unrideable IMHO, was never was meant to be used singularly.

5 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Wow, not the answer I was expecting... my Mten3 came to me tubeless. I'm at 34 psi... just goes to show the skill level of senior members on this forum...  Namaste to you... in ancient definition, my soul bows to yours with respect...

Ha! My couple of attempts to go tubeless on my MTen3 have been smashing failures, so skill or no skill, always something to learn!

• Like 3

@Marty Backe just so you know after all these years riding motorcycle, I still scrape a peg now and then ( high desert thing, air is thin up here)... don't have chicken strips on my bikes lol... I  change all my tires myself, don't trust anyone else to do it... if it fails it's on me... we have some nice twisties here in Utah...

• Like 1

@houseofjob my thought is tire with a tube would be more stiffer than without so wouldn't it require less air pressure than tubeless to have same stiffness?  I  just have hard time imagining 40 - 45 psi on this tire...

3 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

@houseofjob my thought is tire with a tube would be more stiffer than without so wouldn't it require less air pressure than tubeless to have same stiffness?  I  just have hard time imagining 40 - 45 psi on this tire...

Hmmmm.... all I know is, I usually like a very stiff tire, usually pump just under max, so with the MTen3 tire + tube combo, I kept pumping until it was the feel I needed, which ended up in 40-45 PSI territory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

@Marty Backe just so you know after all these years riding motorcycle, I still scrape a peg now and then ( high desert thing, air is thin up here)... don't have chicken strips on my bikes lol... I  change all my tires myself, don't trust anyone else to do it... if it fails it's on me... we have some nice twisties here in Utah...

I scrape every once in awhile, but the Mten3 seems particularly hard for me to scrape. I think it's because turning on this wheel tends to involve more of a twisting motion than a leaning motion.

2 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

By the way I'm 52 years young...

I wish I was 52 again :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I scrape every once in awhile, but the Mten3 seems particularly hard for me to scrape. I think it's because turning on this wheel tends to involve more of a twisting motion than a leaning motion.

I wish I was 52 again :)

We are Forever young! ?

• Like 3

Please excuse me for one off the topic post. I have a burning question to all knowing, the most wise, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.  Us mortorcylists have a saying "Four wheels move your body and two wheels move your Soul."  What say you to complete the statement.  Four wheels move your body and one wheel move _____."  Please fill in the blank.  I'm sure you will knock this question out of the park with an authority... Waiting for an answer, oh wise one...

• Like 1