EUC vs. Tesla

Evel_Knievel

Did you all catch this video?! 

Video is WAY too long so let me summarize:

EUC races Tesla across town (4.5 miles)

EUC rider is wearing flip flops and a pink short suit...?!

Rider falls after hitting a bump in the road but brushes it off

They both get there about the same time...(tesla technically wins)

Rider goes to the hospital and finds out he broke his wrist!!! Post surgery x-ray shows pins in wrist!!!

Draw your own lessons learned, but I take it as reminder to pad up whenever possible and take these machines seriously. Gravity and physics do not fail while our riding skills, and less often the wheels, do.

Like just about everyone who's done EUCs, he had to take a serious fall before he really respected the danger. I was really surprised he didn't have any scrapes or other visible injury after that fall. Every time I've fallen at speed (three times) I've scraped up my arms or legs. 

Was there first:)

Pretty well made video. Almost like a commercial, because the car guy pretends to not know much about the wheel, but made 2 other videos about them already.

Do you guys think this was an overlean fall, or simply due to the rider falling from the unexpected bump (aka it did not overpower the wheel)? Could a stronger wheel have saved this? Probably not, this was a nasty curb right in the middle of the road. Maybe the Monster, with the big tire, would have let him stay on.

39 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Was there first:)

Pretty well made video. Almost like a commercial, because the car guy pretends to not know much about the wheel, but made 2 other videos about them already.

Do you guys think this was an overlean fall, or simply due to the rider falling from the unexpected bump (aka it did not overpower the wheel)? Could a stronger wheel have saved this? Probably not, this was a nasty curb right in the middle of the road. Maybe the Monster, with the big tire, would have let him stay on.

Hard to tell since the camera wasn't pointed at him, but I would guess it was a combination of his paying too much attention to the camera so the bump took him completely by surprise plus his speed which didn't give him any time to recover from the jolt.  Not to mention the footgear.  

On 9/9/2017 at 9:54 AM, dmethvin said:

Like just about everyone who's done EUCs, he had to take a serious fall before he really respected the danger. I was really surprised he didn't have any scrapes or other visible injury after that fall. Every time I've fallen at speed (three times) I've scraped up my arms or legs. 

This is sooooo accurate!! I was just to cool for my own good. I knew to wear gear all along. I am both very skilled and cautious. And it STILL didnt matter!!!! And I say that with all due humility. That concrete and landing on my face before there was anytime to react made me realize that I do this for fun and enjoyment not to leave my daughter alone in this world. Learn from our mistakes people. For the people who love you and need you wear safety gear.:facepalm:

14 minutes ago, tadrossi said:

This is sooooo accurate!! I was just to cool for my own good.

That was a snazzy suit too! Did you do that during that car show elegance thing up there? It was magnificent Schadenfreude too Lol!

Glad you survived. Also glad that you were representing the V8 croud with so much style, except for the flip flops. They jinxed you for sure.:P  I had an Audi A8 race me off the line at a stoplight while on my V8. It was over in less than 2 seconds. 

13 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

That was a snazzy suit too! Did you do that during that car show elegance thing up there? It was magnificent Schadenfreude too Lol!

Glad you survived. Also glad that you were representing the V8 croud with so much style, except for the flip flops. They jinxed you for sure.:P  I had an Audi A8 race me off the line at a stoplight while on my V8. It was over in less than 2 seconds. 

I'm not the guy in the video. :efee612b4b: I was making a general comment. I hit my eye socket and broke my glasses. Nasty scrape on my forearm and sore but ok. I could easily have broken my orbital bone tho. I was on a gotway mcm4 and misjudged the height of a curb and hit my pedal and it took my momentum and slammed me on my face with it. Salute to all euc riders out there. :clap3: fun and be safe were the kool people:thumbup:

28 minutes ago, tadrossi said:

This is sooooo accurate!! I was just to cool for my own good. I knew to wear gear all along.

Glad your ok! Funny thing is pink suits and sun glasses will now be flying off the shelves for halloween. :)

Oh wow, terrible crash! Glad you are okay too. Had a nasty cutout fall on my KS14b due to a faulty battery and me not listening to the warning beeps. Busted up my wrist and badly bruised my elbow and lots of road rash. Was lucky I didnt bash my head on the road. Was only 16 mph, but I was wearing zero gear. :facepalm:

I now ride my V8 in this snazzy jacket from Fox racing along with wristguards and a helmet. As seen below... It feels cool too ;)

image.jpeg

On 9/9/2017 at 2:26 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Do you guys think this was an overlean fall, or simply due to the rider falling from the unexpected bump (aka it did not overpower the wheel)?

Well since I've wiped out three times I'll have you know I consider myself an expert so ... :whistling:

It was probably a combination of things. A simple overlean is when you're on flat road and just lean forward more than the wheel can take. Most likely the wheel was okay until he hit the bump and that sent his body forward without the wheel. If the bump/pothole was deeper he probably would have been knocked off the wheel and might have had a fighting chance of running it off, I've had that happen several times with no injury and kept standing, although at more like 10-12mph.

However, it sounds like he stayed on the wheel so his body was overleaning at that point. By the time the wheel made contact with the ground again there may not have been enough torque to bring him upright. Or, something even crazier happened to me once. The wheel did manage to catch up but my feet were out of position, I was almost just holding on with my toes. As a result I couldn't control the wheel very well. It overshot and I ended up on my butt! 

Archived