Jump to content

ACM16 1300W Pedal Dips After Mounting


Recommended Posts

I got my ACM16 last Friday and currently in NYC having fun riding it.

One problem is right after I mount the pedal dips down on me.  It is okay afterward while riding.

Is this a problem or normal?  I almost fell a few times right after mounting it.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I got my ACM16 last Friday and currently in NYC having fun riding it.

One problem is right after I mount the pedal dips down on me.  It is okay afterward while riding.

Is this a problem or normal?  I almost fell a few times right after mounting it.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

 

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

I have the 820W ACM and it seems to have its share of pedal dips and unusual leveling behavior -- It is not common, but unsettling when it occurs.   My theory, and I'm waiting for somebody to challenge me on this, Is that the 1500 W motor on the ACM has significant hysteresis effects which somehow the board is not able to handle ... it probably needs to deliver a lot more instantaneous current that it is currently able to do.  I would be interested in hearing from people like @Marty Backe @Rehab1@Jason McNeiland others who have a lot of knowledge of the inside of ACM's about where they think the electronics might use improvement or what's causing the dips and dodgy leveling.

The only pedal dipping occurs during very slow sharp turns. Otherwise there is no pedal dipping. Are you sure that you guys have the Ride Mode set to the hardest setting? Because in the soft setting there is a lot of pedal dipping.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Could you please tell me the exact app that I'm support to use?

I use google play and searched Gotway.  The highest option was called Sports.  I clicked it and it said send success.  It does not tell me what was actually set.

 

Tell me what phone platform you use.

Edit: Never mind - you use Android. Download the Gotway App that I installed in the Downloads section of the forum: 

Yes, it has a weird name, but that's what I use to control all of my wheels. When you change the ride mode you don't have to cycle the power on the wheel. But  the wheel has to be stationary when you change the setting. There's a big difference between the three modes so there will be no doubt in your mind after you switch modes.

Let me know if that solves your 'dipping' problem.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I got my ACM16 last Friday and currently in NYC having fun riding it.

One problem is right after I mount the pedal dips down on me.  It is okay afterward while riding.

Is this a problem or normal?  I almost fell a few times right after mounting it.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

 

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I would be interested in hearing from people like @Marty Backe @Rehab1@Jason McNeiland others who have a lot of knowledge of the inside of ACM's about where they think the electronics might use improvement or what's causing the dips and dodgy leveling.

 

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The only pedal dipping occurs during very slow sharp turns. Otherwise there is no pedal dipping. Are you sure that you guys have the Ride Mode set to the hardest setting? Because in the soft setting there is a lot of pedal dipping.

I agree with @Marty Backe. I do not experience a pedal dip either. I must admit the ACM 1300 and 1600 are top heavy so if you don't time your mount perfectly it will appear to dip but it is not an electronics issue. Try angling your ACM a few more degrees towards your mounted foot before you quick mount the other.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Tell me what phone platform you use.

Edit: Never mind - you use Android. Download the Gotway App that I installed in the Downloads section of the forum: 

Yes, it has a weird name, but that's what I use to control all of my wheels. When you change the ride mode you don't have to cycle the power on the wheel. But  the wheel has to be stationary when you change the setting. There's a big difference between the three modes so there will be no doubt in your mind after you switch modes.

Let me know if that solves your 'dipping' problem.

It looks like the same app I previously installed from Google Play Store.  It doesn't seem to tell which mode I've selected.  I definitely selected the Sports mode (the other two is Medium and Leisure).  I selected Sports and it said send success.

The app should have clearly show the settings I've selected but doesn't for Mode or Tilt Back Setting or any other.

I'll find out today if the problem still happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

RECALIBRATE AND IT GOES AWAY!

RECALIBRATE AND IT GOES AWAY!

RECALIBRATE AND IT GOES AWAY!

This is a common bug/"feature" (search for pedal dipping). It's annyoing and stupid and counterproductive. You can usually get rid of it by doing a recalibration where you make sure the wheel is level sideways (not tilted to its left/right - forward/backward tilt = pedal tilt can be as you want, but no sideways tilt). Check out this video (it may be a bit different in reality, but the principle is right) and do a crazy pedal tilt to confirm you know how to successfully recalibrate. You have good chances to get rid of this shit!!!

 

I tried this.  We'll see what happens today.

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok,  I've tried the recal and trying to set it to Sports mode again.

The dipping happened on the first try and another scrape as I fall and it dropped.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

EUC gods, please give me a break.

Edited by CaptainKBLS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Ok,  I've tried the recal and trying to set it to Sports mode again.

The dipping happened on the first try and another scrape as I fall and it dropped.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

EUC gods, please give me a break.

Try some more often....and be sure to do it correct.....dipping should go away if you have set it up perfectly to the middle while calibrating.

You can also try to ride your wheel the other way round (back to the front) and see if there is dipping, also!

When it is a dipping which is caused by calibrating, on the other direction it is not there (or dipping in the other direction).

 

At least a good calibration should reduce the dipping to an absolut Minimum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

It looks like the same app I previously installed from Google Play Store.  It doesn't seem to tell which mode I've selected.  I definitely selected the Sports mode (the other two is Medium and Leisure).  I selected Sports and it said send success.

The app should have clearly show the settings I've selected but doesn't for Mode or Tilt Back Setting or any other.

I'll find out today if the problem still happens.

Yes, the Gotway app sucks. It does not show any of the settings that you've made. Maybe sometime in 2019 they will fix that ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@CaptainKBLS, link to the Apps was in the 'Getting Started' message. Can you post a video of the behaviour on your ACM to assess the severity of the problem? 

Gotway App:
There's a new version of the Gotway App available from the official App store.
The App interface defaults to China as the telephone number's country code, you'll need to change this to 'United States' or 'Menga' & also enter the motor code, to be found in first page of the booklet.
Once you have the Wheel's speed unlocked with the 'Official' GW App, you probably want to rely on the third-party App called Darknessbot—currently IOS only.
 
For Android, you can download the .Apk file directly from this link.
 
The equivalent third-party tool on Android is called WheelLog, which is much more user friendly.
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

One example......This dip is not as bad.  I don't have videos of all of them.

Around 18 seconds into the video.

 

Good demonstration of the problem. I've experienced that once for sure, maybe a couple of times, over 2500 miles of riding my Gotway wheels. Under the same conditions.

Your daughter is cute on the huge wheel, and very capable :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you.

Just within this week, I've got this dip happening over a dozen times already.  I've kinda learned to cope with it but it isn't right or safe.  But how to fix it.

I just got back and trying to catch up.  But I think it happens more frequent after changing mode or calibration.  I'm record the number of times I make a change.  That's what I notice when playing around but will record this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Thank you.

Just within this week, I've got this dip happening over a dozen times already.  I've kinda learned to cope with it but it isn't right or safe.  But how to fix it.

I just got back and trying to catch up.  But I think it happens more frequent after changing mode or calibration.  I'm record the number of times I make a change.  That's what I notice when playing around but will record this time.

Interesting. Yes, please follow-up if you detect a pattern. I think mine happened after I re-calibrated, but I'm not positive. FWIW, I rarely change the modes or re-calibrate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This isn't the dip when turning, this is the dip when starting? Sorry, I confused this, the recalibration is supposed to work for turning dips, no idea about this. This forward dipping on a start ever only ever happened to 67V ACMs, right?

edit: What happens if you ride in reverse, does it dip then? You could try riding in reverse until it happens (or not).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This isn't the dip when turning, this is the dip when starting? Sorry, I confused this, the recalibration is supposed to work for turning dips, no idea about this. This forward dipping on a start ever only ever happened to 67V ACMs, right?

edit: What happens if you ride in reverse, does it dip then? You could try riding in reverse until it happens (or not).

I really don't consider his example a "dip". I would better describe it as a momentary lose of balance. The "dip" is a very smooth, purposeful response of the wheel while turning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never  had such a " dip " on my acm, so would think it is not normal.

Have mine on hard riding mode, almost from the beginning.

And calibrate it just a bit up from the middle, that what i like best.

My acm just dips a bit when turning, what i didn't like in the beginning.

Now i'm used to it, and don't see it as a problem.

But congratulations with you're ACM, it's a fine one i think ;)

Edited by gotmotion2016
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I really don't consider his example a "dip". I would better describe it as a momentary lose of balance. The "dip" is a very smooth, purposeful response of the wheel while turning.

Or momentary loss of power.  A little scary  Ninebot does that when demanding more than it can give, smooth is best, but it didn't look like he was forcing it.  Must be low battery behaviour.  But it is a Gotway,  they never have low battery, they have the biggest batteries.  :(:crying:

Edited by steve454
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In "soft" mode I have similar effect with my super18v2. Just change to more agressiv mode.

In soft mode I have to lean forward a lot befor (I almost dip over) it's speed up and then when it comes, then it comes all the power at once.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

 

Or momentary loss of power.  A little scary  Ninebot does that when demanding more than it can give, smooth is best, but it didn't look like he was forcing it.  Must be low battery behaviour.  But it is a Gotway,  they never have low battery, they have the biggest batteries.  :(:crying:

I'm pretty the battery was above 80%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...