New rider... Giant grin, sore feet!

Johnny5

Hello all!

New to the forum, and just got an InMotion V5F a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it!  It was my first time ever trying an electric unicycle, but saw someone zipping through the city once and I just had to have one :)

It didn't take long for me to get the hang of things, probably because I used to ride a Unicycle and I also slackline from time to time.  After my second 2 minute session I was whizzing around and it felt almost like flying... definitely hooked!

I just got back from a 5km ride, and by the end of it my feet were aching!  I'm sure it comes with time, and the more I ride the longer I'll be able to, but curious to hear how other people who have been riding awhile feel after longer rides.  Always so exhausting on the feet?  Or is it just my poor form to start?  I sometimes feel like I'm gripping with my feet and unable to relax them as I go... is this a normal feeling?

At any rate, glad to join the ranks of electric unicyclist, and look forward to joining the community :)

Cheers,

Stiff-soled shoes help but to really address the problem it requires much bigger footpads. The V5's are small, the KS14's are smaller still, the Gotway MSuper are quite large enough. Guess which one I don't have sore feet on?

Your body can adjust especially if you use stiff-soled boots.

I rode my V5F after parking it for a month. Do you find it feels like on a knife edge? I found it extremely difficult to keep my balance, fell off a half dozen times today.

Woo hoo! Congrats on the new wheel and welcome to the forum! There's a thread here on foot fatigue:

Check out that video from Simon he's got some good tips. In the end it's a combination of factors but finding the right shoes was the biggest help for me.

Congratulations on your new wheel and passion :D

Everyone seems to have their own comfort tolerance, but I think the pedal design also plays a big part. I can literally ride for hours (50+ km) on my Gotway wheels without discomfort. When riding my KS14C my feet will be hurting after maybe 30 minutes, but eventually it gets better.

It can really help if you move your feet while riding. This can including shifting most of your weight from one foot to the other, allowing you to stretch your feet.

3 hours ago, Johnny5 said:

Hello all!

New to the forum, and just got an InMotion V5F a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it!  It was my first time ever trying an electric unicycle, but saw someone zipping through the city once and I just had to have one :)

It didn't take long for me to get the hang of things, probably because I used to ride a Unicycle and I also slackline from time to time.  After my second 2 minute session I was whizzing around and it felt almost like flying... definitely hooked!

I just got back from a 5km ride, and by the end of it my feet were aching!  I'm sure it comes with time, and the more I ride the longer I'll be able to, but curious to hear how other people who have been riding awhile feel after longer rides.  Always so exhausting on the feet?  Or is it just my poor form to start?  I sometimes feel like I'm gripping with my feet and unable to relax them as I go... is this a normal feeling?

At any rate, glad to join the ranks of electric unicyclist, and look forward to joining the community :)

Cheers,

If you wear soft shoes you must make sure to place your feet forward on the pedals. Your anckle bone as close to the center of the pedals. Just one inch will be the difference of pain or comfort. When your feet are not forward, you are basically standing on your tip-toes the entire ride because you are leaning the wheel so slightly. 

The best solution is HARD-sole-SHOES. It's just magical. 

8 hours ago, Johnny5 said:

Hello all!

Cheers,

Welcome! Where are you from? The addiction will only get stronger ?

Thanks so much for all the tips!  

I'm going to head out again with some shoes with harder soles (hiking shoes), and really watch my foot position.  It makes sense now that I think about it, as even standing on flat ground and leaning too far forward is enough to exhaust the feet after about 20 minutes I'm sure!  Going to try and keep my feet a bit further forward and see how I do :)

@LanghamP When I first went for a ride it felt as though I was on a knife edge, but I've since let some air out of the tire and it's made an incredible difference in terms of comfort and ability to balance.  

Thanks for the link to the other thread @Michael Lutge!

Couple or three things I think are helpful.  Stiff soles are a must for longer rides.  I worked my way through various running shoes with little success.  Finally tried my Keen brand hiking boots, and they are clearly superior for riding.  They have a very stiff sole, and also come up high enough so as to protect the ankles from the dread pedal-bite.  The other critical thing is to keep your ankles flexing.  You can't just plant your feet with locked ankles and expect them to be happy.  Practice supporting most of your weight on one foot while you lift the heel of the other one and flex that foot forward.  And/or lift the toe of the unloaded foot and flex it backwards.  The key is to get some flex in those ankles.  Lastly, taking the occasional break to rest your feet isn't a mortal sin.  

I am also a new rider and was concerned about my "plantar fasciitis" . I have a significant amount of pain from my left foot having torn ligaments, with walking causing irritation and discomfort.

I was VERY HAPPY to find that riding the EUC made it easier and less painful to get around. I think I am just at around 50-100 km total right now, but can go about 2 miles before I notice any discomfort.

I agree with the statements above about moving around, taking breaks and making sure your feet are somewhat forward (very important to find a comfortable position for long rides). I also seem to find a slight bend/flex to my knees helps.

On 7/12/2017 at 7:43 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Ditto! This has been the longest two weeks of my life so far! And there is another one to go!

Been there didded that.  Good luck lasting out the week!  

Hopefully you can use the time to stock up on any remaining protective gear and maybe some foam tape to protect your new baby's beauty for a little while.

Archived