Gotway ACM 1600 Autopsy and Mods

@esaj I can unfortunately only give one thumbs up (one reputation)!

What you are doing here is beyond ......missing the english words :-) Rehab can be happy to have such a professional help!!!

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

What you are doing here is beyond ......missing the english words :-) Rehab can be happy to have such a professional help!!!

Thanks, but unfortunately I'm not a professional in electronics, far from it :P  I might try to reverse-engineer the board schematic, but like I said, there are no component designations printed on the board, so matching the schematic to the actual board would be difficult for anyone wanting to use it. Plus I should first finish the last small details of the Firewheel-board schematic and put it up into Github to get something off my infinitely growing to-do -list ;)

I do have a few things I still might try with the board (not to fix it, but to see and learn how the voltage step-downs work and why there are so many of them). Likely I'll strip at least some components off it afterwards, like the power mosfets, large electrolytic caps, maybe the through-hole and larger SMD switcher chips, although it might be a bit tricky without proper tools, but if I finally get around to order the hot-air station I've been meaning to for months, those and the gate-drivers.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:57 PM, KingSong69 said:

@esaj You are going way beyond the call of duty! :thumbup: The vast amount of deals, research and the testing you are conducting and editorializing is way beyond my expectations! 

I am a student when it comes to PCB diagnostics. You are providing me and the other EUC members following your research an education! We are all extremely grateful!

I started testing the bluetooth amp and speakers I purchased last week to evaluate the sound quality before installing it permanently in my ACM. The sound is not to shabby for a $20 investment. The downside is pairing the device with my phone each time I would turn on my wheel. I had intended to mount the amp and speakers inside the ACM but getting to the miniature pairing switch each time I would go for a ride would be difficult and frustrating. I thought about drilling a little hole in the side panel (quite @Marty Backe:)) that would allow me to insert a little probe to depress the switch. Nah....Flintstone stuff. I may just end up just attaching a miniature bluetooth speaker system with velcro on the side panel. It worked well with my V5F+.

50 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I started testing the bluetooth amp and speakers I purchased last week to evaluate the sound quality before installing it permanently in my ACM. The sound is not to shabby for a $20 investment. The downside is pairing the device with my phone each time I would turn on my wheel. I had intended to mount the amp and speakers inside the ACM but getting to the miniature pairing switch each time I would go for a ride would be difficult and frustrating. I thought about drilling a little hole in the side panel (quite @Marty Backe:)) that would allow me to insert a little probe to depress the switch. Nah....Flintstone stuff. I may just end up just attaching a miniature bluetooth speaker system with velcro on the side panel. It worked well with my V5F+.

I can't listen at work, but I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like.

As you're aware (maybe you're not?) with the KS14C, there's a Bluetooth button that you have to press to enable pairing. Maybe the other KingSong wheels too?

So I don't think it's a big deal to add a little switch to the ACM. Would it be difficult to bypass the onboard switch with a wired remote switch?

Don't give up man! After all the mods that you've done and waiting for parts, complete the last lap :clap3:

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

As you're aware (maybe you're not?) with the KS14C, there's a Bluetooth button that you have to press to enable pairing. Maybe the other KingSong wheels too?

I love my wife's KS14C and that little tiny button to activate the BT. It has a great sound! 

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So I don't think it's a big deal to add a little switch to the ACM. Would it be difficult to bypass the onboard switch with a wired remote switch?

That's an idea I pondered. What's another hole right?:)

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I love my wife's KS14C and that little tiny button to activate the BT. It has a great sound! 

That's an idea I pondered. What's another hole right?:)

BTW, I'm sure your experimental setup is not comparable, but since we both have the KS14C that's a reference point that we both have. What's the volume and sound quality of your bluetooth setup compared to the KS14C?

Just now, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I'm sure your experimental setup is not comparable, but since we both have the KS14C that's a reference point that we both have. What's the volume and sound quality of your bluetooth setup compared to the KS14C?

It would be hard to compare at this point being my test speakers were not properly mounted. I'm sure there is some acoustical sound projection value having the speakers properly installed in the KS shell compared to my Jerry ridged setup. I wonder what size speaker KS uses? 

Does the amplifier not go automatically into pairing mode on boot up?  Maybe have your phone ready, power it up, and test to see if it automatically connects.  According to this spec sheet it is supposed to do the auto pair thing unless it's a different model maybe?

https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/tda7492p

Is yours a Sanwu SW-HF11?

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Does the amplifier not go automatically into pairing mode on boot up?  Maybe have your phone ready, power it up, and test to see if it automatically connects.  According to this spec sheet it is supposed to do the auto pair thing unless it's a different model maybe?

https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/tda7492p

Not my particular model but it appears  the one you researched does. Thanks! I'm off to place an order! $11 bucks! Amazing! 

Oooh hold up a bit - I was just trying to see if your model can be adjusted through some setting or jumper or something or through BT to get it to autopair on boot.   There appears to be a few variants of these in eBay and Amazon.  You might want to check yours first before buying another?  That one I listed isn't powered by 5V either... I didn't check the whole specs!

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It would be hard to compare at this point being my test speakers were not properly mounted. I'm sure there is some acoustical sound projection value having the speakers properly installed in the KS shell compared to my Jerry ridged setup. I wonder what size speaker KS uses? 

You don't have to be scientific. Just give me gut-feel on how they compare. Close, very usable, or a weak substitute - something like that.

So when did you all of sudden get shy about opening wheels. Pry that KS14C apart  and checkout the speakers ;) Maybe you can see the brand of bluetooth module they us too.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You don't have to be scientific. Just give me gut-feel on how they compare. Close, very usable, or a weak substitute - something like that.

So when did you all of sudden get shy about opening wheels. Pry that KS14C apart  and checkout the speakers ;) Maybe you can see the brand of bluetooth module they us too.

Ok, I would say the KS is better! Less distortion at a higher volume.  Do you think I have a death-wish? Let me finish the ACM mods first then maybe a little peek under her hood!:P

Here's one with no buttons, but it's only 3W.  It probably pairs on power up?  I wonder if there's a way to get yours to automatically pair on boot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-3W-3W-2X3W-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Digital-Amplifier-Board-Module-/131786284940

One more but 6W:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-Stereo-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Board-Lithium-Battery-Powered-AMP-2X6W-DC5V-/322468977316

Maybe desoldering that power on/off/pairing momentary switch, soldering on some wires, and mounting the switch on the backside of the case with a small hole for the button might allow access.

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok, I would say the KS is better! Less distortion at a higher volume.  Do you think I have a death-wish? Let me finish the ACM mods first then maybe a little peek under her hood!:P

:laughbounce2:

29 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe desoldering that power on/off/pairing momentary switch, soldering on some wires, and mounting the switch on the backside of the case with a small hole for the button might allow access.

Thanks for the research! The above method would be best. Even the KS 14C has to paired each time at power up. Unfortunately all of these little additions are adding many hours to the rebuild time.  It might be prudent for me to just finish wiring the cooling fan and then put the ACM back together and go riding. 

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for the research! The above method would be best. Even the KS 14C has to paired each time at power up. Unfortunately all of these little additions are adding many hours to the rebuild time.  It might be prudent for me to just finish wiring the cooling fan and then put the ACM back together and go riding. 

Sleep on it. Never make grave decisions at night ;)

Here’s my external switch. This runs my EL lighting, but similar concept. I removed the switch in the EL Module and soldered wires on and ran to this switch.  You’d want a momentary press switch instead of locking like this one. 

Here is the switch I used. I’d recommend a larger one because this one is too small for my finger. I have to use a pinkie most of the time. 

Yakamoz 12mm 1/2" 3V Led Light Metal Self-locking Latching Push Button Switch Industrial Boat Car DIY Switch Black (Blue Ring) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4HE79U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jx0qzb1RYY7SE

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You coulD stick a magnetic switch inside and glue it to the inside of the case. Then with a small magnet you can activate the switch by touching the case. 

11 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Here’s my external switch. This runs my EL lighting, but similar concept. I removed the switch in the EL Module and soldered wires on and ran to this switch.  You’d want a momentary press switch instead of locking like this one. 

I love this community :cheers:

Well my GW ACM is back together and the cooling fan is working great but with all of the other issues going on with the GW motor wiring and firmware I am going to phase 2 and building a test stand with an elevated manual treadmill and simulated bumps. I also purchased a new temperature sensor data logger with 2 probes for both the motor wiring and mosfets.

@Marty Backe has been lucky he has not suffered more serious injuries with his recent mishaps even with his GW God intervention. I am not that lucky so I might as well keep on experimenting.

I was told today buy a GW supplier from China not to ride my ACM until the firmware is corrected. They recently supplied me with one of my new main boards.  I also received a new board from Jason. 

All of these tests and mods are getting expensive but hopefully worth it in the long  run! Safety First!

I think you enjoy tinkering with the wheel more than riding it:) When you put in a good board (annoying that all your new ones seem bad), you'll know quite well what you have with the wheel (be careful with constant high current situations, and that's it, no other problems).

But if you want to build that test stand, certainly a lot of people here would love the idea (me included). Wondering how hard it is to get the conditions for the oscillation bug to show.

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Well my GW ACM is back together and the cooling fan is working great but with all of the other issues going on with the GW motor wiring and firmware I am going to phase 2 and building a test stand with an elevated manual treadmill and simulated bumps. I also purchased a new temperature sensor data logger with 2 probes for both the motor wiring and mosfets.

@Marty Backe has been lucky he has not suffered more serious injuries with his recent mishaps even with his GW God intervention. I am not that lucky so I might as well keep on experimenting.

I was told today buy a GW supplier from China not to ride my ACM until the firmware is corrected. They recently supplied me with one of my new main boards.  I also received a new board from Jason. 

All of these tests and mods are getting expensive but hopefully worth it in the long  run! Safety First!

Your ACM is looking cool. Guess you decided not to continue with the bluetooth speaders?

Have you at least taken it for a tiny 6 foot test - it's basically working?

This should be  fascinating to watch, your experiments with a test stand :popcorn:

Archived