Gotway 14 "MCM" - Hardware Versions Change Log

I wanted to start a version control change log of the different versions of the Gotway 14 (aka MCM, mind control master) since there are now enough versions to have compatibility issues.

MCM - released ~ Summer 2014

• AMK (500w) motor. 
  • Clicking power button. 
  • No BT.  (BT board was not yet installed)
  • Non-adjustable warning beeps
  • Shell colors: solid white and black
  • Battery options: 170wh, 260wh, 340wh, 680wh
  • Tire type 1

MCM2 - released ~ December 2014

• AMK (500w) motor.
  • Clicking power button.
  • BT. 
  • Non-adjustable warning beeps
  • Shell colors: solid white, solid black, carbon black, solid red
  • Battery options: 170wh, 260wh, 340wh, 680wh
  • Tire type 1 and 2

MCM2s - released ~ April 2015

• AMK (500w) motor.
  • Momentary power button. 
  • BT.
  • Adjustable warning beeps (first 2 stages)
  • Shell colors: solid white and carbon black
  • Battery options: 260wh, 340wh, 680wh
  • Tire type 2

MCM2s+ released ~ June 2015

• HB (550w) motor. 
  • BT. 
  • Tire type 2

MCM2s - released ~ April 2015

• AMK motor.
  • BT.
  • Tire type 2

MCM2s+ released ~ June 2015

• HB motor. 
  • BT. 
  • Tire type 2

what does AMK and HB (motor) stand for? and the difference in tire types?

AMK is the 500w motor.  The HB is supposed to be a stronger motor, like 550w.  But all the GW14 owners who have tried both say that they feel the same.  The HB motor has a higher theoretical top speed. 

Under no load, AMK goes up to 31kmh before cut out, while the HB goes up to 37kmh before cut out.  But under a 80kg-90kg average weight load, the differences narrow significantly.  Not sure if this is the motor or a combination between the control board, program, and motor, most likely the latter. 

AMK is the 500w motor.  The HB is supposed to be a stronger motor, like 550w.  But all the GW14 owners who have tried both say that they feel the same.  The HB motor has a higher theoretical top speed. 

Under no load, AMK goes up to 31kmh before cut out, while the HB goes up to 37kmh before cut out.  But under a 80kg-90kg average weight load, the differences narrow significantly.  Not sure if this is the motor or a combination between the control board, program, and motor, most likely the latter. 

For me, under no load, both my MCM2 (amk) and my MCM2s+ (hb) cuts at 39 km/h.  I have also done acceleration tests from standstill to a certain distance and they appear to be the same for both with 70 kg load.

If you ordered from Kevin it will have the HB motor, they are only being supplied to Kevin and Thailand according to Jane Mo. Be aware though that the control boards are definately different and not interchangable between the HB and the AMK motor versions of the MCMV2S.

I know this because I now have an AMK control board coming which is no use to me.

Thanks a lot for this info about version changes !

As a newbie looking around for a first EU and interested in gotway or ninebot models, I find it really difficult to have an overview about the existing models and their life cycle.

i am myself holding my purchase since Donald Lin told me that an iOS version of the app is coming soon. Since I don't want to buy an extra android smartphone. I will wait therefore a little bit, especially as now, thanks to this post, I know that Gotway comes up frequently with new upgraded models.

Let's see ...

• 3 weeks later...

If you ordered from Kevin it will have the HB motor, they are only being supplied to Kevin and Thailand according to Jane Mo. Be aware though that the control boards are definately different and not interchangable between the HB and the AMK motor versions of the MCMV2S.

I know this because I now have an AMK control board coming which is no use to me.

i received the gotway and on the rim it says 14AMK followed by a series of numbers, so that means Kevin Lee sent me the AMK motor version

That's surprising. You'll have to ask Kevin why but the performance diference isn't that noticable by all accounts it's just that they do use different control boards.

Good news is that if you ever need a replacement board I've got one hanging around unused.

There is no real noticeable (real-world) difference between the AMK and the HB versions based on feedback from the members who have both.  You're in good shape.  Enjoy the wheel.. 

Just out of curiosity, are the "AMK"-motors made by Daao / XINAOMA? At least it seems they use the "AMK"-designation for their motors, my Firewheel has a XINAOMA logo in the motor with marking A16AMK27C1412048393. I've understood that DAAO and XINAOMA are the same company, but the XINAOMA-brand is used internationally.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone here happen to know the real top speed of the Gotway MCM4 HS with say a 70kg person and fully inflated tires? The app speed can apparently reach 40 km/s under the right circumstances, but has anyone done any further testing by other means? I would test this myself with the GPS on my phone, but I have to wait a couple days for the battery packs to arrive. I have a MCM3 that had a 260WH battery, and I could get 30 km/s with it.

18 minutes ago, WakefulTraveller said:

Does anyone here happen to know the real top speed of the Gotway MCM4 HS with say a 70kg person and fully inflated tires? The app speed can apparently reach 40 km/s under the right circumstances, but has anyone done any further testing by other means? I would test this myself with the GPS on my phone, but I have to wait a couple days for the battery packs to arrive. I have a MCM3 that had a 260WH battery, and I could get 30 km/s with it.

Can't say about the speeds, but 30km/s... Congratulations on reaching Mach 100 & going beyond High Hypersonic speed-range ;)

@Philfree I watched that video before, but I'm not 100% certain that the motor is the same. The motor does say HS, though. I was told by @Jane Mo that the motors are not the same. I don't know what to believe.

MCM3 motor is labeled: 60V 151101118 HB C26 HS

MCM4 motor is labeled: 60V 160100508 HB C26 HS

Regardless, the MCM4 will probably be faster simply because of the additional battery pack to provide more power.

19 minutes ago, Philfree said:

Watch this video of an Urban 340 (gotway mcm3) with the motor of the mcm4 hs : maximum speed before cutoff 36 km/h (gps) certainly 40 km/h on the app.

Sounds similar as with MCM2s & MSuper V2, both are said to over-estimate the speed by about 10%.

6 minutes ago, WakefulTraveller said:

@Philfree I watched that video before, but I'm not 100% certain that the motor is the same. The motor does say HS, though. I was told by @Jane Mo that the motors are not the same. I don't know what to believe.

MCM3 motor is labeled: 60V 151101118 HB C26 HS

MCM4 motor is labeled: 60V 160100508 HB C26 HS

The first numbers after 60V seem to be manufacturing dates (1511 = November 2015, 1601 = January 2016, rest of the number is probably a running serial number for the motors for that month). But really just guessing.

6 minutes ago, WakefulTraveller said:

Regardless, the MCM4 will probably be faster simply because of the additional battery pack to provide more power.

Umm, no. If the motor is the same, the maximum speed (RPM) depends on voltage. The extra power from the batteries does affect torque (and thus, also acceleration) though.

38 minutes ago, esaj said:

The first numbers after 60V seem to be manufacturing dates (1511 = November 2015, 1601 = January 2016, rest of the number is probably a running serial number for the motors for that month). But really just guessing.

Wow! It's cool that you noticed that.

38 minutes ago, esaj said:

Umm, no. If the motor is the same, the maximum speed (RPM) depends on voltage. The extra power from the batteries does affect torque (and thus, also acceleration) though.

I was going to say voltage, but I wasn't certain that was correct term to use. I elected to go with the layman's usage of the word "power" instead.

Anyways.

The motor appears to be rated at 60V, and I believe that the 260wh battery pack can sustain that much for a short while when fully charged. Yet I see no reason for the motor to not be able to make use of the additional voltage that two battery packs can supply when going at full tilt.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

Sounds similar as with MCM2s & MSuper V2, both are said to over-estimate the speed by about 10%.

Motor Is The Same....

mcm3 (or mcm4"Urban" called in France) Is mcm4 HS Motor in mcm2 "clothes", smaller Batterie and "oder" Vertical board..

confirmed by about 3 resellers....technicans...and so on and so on.....a discussion which has been Done sometimes....

• 1 month later...
On 2016/5/16 at 9:25 AM, KingSong69 said:

Motor Is The Same....

mcm3 (or mcm4"Urban" called in France) Is mcm4 HS Motor in mcm2 "clothes", smaller Batterie and "oder" Vertical board..

confirmed by about 3 resellers....technicans...and so on and so on.....a discussion which has been Done sometimes....

MCM3 use the same motor of MCM4 normal version, not HS version 

I have put my got way MCM4 HS through hell and I haven't had any issues. With a 680WH battery... range isn't an issue. I can at least get 3 hours of agreessive city riding and still have a 40% battery life. The Battery management software is best of the best.  At 30% it will not let me ride aggressive  and it'll be constantly to remind me that the battery is that 30%. I stand behind Gotway all the way. 

IMG_20160529_163030.jpg

FB_IMG_1463355486539.jpg

Archived