Stolen euc

Ronko

Had my euc STOLEN last night! Left my Inmotion V5f+ in the boot of my car the day after getting it and someone broke into it and stole it. It happened in London around the Chelsea area.

Please keep an eye out for a black Inmotion V5f+ on sale in the UK.

Also, if the guy manages to figure out what it is and how to use it, he's going to need to get hold of a charger for it so any retailers out there, please watch out for someone trying to order an Inmotion charger.

Sorry to hear about the theft!

Considering most phones have a GPS chip inside, you would think they could integrate GPS onto EUC controller boards to act as a LoJack / GPS finder for the owner to track the wheel down.  

I thought Chelsea was more a more posh, upscale area.  Some credit cards have theft coverage up to 90 days so you could look into that.

I'm sorry to hear that @KevinUR - any chance this could be covered by your car or general house insurance? I was actually thinking about having the EUC locked to the body of the car in the trunk using some more resilient chain / bike lock to avoid cases like this would be an extra protection step.

On 9/11/2016 at 9:44 AM, KevinUR said:

Had my euc STOLEN last night! Left my Inmotion V5f+ in the boot of my car the day after getting it...

Nasty feeling...sorry to hear about the theft.

The wheel should have a unique number. When using the app (if the phone is online) and especially when a firmware update is done, the manufacturer (app owner) should be able to see the approximate location of that particular wheel...I'm just considering the tracking probabilities.

Sorry to hear... Didn't think people would steal EU's...... It's heavy.... and you kinda have to know how to ride one...... Thief had a lot of time on their hands....either that or they knew what they were after.... But yes that person would need a charger.......

They manufacturers need to include a theft mode... I know Ninebot has one but it's kinda useless since turning off the Ninebot disengages the lock.... or does it... gotta check..

1 minute ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Sorry to hear... Didn't think people would steal EU's...... It's heavy.... and you kinda have to know how to ride one...... Thief had a lot of time on their hands....either that or they knew what they were after.... But yes that person would need a charger.......

They manufacturers need to include a theft mode... I know Ninebot has one but it's kinda useless since turning off the Ninebot disengages the lock.... or does it... gotta check..

Seems like if you engage the lock mode - you cant shut off the Ninebot- but you cant move it either...Which i guess is a good thing. Battery has to run out before you can use it.... Still kinda useless unless it remembers the settings after charging....

21 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

There are some surprisingly rough schools around there.

Hey, what do ya mean - my wife went to school in Chelsea.

Hmmmm......... Now I come to think about it...........

Seriously @KevinUR, I'll keep an I open for it, let's hope they try to buy the charger from @Jason McNeil

43 minutes ago, Keith said:

Hey, what do ya mean - my wife went to school in Chelsea.

Hmmmm......... Now I come to think about it...........

Seriously @KevinUR, I'll keep an I open for it, let's hope they try to buy the charger from @Jason McNeil

Hahaha no offence Keith! Prob not one of the ones your other half went to :) 

Might be a new school or something but I always see (and normally I don't like this word) chavvy kids running around sloane avenue/kings road....

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Out of your boot? In CHELSEA?

Sounds like the work of someone who knew it was there. 

There are some surprisingly rough schools around there.....i can imagine it being a couple of kids

Agreed sounds like somebody who already knew it was there or saw you put it there...

35 minutes ago, Boxer Rebellion said:

Prompts an opportunity for InMotion to add a function in their app. much like a "locator app" when you lose your cell-phone. There got to be someone smart enough to create this.

Good idea, it should be reasonable easy to implement, at least if someone else connects the Wheel to you mobile phone after registering it.

In addition to a locator app, I wonder if an additional function can be added...such as giving the original owner the ability to shut down the Wheel.  This is Powerful stuff at a push of a button.

imagine the stolen EUC in use, app allows you to see, and track if it is "in-Motion" or traveling,...and the original owner logs in and Shut down the wheel!

this could be devastating to the person riding the stolen wheel.

4 minutes ago, Boxer Rebellion said:

In addition to a locator app, I wonder if an additional function can be added...such as giving the original owner the ability to shut down the Wheel.  This is Powerful stuff at a push of a button.

imagine the stolen EUC in use, app allows you to see, and track if it is "in-Motion" or traveling,...and the original owner logs in and Shut down the wheel!

this could be devastating to the person riding the stolen wheel.

Sort of like the "Burglar Protection" of James Bonds' car in "The Spy who loved me.

https://youtu.be/OmpBYcM06Sk

:o

Q~

So on Monday night me and a friend where outside a bar in the area where my wheel got stolen, and we see a guy in the distance trying to ride an euc.  I recognise the rear lights of the V5 and realise it was my euc! I tell my friend to go towards him to try and stop him to 'ask him a few questions', (I couldn't run as I'm recovering from a broken femur, non euc related).  As soon as my friend gets to him the guy tries to brush him off, he picks up the wheel and starts to walk away.  In the meantime I call the police to come to me as quickly as they can.  The guy with my wheel gets on his phone and calls his friends to come and assist him, and he runs into a council estate. We decide not to follow him further as it's not worth risking to get stabbed over it.

The police show up after 20 minutes, take a statement, and email me today telling me they will not be looking into this issue any further as there is nothing they can do.

Doubt I'll be seeing him on it again as he's probably drained the battery on it already, so think it's time to get a new one, and this time I'll make sure to never leave it in my car again!

20 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Out of your boot? In CHELSEA?

Sounds like the work of someone who knew it was there. 

The police said there are kids that hang around in the area with key signal jammers, and try to steal what they can from cars. Seems like they got lucky this time!

38 minutes ago, KevinUR said:

So on Monday night me and a friend where outside a bar in the area where my wheel got stolen, and we see a guy in the distance trying to ride an euc.  I recognise the rear lights of the V5 and realise it was my euc! I tell my friend to go towards him to try and stop him to 'ask him a few questions', (I couldn't run as I'm recovering from a broken femur, non euc related).  As soon as my friend gets to him the guy tries to brush him off, he picks up the wheel and starts to walk away.  In the meantime I call the police to come to me as quickly as they can.  The guy with my wheel gets on his phone and calls his friends to come and assist him, and he runs into a council estate. We decide not to follow him further as it's not worth risking to get stabbed over it.

The police show up after 20 minutes, take a statement, and email me today telling me they will not be looking into this issue any further as there is nothing they can do.

Doubt I'll be seeing him on it again as he's probably drained the battery on it already, so think it's time to get a new one, and this time I'll make sure to never leave it in my car again!

The police said there are kids that hang around in the area with key signal jammers, and try to steal what they can from cars. Seems like they got lucky this time!

So sorry to hear that. Utter scum.

Good to meet you last night!

1 hour ago, Questor said:

They do make "Luggage Trackers" that allow you to see where your luggage is.  They also have a feature where it alerts you if your luggage is taken out of bluetooth range.

https://www.smart-unit.net/

Perhaps a device like this could be put inside an EUC?

Q~

Nah - those have only few meters rage. You'd need a full pledged GPS module with GSM card to be able to trace it at distance.

Just now, HEC said:

Nah - those have only few meters rage. You'd need a full pledged GPS module with GSM card to be able to trace it at distance.

The device I'm referring to uses cell phone towers to locate the tracker and displays the location on your cell phone.

So you could be in California, and see that the tracker is in Florida.

Q~

6 minutes ago, Questor said:

The device I'm referring to uses cell phone towers to locate the tracker and displays the location on your cell phone.

So you could be in California, and see that the tracker is in Florida.

Q~

Ah OK - got confused by the Bluetooth range comment ;) Anyway those are pretty much unusable to trace anything if the location is based purely on mobile network based station as you'll hardly ever locate anything. Even in high density city areas it will be in range of several tens to hundreds of metres and anywhere else much more :( Good quality GPS trackers with integrated mobile module are very cheap now and if configured properly hey base their location on combination of both GPS and Mobile networks. If I'd need to leave my wheel anywhere out of my sight regularly I'd definitely look into installing one. But as @KevinUR's experience shows even locating at least approximately your property is pointless if the police is useless and will not act :( Sadly British police if a typical example of such incompetence.

Archived