Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherfucker

cebo

Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherfucker, I thought, when UPS brought me my new MSuperV3 and I was able to ride it the first time. What a fun factory Gotway has built. The wheel is super fast with high driving dynamics. A comparison with my old Ninebot is similar to compare rocket shoes and slippers. The maximum speed was about 42 km/h up to now.If the V3 would not be so loud, it would become my perfect wheel. Unfortunately, there is a disturbing high-frequency beep. This beep noise is so loud, that animals like horses and dogs are afraid of it. This can be dangerous under certain circumstances. For example, when I drive in our horse stable, the horses become nervous. In the stable I have to take the Ninebot therefor. Hmm …  what a crap?I opened the side panel of the wheel, looking fort the PCB. Does one knows what is causing the noise?

Cebo

y3m82PCafNP2ElGamRE9gxRgcXT2GWZurBJDrBKI

y3mPROW2E7XK7dkpeZVMywZqcp6scB14MNt_DQKZ

Presumably its a "torque ripple" caused by the motor driver/firmware - i.e. the motor vibrates with the PWM frequency.

after searching in different papers quite some time ago (which i maybe posted here?) imho this was the most probable cause for it.

so unfortionately there should be absolutely nothing you can do about it.

On September 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM, cebo said:

Unfortunately, there is a disturbing high-frequency beep. This beep noise is so loud, that animals like horses and dogs are afraid of it. This can be dangerous under certain circumstances.

Are you talking about the beep alarms or the motor frequency?

If the beeps, you could possibly insert an attenuator between your beeper & board to decrease the volume, as you cannot turn the top alarms off (you could also detach it, but I personally wouldn't rely solely on the new Gotway tiltback to avoid top speed cutout).

If the motor frequency, I believe all brushless motors emit a frequency, even the Ninebot One; it's just that Ninebot tunes their's above the range of human hearing.

13 minutes ago, jer said:

This is a big issue, @ Gotway can you confirm one way or another that the V3  sends dogs etc crazy.

that has nothing to do with Gotway!

KS16 and 18 are also very loud "thrilling"...some say "tinitus" noise!

that does not make dogs crazy in general! Just some did not like it, yeah, true!

bit i would say its one of ten dogs who recognize you :-) and if they are well trained, they do nothing!

my dog loves the sound of my KS, when he hears it, he knows we go out :-) and he is happy like hell !!!

It's a bit problematic to use high PWM-frequencies, the noise will go away (or actually, it becomes too high for human hearing somewhere around and above 20kHz), but the mosfets will start to heat up more due to switching losses...

10 hours ago, esaj said:

It's a bit problematic to use high PWM-frequencies, the noise will go away (or actually, it becomes too high for human hearing somewhere around and above 20kHz), but the mosfets will start to heat up more due to switching losses...

Maybe we could have a firmware setting where it is possible to set the frequency.  Not sure if there is a frequency that is better for noise than others.  The ninebot is very quiet and I am not aware of causing any pets or animals issues.

Jer

Archived