V5F+ What's the best "Pedal Horizontal Adjustment" setting?

Adam Lux

I'm the proud owner of a new V5F+ and I see that you can change the pedal position by using the "Pedal Horizontal Adjustment"  setting in the app.

I think it defaults to -2.2°  

My question is, what is the best setting? Is it not best to have it totally flat? Is there a best setting for speed or control? Or is it simply personal preference or comfort?

I think this differs a little from wheel to wheel (the sensor might not be mounted perfectly, hence the default level might be different on every wheel?). I put it to 0.0° it seems to tilt backwards. When you go over bumps or cracks at higher speed you might want a flat level as otherwise your feet can slide forward or backward if your feet lift off a little. I use -3.0° it feels good!

Super, thanks guys that really helps. -3 seems a popular choice although strangly for me when I hit the default button it now always goes to -2.2 for me. But I guess I need to experiment a little, especially off-road!

Cheers everyone ?

19 minutes ago, Adam Lux said:

Super, thanks guys that really helps. -3 seems a popular choice although strangly for me when I hit the default button it now always goes to -2.2 for me. But I guess I need to experiment a little, especially off-road!

Cheers everyone ?

Yeah....you have to find what is good for you...it is mostly simply personal preference or comfort!

Some like it, that the back of the pedal is a Little bit lower...it is easier to accelerate, and if you accelerate hard, then you still have a flat Position!

But some People get the fealing of slippping to the back with this Position...so just depends on you!

• 2 months later...

Greetings from Kansas. I just received my first EUC today (V5F+) but I don't see on the Inmotion App any place to change pedal settings. Am I using the wrong App? It connects for me, but I don't seem to see all of the features I've been reading around on this forum. Thanks for any help!

On 8/30/2016 at 7:23 AM, Adam Lux said:

Cheers everyone ?

Welcome Adam! Yes, mine is set at - 3 as well. You deserve a reputation! :thumbup:

On 8/28/2016 at 2:42 PM, Adam Lux said:

My question is, what is the best setting? Is it not best to have it totally flat? Is there a best setting for speed or control? Or is it simply personal preference or comfort?

FYI, not everyone's V5 will have the same number settings, as you can re-calibrate using the "Turning and Forward Adjustment" (unit needs to be handle disengaged and resting on the side). 

Relatively speaking, as tiltback angle on the V5 is more wide sweeping than other EUCs, I like to calibrate with the pedals on the edge of leaning forward/down, so that when tiltback kicks in, the tiltback angle is not as severe.

But yes, it really is a matter of personal rider comfort.

1 hour ago, Chickenhoss said:

Greetings from Kansas. I just received my first EUC today (V5F+) but I don't see on the Inmotion App any place to change pedal settings. Am I using the wrong App? It connects for me, but I don't seem to see all of the features I've been reading around on this forum. Thanks for any help!

In the current v6.0.2 InMotion Bluetooth app, it's the bottom mid-right SCV tab > then anywhere on the page, side swipe the page left, the SCV correction (ie. pedal settings) will be towards the bottom scroll. Also, don't forget to register the wheel so you can do firmware upgrades (bottom Me tab > top right settings cog > Binding Vehicle > then you can type or scan in the bar code (top of the V5)) 

12 hours ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, not everyone's V5 will have the same number settings, as you can re-calibrate using the "Turning and Forward Adjustment" (unit needs to be handle disengaged and resting on the side). 

Relatively speaking, as tiltback angle on the V5 is more wide sweeping than other EUCs, I like to calibrate with the pedals on the edge of leaning forward/down, so that when tiltback kicks in, the tiltback angle is not as severe.

But yes, it really is a matter of personal rider comfort.

In the current v6.0.2 InMotion Bluetooth app, it's the bottom mid-right SCV tab > then anywhere on the page, side swipe the page left, the SCV correction (ie. pedal settings) will be towards the bottom scroll. Also, don't forget to register the wheel so you can do firmware upgrades (bottom Me tab > top right settings cog > Binding Vehicle > then you can type or scan in the bar code (top of the V5)) 

Thanks - I found it and adjusted. Much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I am from germany so I bought my V5F within the EU. It came with default -1,5.

After the first riding experiences I come to the conclusion, that there is no "one right adjustment" for the horizontal pedal setting.

IMHO it depends on:
1. What you want to do with your EUC (curvy slamlom rides, jumping from the curbs, just gliding etc.) 
2. How far is your trip you want to ride (it is more confortable to stand relaxed on your noun rather on your forefoot)
3. Last but not least if your shoes are heeled :-)

So, if I start a ride and I feel unconfortable, I adjust the peddal settings to the actual situation to feel fine again.

One word to the V5F:
It is amazing how precicley the unit movements and the power adjustment could be controlled. Because it´s my first EUC,
We got a skater park here and I rode the V5F battery down to 7% without any loss of power.

I don´t know other ones, but inmotion has done a very good job with this device, I think.

Nice week everyone,

Olli

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2016 at 9:10 AM, Ollinase said:

Hi everybody,

I am from germany so I bought my V5F within the EU. It came with default -1,5.

After the first riding experiences I come to the conclusion, that there is no "one right adjustment" for the horizontal pedal setting.

IMHO it depends on:
1. What you want to do with your EUC (curvy slamlom rides, jumping from the curbs, just gliding etc.) 
2. How far is your trip you want to ride (it is more confortable to stand relaxed on your noun rather on your forefoot)
3. Last but not least if your shoes are heeled :-)

So, if I start a ride and I feel unconfortable, I adjust the peddal settings to the actual situation to feel fine again.

One word to the V5F:
It is amazing how precicley the unit movements and the power adjustment could be controlled. Because it´s my first EUC,
We got a skater park here and I rode the V5F battery down to 7% without any loss of power.

I don´t know other ones, but inmotion has done a very good job with this device, I think.

Nice week everyone,

Olli

yeah it's a fantastic bit of kit. They've taken their time with the 'little things.' Very apple-esque.

(no, that wasn't an android-fanboy invitation.....:)

• 2 months later...

I just tested and rode it like 2-3 miles.  This is my 3 wheel. From 9botoneE + experience this one is actually great and refined. 

On my Ninebot I set the settings for ride mode to SOFT. I felt INMOTION a bit sporty to me and I could not figure out where to adjust settings. 

My horizontal pedal adjustment was at -1.2 and I'm good with that. Under Forward and Turn adjustment it didn't give any options but said "Adjusted ".

So my question is , is there a way to adjust ride quality from soft to sport like in Ninebot?

my firmware is 1.3.506

Thanks

1 hour ago, Planetpapi said:

ISo my question is , is there a way to adjust ride quality from soft to sport like in Ninebot?

Nope.

(FWIW seems Ninebot has started doing the same, as evidenced by the inability to adjust ride hardness on the 14" S1/S2/A1/A1+)

On 11/10/2016 at 8:54 PM, houseofjob said:

So what exactly does "Turning and Forward Adjustment" do?

I just got my V5F+ this week and managed to get a couple of miles in today. I learned on my kids IPS a130 and had a really hard time getting used to the V5F+. It felt like my feet were tilted in and I found it hard to find a good, comfortable and balanced position. At speed, every little road imperfection ended in a non-proportionate wobble.

The Horizontal default on mine is -1.3, but the Turning and Forward Adjustment kept failing. Now I know why. I need to lay it on its side when I do that.

4 hours ago, flvraptor said:

So what exactly does "Turning and Forward Adjustment" do?

It resets the leveling range. For example, at one point, my V5 was still not level even at -8. Utilizing the "Turning and Forward Adjustment" fixed this.

9 hours ago, flvraptor said:

At speed, every little road imperfection ended in a non-proportionate wobble

It's possible your feet are too far back.  Try moving your feet forward. But just so your weight  is slightly ahead of the axle.

Here is my understanding of it, if you don't mind reading a little:

The center of effort of your body, during normal riding, can be assumed to drive through a single line, somewhere around the middle of your foot.  If this "line" is behind the axle, you have set up an adverse triangular relationship.  In other words, as your tire impacts an obstacle, a rearward force is applied to the wheel.  This force is applied to everything else via the axle, as effectively everything that isn't rotating, is connected to the axle directly.  As this force is trying to push everything backwards, via the axle, there is a risk that some sideways force will be introduced.  Your body is still moving forward, slightly faster now, than the wheel, and that force is behind the axle of the wheel.  You feel the wheel move sideways, and you try to counter it,  if your center of effort is behind the axle, by effectively pushing the wheel straight again, on the side that is moving backwards.  But you can't always meet force X with force X, so the wheel goes the other way, or not far enough back to center, depending on if it was X-1 or X+1. If it's the latter, you have cycle 1 of a wobble, "rinse and repeat". The further you are behind the axle, the more exaggerated the wobble is/becomes.

Think of trying to PUSH a castor wheel, where the mounting shaft of the wheel is the center of force of your body, and the axle of the wheel is in front..  You can't push a castor wheel very far before it wants to turn.  Think of a shopping trolley, if that helps you visualise it.  But, when the center of force is INFRONT of the axle of the wheel,  a natural equilibrium takes place, whereby the wheel axle  trails the rider's center of force, and the wheel is DRAGGED back into line, behind the center of force. When the wheel hits an obstacle, in this configuration, the forward momentum applied by the apparatus (shopping trolley or EUC rider) naturally PULLS the wheel straight.  So even if there was a hiccup, it's over in a split second, with no driver correction required; as physics is providing the correction, automatically.

now, before some smart ass goes "yeah but...".  If you get too far in front of the axle, you have created A DIFFERENT adverse triangle, only this time it rears it's ugly head under acceleration, not bump induced deceleration.  Now you have a negative castor effect where the axle of the wheel is forcing fowards, from behind the rider's center of force, and might cause a sideways rotation, if the rider's weight isn't perfectly centered, or if the tire hits an uneven obstacle.

so, to cut a short story long; just slightly ahead of the axle is the sweet spot.  Of course, shifting your weight during manoeuvres changes all that, but one gets used to that, with time, and miles, and one learns to compensate, or face plant, your choice.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Here is my understanding of it, if you don't mind reading a little:

Really appreciate the time people in this forum take to give good explanations of what's going on in order to help a newbie out. 

I will I'll definitely try that. It helps that the V5 has a raised logo on the pedal to easily tell where the center is. 

Loved the InMotion experience. Smooth, refined, confidence building. lighter than Ninebot and loved the handle. I just used the handle and pushed it around parking lot for the sake of it because I can! Felt good not carrying it. Had hard time adjusting it for first few minutes coming from NineBot. Strangely I didn't feel it is a 14 inch wheel or it has higher pedals. Felt very normal during the rides. 

I'm little concerned about the durability of that button under the handle that disengages the motor when you lift the wheel. So many times it gets pressed. Hope it last the life time of the wheel. Of all the features, I still liked the Ninebot shape and design but not the ride.

So now my go to wheel is InMotionV5F+...Anyone wants my Ninebot One + for $499?

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

4 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Loved the InMotion experience. Smooth, refined, confidence building. lighter than Ninebot and loved the handle. I just used the handle and pushed it around parking lot for the sake of it because I can! Felt good not carrying it. Had hard time adjusting it for first few minutes coming from NineBot. Strangely I didn't feel it is a 14 inch wheel or it has higher pedals. Felt very normal during the rides. 

I'm little concerned about the durability of that button under the handle that disengages the motor when you lift the wheel. So many times it gets pressed. Hope it last the life time of the wheel. Of all the features, I still liked the Ninebot shape and design but not the ride.

So now my go to wheel is InMotionV5F+...Anyone wants my Ninebot One + for $499?

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

That's the first side by side comparison I've seen, now I see why people have written that the Inmotion, even though it has a 14 inch tire, doesn't feel like a smaller wheel than a Ninebot.  It actually looks a little taller.    And you can clearly see that the Inmotion pedals are considerably higher.  Also, with the pedals down, the Inmotion looks a little more serious.  The Ninebot has kind of a goofy smile look to it.  Thanks for posting these photos.

Did anyone try the maximum range test on plain roads ( no hills) with inMotionV5F+? Do we get 18 miles at least?

I have V5F+ but does this wheel have 460 wh battery capacity? If that is true then we should get around 30 miles range according to Jason's comparison chart. Any thoughts?

Archived