Tips on working with batteries

esaj

You could try taking it to Battery World or any custom battery store near you to see if they can take a crack at it.  They likely have the spot welding machine and experience at making custom battery packs so they might be able to find out if you have a bad cell and swap it out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spikes2020 said:

Anyone here have any advice in replacing a bad cell in a battery pack. I believe one of the cells in my battery pack is bad and thus i get a cut off way sooner than i should. I need some advice in locating it and replacing it.

No experience with replacing cells, but the steps for locating a bad cell (or cells) should be something like:

• Open up the pack
  • If your BMS is the kind that has the spots for the battery tabs, you can measure there
    • use DC-voltage measurement with range >4.2V, measure between the tabs on the BMS of the SAME cell (that way you should get the voltage reading of single cell, or single set of paralleled cells behind same BMS)
  • If the cells are directly linked together by tabs (nickel strips), you could try measuring either from the balance leads (that go to opposite sides of the same cell)/against ground, or from the tabs themselves

Be careful not to short anything with the metallic probe tips! Something like 0.1V difference probably doesn't mean much, but larger than that could be trouble (ie. bad cell).

Replacing it might be a bit more difficult, unless you have a spot welder or are very good with soldering iron (you don' want to overheat the cells). Personally, I wouldn't trust "just" soldered cells, but who knows, maybe they work just fine? :P

Btw, I'm currently in the process of charging & voltage testing a bunch of cells I tore out from a Packard Bell -laptop battery today, one 3P-set was at 2.52V, but it seems the cells can still be revived (no idea how bad hit the capacity has taken though);)  It was a real pain to get the pack open, you could almost think as if they don't want you to disassemble them... :ph34r::D

EDIT: Oh yeah, and @HunkaHunkaBurningLove's suggestion to take it into shop is a good one, if you have one somewhere there.

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, esaj said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and @HunkaHunkaBurningLove's suggestion to take it into shop is a good one, if you have one somewhere there.

I went to batteries plus and they got scared real quick, there are a lot of wires comming out of this pack. I guess for voltage regulation or something. I might try a different store, and now that i know what needs to be done, explain it slowly, instead of plopping it on the counter.

Yeah i'm not sure soldering would work either, the smooth surface would likely just pop off.

Thanks so much for the advice!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Several people seem to mention https://www.nkon.nl/ as a good cell supplier.  

Usually all those wires are mainly balance charging wires I believe so that the control board can monitor and charge cells individually I'm guessing?  Maybe taking it to a hobby store that sells RC helicopters and airplanes might be another option... or maybe an E-bike store?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Several people seem to mention https://www.nkon.nl/ as a good cell supplier.  

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove, thank you for that link, I've taken a look and it does look very promising, they also sell the nickel strip. Hmmm. My wife is complaining it is time we replaced our microwave as its getting tatty, so I might just get my hands on the transformer I'd need to make a spot welder.

28 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Usually all those wires are mainly balance charging wires I believe so that the control board can monitor and charge cells individually I'm guessing?  Maybe taking it to a hobby store that sells RC helicopters and airplanes might be another option... or maybe an E-bike store?

@spikes2020, what make EUC do you have? If, in addition to the power wires you have at least one more thin wire than cells (17 wires coming out of a 16 cell battery) then it would suggest you have an external BMS, or BMS (battery management system) on the mainboard, not many makes have that?

E-bike stores should certainly be familiar with the batteries, but I would doubt a radio control store would as model flying is pretty much all LiPos  which don't get built by users or stores at all as there is a massive selection commercially available. Neither do these have a BMS, balancing and charge protection is done in the charger and discharge protection in the speed controller.

I think IPS might have the BMS management integrated into their controller board?  If you look at the crazy number of white wires coming out of the control board in this thread:

I think they likely lead to the battery pack...

IPS121 Control-board.jpg

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I think IPS might have the BMS management integrated into their controller board?  If you look at the crazy number of white wires coming out of the control board in this thread:

I think they likely lead to the battery pack...

IPS121 Control-board.jpg

Yup, it has been discussed before in the forums, and I recall that "we" came to the conclusion that the BMS is (probably ;)) integrated into the mainboard.

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2016 at 10:14 PM, esaj said:

Do note that usually there is no short circuit / overcurrent protection on the charging side. That means that the BMS will NOT cut the power even if you accidentally short circuit them.

Excellent post!

Do you know if there is a specific reason for not having short protection on the charging side?

To me it seems as the BMS is not properly designed if it doesn't. I realize that it might be for regenerative braking purposes but there is no excuse for having this protection.

I almost started a fire when realising this :-)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

Excellent post!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

Do you know if there is a specific reason for not having short protection on the charging side?

To me it seems as the BMS is not properly designed if it doesn't. I realize that it might be for regenerative braking purposes but there is no excuse for having this protection.

I almost started a fire when realising this :-)

Other than plain cheaping out on manufacturing costs, I can't think of any reason at least right now ;)  For regenerative braking purposes, there's usually no overvoltage protection on the discharge side, but there should be on the charging side. My best guess is that overcurrent protection on charging side is seen as "unnecessary", because the end users should only be using it for charging with original charger, and the connectors should already prevent short circuiting or reversing the polarity... But that's just guessing.

The reverse voltage protection diodes or similar (if there are any) should prevent the current from running "out" from the battery through the charging side, but I think it would still be possible to use higher currents for charging? I'd need to fish out a schematic for some "real" BMS to figure out the details further...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, esaj said:

The reverse voltage protection diodes or similar (if there are any) should prevent the current from running "out" from the battery through the charging side, but I think it would still be possible to use higher currents for charging?

With a "real" diode one has the problem of the forward voltage. Charging with 8A would cause roughly 0.7*8=5.6w to be dissipated - imho way to much for an uncooled diode in a plastic wrap. For this some "active/perfect diode" circuit with a mosfet could work? @1RadWerkstattmentioned mosfet use for this to me once.

8 hours ago, esaj said:

I'd need to fish out a schematic for some "real" BMS to figure out the details further...

In @Cranium's "5a fast charging" thread for his ninebot the BMS conntroller datasheets are linked which include about anything to know about BMS schematics...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

With a "real" diode one has the problem of the forward voltage. Charging with 8A would cause roughly 0.7*8=5.6w to be dissipated - imho way to much for an uncooled diode in a plastic wrap. For this some "active/perfect diode" circuit with a mosfet could work? @1RadWerkstattmentioned mosfet use for this to me once.

Yeah, mosfet-circuit would seem more plausible, although I have some SMD-schottky's that should be able to handle up to amp or two continuous, or up to 5A with 50% duty cycle and rectangular pulse, but even then I'd at least place multiple of those in parallel.

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In @Cranium's "5a fast charging" thread for his ninebot the BMS conntroller datasheets are linked which include about anything to know about BMS schematics...

Right, I had totally forgotten about that... have to look it up, thanks! :) 

• 1 month later...

I found your topic here on batteries extremely helpful as I have been doing some battery maintenance as one of my balance leads has been looking worst for wear and now while the battery pack is apart I was looking at upgrading it as I need to get more range out of it due to my long commute to work everyday which is about 8 miles each way, I currently own a 340wh Xima Lhotz and have been looking at the post by Slaughthammer and hoping to be able to replicate his upgrade myself. I do still have my old battery packs which one is still in very good shape and charge in the pack is still healthy however the cells are not the same make or model to the ones I currently have as the Xima cells are
Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh - 10A

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0674/3651/products/panasonic-PF_1024x1024.jpg?v=1461386961

and the other pack is made up of Samsung ICR-18650-22P Li-Ion 3.7V 2150mAh

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/C/ACL9028.jpg

Would this matter if I wanted to use these to extend my range or would you suggest I get matching cells to make it the additional battery before attempting to commit to the upgrade as I'm technically minded and can definitely build the pack but the small details about the cell differences I'm still learning.

Thank you in advance ;)

Posted the upgrade I'm looking at attempting for reference.

• Upvote 1

from my view:

they are both 10amp cells...which i found more important than a match on mah/range...

i have done a upgrade of 2x410wh (3500mah cells) with a 340wh pack(2900 cell) myself..running perfect!

just would be bad if your cells are not capable of the same amp rate, as a to high distance in voltdrop could lead to a different voltage at all...

the best for sure would be to use the same cells ;-)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SinisterPrime said:

I found your topic here on batteries extremely helpful as I have been doing some battery maintenance as one of my balance leads has been looking worst for wear and now while the battery pack is apart I was looking at upgrading it as I need to get more range out of it due to my long commute to work everyday which is about 8 miles each way, I currently own a 340wh Xima Lhotz and have been looking at the post by Slaughthammer and hoping to be able to replicate his upgrade myself. I do still have my old battery packs which one is still in very good shape and charge in the pack is still healthy however the cells are not the same make or model to the ones I currently have as the Xima cells are
Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh - 10A

Would this matter if I wanted to use these to extend my range or would you suggest I get matching cells to make it the additional battery before attempting to commit to the upgrade as I'm technically minded and can definitely build the pack but the small details about the cell differences I'm still learning.

Thank you in advance ;)

As usual, I'll start off by saying that I'm not an expert on batteries, but here's my thoughts:

Using dissimilar cells in the same pack or in parallel between two packs has worked before for people, although; The differences between the cells can mean that they give out different voltages under usage, ie. the differing internal cell resistances cause a different voltage drop over the cell itself, meaning that some cells may drop more voltage over themselves, which means higher power dissipation (power loss) in different cells and different heating between the cells. This may not cause any problems, but if the other pack drops more voltage over itself, this may cause very complex current flows in the cell configuration (think of the other pack working "harder" or that the other pack both runs the motor and partially charges the parallel pack at the same time). Whether this works or not is hard to say, but in general, using packs with similar cells, or maybe even more preferably, from the same batch of manufactured cells could be recommended (ie. buy all the cells at a single time).

I had some discussions with the guy who built my packs, and although in the end I ended up with the wrong kind of BMSs (replaced later on with other "correct kind" BMSs bought off from from 1RadWerkstatt) ... :P   But, in his defense, he had never worked with a device that uses regenerative braking, mostly just scuba-diving gear like lights and underwater scooters, and I didn't bring it up, so he didn't know about the differing requirements of charging vs. discharging. Anyway, what we discussed about in some detail was the need of matching the cells (ie. picking the cells so that their characteristics are as near to each other as possible), and his opinion was that in most cases, it won't make that much of a difference in the battery total lifetime or total useable discharge capacity, and is a waste of money (as more than the needed amount of cells needs to be purchased to find the best matches).

Like KingSong mentioned above, the battery discharge capability (which usually seems to be derived from the internal resistance) is one of the most important metrics of the cell selection (for this relatively high current usage), although it also depends on the amount of packs you mean to place in parallel, as well as the mean and maximum output currents you will need. For example, 4 packs with 10A/20A (continuous/max) cells in parallel should be enough for most wheels, but even higher discharge-rates won't hurt (but usually it means more expensive cells and/or less total capacity).

But, like said, these are just my thoughts (plus I'm drunk right now, so might overlook/forget something) :P 

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you both for your replies it helps to know from a safety aspect that mixing the batteries then is not critical but from a chemistry and performance view although it would add some range i would be looking at overall diminished efficiency and possibly reduced longevity of the cells by them charging and discharging each other i assume though that as long as the packs were of equal charge when connected that any voltage differences that cause a charging would be safe during the discharge but long term it's definitely worth investing in the better cells too keep the high efficency and maximise the range performance

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SinisterPrime said:

I think that those Samsungs arn't the perfect choice for this. The stock Panasonics have an internal resistance of around 35 mOhms, the 22Ps have (from what I researched) 60 mOhms. Thus the voltgage level during discharging is a little to low, as the IPS BMS only lets you discharge to 3,4 V. That would give you effectively around one Ah additional capacity. However, this would still improve resistance to load peaks in the lower half of battery capacity (as only then the Samsungs will fully kick in), thus the range gain would be larger than the pure added capacity would imply. I added about 50% capacity and got about 80% more range, you are adding about 20% capacity and thus will probably get about 40% range extension (estimated).

From a safety point of view, there should be no problem, as long as you connect all the balance leads to each other as I did. Yes, there will be some strange currents between the packs, but as all the cells are directly paralled via the ballance leads, those currents should stay within reasonable amounts.

• Upvote 3

Thank you Slaughthammer appreciate the extra info, I've been doing a lot of reading into the batteries but its just these small details like the internal resistance that I have little to no knowledge about, as the application in electric unicycles seems pretty unique in terms of the voltages used and the currents they draw that I only seem to leave learning material with a small additional piece of information I didn't know before that I can use. I think I may try the build using these cells as some good cheap practice and invest in the new cells once I have completed it and am happy with the result as as cost wise, I priced up the same cells and I'm looking at a £75-£85 investment plus then the cost of wires and connectors, I already have solder tabs for balance leads but I will need to have the cell's tagged before I buy them as I don't have a spot welder and don't want to risk damaging the cells but I will certainly take the info you guys have provided and will update you with my progress. I will be ordering the balance leads over the next few days and I will disassemble the old battery pack while restoring my current ips one too peak condition again in the meantime

• 1 year later...

Hello all :-)

I skimmed through this thread and didn’t see an answer to my question yet. So apologies if this is already been addressed. I have a question about building battery packs with lithium ion 18650. I’m using a dead laptop batteries with capacities ranging from 1500 to 2500. I know the capacities must be matched when they are placed in series so that they meet at the lower end in upper end state of charge. However, is there anything wrong with mixing a variety of capacities with a set in parallel? The total capacity for each parallel group would match other groups that are connected in series. 

Thanks!

John Garriss

Done that awhile ago & it face-planted me :P Even though those cells are branded either from Samsung, LG, Sony & etc, its max discharge capacity is only 2C while minimum requirement for most PEVs is 5C. Having said that, if you're planning to use it as secondary or as 3P, 4P then it should be ok i guess but don't push it too hard. As you said it, it must be matched be it series or parallel cell.