Adapt EUC to scooter

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I've had my generic Chinese EUC for about 9 months now. I've been proficient enough to ride around the city for the last 7 months, but a recent fall, my first real one, sapped my confidence.

It's all just a bit. too. hard... sometimes!

It got me thinking. Is there a way to use my EUC to bolt on to a scooter frame? I've seen the cheap electric Razers come and go, and then the nicer and larger electric scooters, but I have never quite seen the wheels get to the dimensions that the EUCs enjoy. Of course, there are the skateboard mods with a giant wheel in the middle but they scare the pants off me, and crazy as it sounds, I can ride an electric unicycle but I can't ride a skateboard.

What if we could use the EUC as the front wheel of a scooter when we want to be a bit lazy? I picked my EUC up from Gumtree for about $200 nearly a year ago, and find that a scooter with the same battery range would cost over $1000.

Has anyone ever seen something like this attempted, have I missed something? Or is this a pipe dream, with no feasible solution? Have I just identified a market solution that is going to be ripped away from me with millions to be made (doubt that!)?

I've searched forums, Google, etc. with no luck.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well technically it's feasible. You'd need to create a footplate frame to attach to to wheel axel and to hold back wheel (12" or 10") but it would need to be suspended in a way that front wheel can still tilt to front / back independently of the frame. Then instead of original foot pedals you'll need a handlebar and the acceleration and braking will be controlled by tilting the handlebars to front or back. Finally the foot or hand brake for rear wheel shall be added as well for the safety so you can at least have chance to slow down if the motor suddenly cuts on you. So yes not so crazy idea at all ;)

7 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Could take some modding, but maybe taking out the electric motor and mounting the control board on a hand tilted box might work.... How handy are you?

Looks pretty good; drift trikes are fun but not very practical. I'm on the commuter side of the EUC world.

I'm actually pretty handy with fixing broken things and returning them back to stock. Fixed up a few road scooters in my time.

When it comes to modifying and reusing parts tho, I tend to pull things apart and then never manage to get them to do what I want. I was hoping to be able to return to stock at will anyway. Maybe I'll have a think about what my frame can handle and if I could screw something in there.

3 minutes ago, HEC said:

Well technically it's feasible. You'd need to create a footplate frame to attach to to wheel axel and to hold back wheel (12" or 10") but it would need to be suspended in a way that front wheel can still tilt to front / back independently of the frame. Then instead of original foot pedals you'll need a handlebar and the acceleration and braking will be controlled by tilting the handlebars to front or back. Finally the foot or hand brake for rear wheel shall be added as well for the safety so you can at least have chance to slow down if the motor suddenly cuts on you. So yes not so crazy idea at all ;)

I like it. I wasn't even thinking of that. I already have the mount point I need in the foot pedals. I'd have to see if the tilting is viable considering the point of axis being lower than the centre of the wheel.

Damn, a good idea but it might sit on the backlog for a while.

This is something close actually:

Maybe converting it to work with a BMX bike frame with a motorized wheel might work, but it could take a lot of effort.  Have you considered bumping up to a 16" or 18" wheel to commute?   I know with my 14" generic I feared most bumps over an inch or so.  With my Ninebot it's heavier, and I can go over most bumps a lot easier.  You're not going to defy the laws of physics of course so you still need to ride smartly.

There is also the world of electric bikes, and I hear they can be a blast to ride with the power assist.  I think someone mentioned a small, foldable version recently that  is very handy.

8 minutes ago, Robin Stephens said:

I like it. I wasn't even thinking of that. I already have the mount point I need in the foot pedals. I'd have to see if the tilting is viable considering the point of axis being lower than the centre of the wheel.

The one major issue though would be with steering as even if you'd somehow magically resolve the issue how to have the front handle bar rod fork tilt front / rear and at the same time spin left / right to steer the steering  itself would be changing the tilt and in result the speed and vice versa. So you'd most likely need to use rear wheel steering instead with only top of the handlebars rotating and transferring the rotation via Bowden cables to the back. Still would need to be done carefully to not mess up the front / rear tilt.

9 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Maybe converting it to work with a BMX bike frame with a motorized wheel might work, but it could take a lot of effort.  Have you considered bumping up to a 16" or 18" wheel to commute?   I know with my 14" generic I feared most bumps over an inch or so.  With my Ninebot it's heavier, and I can go over most bumps a lot easier.  You're not going to defy physics and still need to ride smartly though.

There is also the world of electric bikes, and I hear they can be a blast to ride with the power assist.  I think someone mentioned a small, foldable version recently that  is very handy.

The issue for me isn't the fear of bumps. In fact I like to surprise my friends on electric scooters by suddenly plowing into grassy fields. It's just the level of required concentration of 1 wheel soars way above any other mode of transport.

Electric bikes are cool, but they would never be as small as pushing an EUC around with a Razer scooter as a handle! OK, maybe not a Razer, but hey, maybe!

5 minutes ago, HEC said:

The one major issue though would be with steering as even if you'd somehow magically resolve the issue how to have the front handle bar rod fork tilt front / rear and at the same time spin left / right to steer the steering  itself would be changing the tilt and in result the speed and vice versa. So you'd most likely need to use rear wheel steering instead with only top of the handlebars rotating and transferring the rotation via Bowden cables to the back. Still would need to be done carefully to not mess up the front / rear tilt.

Sounds a bit complicated for my level of expertise. I've never even opened my wheel up, though I know if I was to proceed with any solution I'd have to seriously start tinkering.

I was thinking of gluing a curtain rod to the handle and pushing it forward to go, and then screwing a wheelbarrow wheel fork with a wooden plank on it into the foot pedals. OK, that's a joke, but the fundamentals might remain. The remaining issue with a not-rubbish version of this idea would be the lack of control from having a completely separate stalk from the frame.

The key would be the angle of the gyro! And that could be managed from a throttle quite easily (as mentioned by @HunkaHunkaBurningLove).

But if you want something reversible, how about this... Normal fork type steering, but with the EUC mounted to it. Then using a standard throttle cable to manage the angle / acceleration?

The angle required for controlling an EUC isn't actually that much, and once calculated, it is just a matter of placing the "business end" of the cable at the correct distance (radius) from the axle.

The last matter would be working out the balance of the seat / rider between the two wheels. To ensure enough weight to maintain traction. 

But then thinking about it, this solution could utilise the EUC for rear wheel drive instead...

Or, as well (rather than instead) - a dual throttle cable and two EUC - an e-bi-unicycle ("twofer" for short).

Copyright 2016 - The Fat Unicyclist! 

OK, so the gyro would just be directly affected by a throttle cable, by 'tipping' it over when you pull on it? It would only be 1-directional but it's unlikely I'll be cruising backwards anyway.

I haven't put the other pieces together yet but that's because I didn't know what I'd need. They key issue for me was the frame and mounting a stalk. Will I find a strong mount point inside the frame?

This whole thing has turned from mild musings to serious thought, which hurts a bit because I'm not particularly serious. :)

Could you modify a bike to have two rear plates (that sit on the EUC pedals) and are angle adjusted by the throttle? 

Then it could just be placed onto the EUC at any time for a different ride. 

Here's the small folding e-bike that was mentioned by someone.  I think Xiaomi is releasing a version as well.

I believe you can see how the tilt of he control board controls the motor in this video that @puntofato posted.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5985

On page 33 of the video thread @Planetpapi posted a video of the Snikky or Snikkey bike being crowdfunded, the rear wheel is the EUC attached to the front half of a bicycle.  You control speed with the pedals I think and steer with the handlebars.

20 minutes ago, steve454 said:

On page 33 of the video thread @Planetpapi posted a video of the Snikky or Snikkey bike being crowdfunded, the rear wheel is the EUC attached to the front half of a bicycle.  You control speed with the pedals I think and steer with the handlebars.

I found the thread:

I think a big wheel scooter version might be viable. Rear wheel would definitely be simpler if throttle cable solves the speed question.

27 minutes ago, Robin Stephens said:

. Rear wheel would definitely be simpler if throttle cable solves the speed question.

Yeah, looking closer at it I think it has a thumb throttle.  I guess the drive wheel is from an e bike and not an EUC like I previously thought.

How did you fall off? You can add handle bars and a front wheel, as long as the scooter part allows the EUC to rotate enough to climb and descend hills it should still work.

Some chinese company made something similar instead of the normal training wheels.

094714juoak7wui3osjah3.jpg

4 hours ago, lizardmech said:

How did you fall off? You can add handle bars and a front wheel, as long as the scooter part allows the EUC to rotate enough to climb and descend hills it should still work.

Some chinese company made something similar instead of the normal training wheels.

That would most likely not save rider from faceplant anyway as if seems to be loosely attached to the wheel. Also side stability or any real riding usage is disputable due tiny front wheel.

4 hours ago, HEC said:

That would most likely not save rider from faceplant anyway as if seems to be loosely attached to the wheel. Also side stability or any real riding usage is disputable due tiny front wheel.

That looks very weak, but it's concept is the easyest way to convert  an EUC to a scooter.

I can design a way stronger frame attached to a good pivot on the pedals and a BMX front wheel with good steering. If. you apply it to the  ASM you have a 40kph scooter !

I like the idea very much :) , If only I could buy a 30 to 40 kph EUC I would to it tomorrow . No point for doing it on mine 16 kph very stable EUC :)

3 minutes ago, alon av said:

I like the idea very much :) , If only I could buy a 30 to 40 kph EUC I would to it tomorrow . No point for doing it on mine 16 kph very stable EUC :)

Microworks sells mainboards and at least some motor:  

7 minutes ago, esaj said:

Microworks sells mainboards and at least some motor:  

Wow ! did not think of the MW combo

even the MW 30 would be enough .

I wonder if I could sneak it through custom.

Thanks esaj ! 

I wonder if anyone would like to try building their own Segway / Giant Hoverboard using two Microworks motors and two control boards.  You would have to build some sort of support platform to stand on which connects the two motors at the ends.  The platform would have to have some sort of swivel in the middle like on a hoverboard.  Leaning forwards would drive both motors forwards while changing pitch angle of the feet would provide steering input.  You could put in two battery packs and power it all on with one button.  In the end you could have a 30-40 KPH hoverboard with 14 inch wheels that goes for 25-30 kms in range?  I guess though it would be like that IPS system that connects two EUC's...

I've "semi-seriously" thought about building my own motor driver for the EUC-motors, not self-balancing, but just the drive bridges & controller for driving the motor back and forth at variable speeds. But for that, I need a spare motor (maybe if I can find a cheap generic someday) and add a 12-80V boost converter for my PSU and and I've got "enough" projects going on already, so probably not for a while :P

EDIT: Also probably need a CNC-mill or use a fab-house for the board, I doubt prototype-PCB traces are wide/big enough to handle the currents ;)

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Giant Hoverboard

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove that is a brilliant idea!  Simply increase the size of a hoverboard from child size to overweight American sihose I might buy one, I tried a hoverboard with the 8 inch wheels and could ride it a little but was very nervous riding it and actually did a Tyson on the sidewalk.  It had rained the day before, the sidewalk was dry but I fell backward into wet puddle and contused one of my fingers.  Sold it after that:P  Not meaning an actual Segway, those are very expensive, but a much bigger Chinese made hoverboard, less than 600USD.

Archived