Adapt EUC to scooter

Ouch!  Like anything else those hoverboards do take some time to get used to.  I think everyone has the initial shakes where your mind is telling you to balance which confuses the hoverboard as it is trying to do that for you so the additional rocking inputs destabilize the rider.  Once you relax and trust that the board is able to balance you the "shakes" go away pretty quickly. 

I'm not sure how well things would scale up as with the small hoverboards you can tilt your feet at the ankles pretty easily.  With large 14" wheels it might be less controllable due to the extra mass of everything especially the larger platform that houses the batteries and control boards.  There must be a reason why Segway and Ninebot prefer to have a solid non-swiveling platform for their medium to larger units.  Perhaps the ankle tilt doesn't work quite as well once you get past a mass of platform?

One other thing to factor in is that you have to have the two sides of the platform pretty level or else the motors will start driving immediately.  Maybe platform sensor switches would be necessary to only activate the motor when a foot is pressing down on it.  I don't know what would happen though if you're rolling at speed and you lift one foot up... could be trouble?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At higher speed yeah it would be better to hold onto something.  30 KPH might just be an accident waiting to happen especially if you get a twitchy foot.  Those hoveboards turn so quickly on a dime that swerving will throw you off in no time if you're going fast as the steering (speed control/direction) input is independent on each side.

@The Fat Unicyclist yeah that's exactly the one I was thinking about!  It looks like a swivel clamping system that locks the two Ximalayas (which are popular in the Himalayas?) together.  Now someone just needs to attach a chariot chassis to the front and a pretend fake horse, don some Gladiator duds and go rolling in the arena!  :lol:

8 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

At higher speed yeah it would be better to hold onto something.  30 KPH might just be an accident waiting to happen especially if you get a twitchy foot.  Those hoveboards turn so quickly on a dime that swerving will through you off in no time if you're going fast as the steering (speed control/direction) input is independent on each side.

Yeah, twitchy foot bad at anything over walking speed. i curse my foot daily. dag nabbit!

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

With the IPS linkage I wonder what it would like to have two people riding on it.  Steering would be interesting - almost like in a three legged race!

Have a look at this - when they are riding together (going very slowly) it seems a bit wiggly - though I might have that same problem if I was riding with her...

I saw a video where someone cut a bicycle innertube to make one long piece and then wrapped it tightly around the pivot point of a hoverboard so that it would slow down the response rate and make it less twitchy.  Maybe the IPS linkage has that built in.

On 7/12/2016 at 3:48 AM, MetricUSA said:

Sorry for the absence.

I actually found that on Aliexpress a little while back (probably a clone):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hoverkart-Go-kart-Karting-bracket-For-Electric-Scooters-6-5-8-10-balancing-electric-smart-balance/32696809181.html

I've picked up a cheap 16" wheeled scooter, so not quite Kickbike sized but better than a Razor. I found the wheels to be poor, so I picked up a kids bike for free on Gumtree/Craigslist and swapped them. Still struggling to get the back wheel on the rear fork, but once it's on I'll have a chain drive.

I've now seen lots of drill-powered scooter projects, so I might go that route; I have an old cordless drill with busted batteries, so I could go grab some bike batteries to start with as a test. I also realised that if I used my generic wheel I would be limited in speed to what my wheel can do. I want to go faster!

I still think there has to be a way though... Maybe using a non-speed limited controller with a switch to go between that and the original controller?

6 minutes ago, Robin Stephens said:

I still think there has to be a way though... Maybe using a non-speed limited controller with a switch to go between that and the original controller?

You can use something like this:

I think @electric_vehicle_lover mentioned that the MW boards are specifically designed for their motors so they may not be compatible with other motors out there.   I did read that one person was able to get his Freeman wheel working with a MW board so maybe some companies use the same motors.  I don't know how you would check though as maybe the number of magnets and poles varies resulting in  some motors not being compatible.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

That's not a pretty thing ^^

But think of the opportunities...

• How many Wh would you be able to have with one of these? Not to mention luggage.
  • And if it was detachable, you could remove the "bike" bit (and all of the extra batteries) to carry on with just the EUC going places a bike can't (like through a mall).

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎30 at 0:34 AM, steve454 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist I bet real soon someone is going to start selling kits for those, if someone hasn't done so already.

COOL  B)  , great to see it in reality , it was the first I thought about to mount it on the frontwheel on my bicycle , this is even better , I think an euc would also be an excellent wheelbarrow 

When I decided on bringing Here the EUC I thought my wife can use it for commuting to work ( together with the train )

She liked the idea in the beginning but when she figured out she has to practice to be able to ride good she lost interest.

That is why I am motivated to develop Robin Idea :)

So I made this prototype and tried it last night.

I am sorry to say it is far from being safe :)

you need to press down the front wheel constantly.

It is basically a wheely machine.

and when it tilts you back, the front wheel allways come up.

so if you are not concentrated and lower the front wheelto the ground with the front wheel not in the direction of driving... high chances of somthing not good happening

Scooter.JPG

Scooter 2.JPG

Ooh... I wonder about the physics of your design @alon av. As I understand it,  the way you balance and turn on a bicycle (with 2 wheels) is quite different to how you balance and turn on an EUC (with just one wheel). So I can see how it could be a bit unsafe. 

Perhaps if you could shift the centre of gravity forward more? 

OR - perhaps integrating into a "Yike Bike" type of configuration, with the EUC at the front...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4K_dl5XTP55B-PCmOmBw

I always try to keep things simple.

So, imo, any Idea that involves tilting the control board while keeping the whole wheel fixed, to control the speed, is already to complicated. 

What you suggest is to put more body weight in between the wheels , but for simplicity I wanted to stay with the pedal speed control.

If I will stand on the front side of the pedal ( between the wheels)  it will only accelerate until shut of .

The same would occur with the  "Yike Bike" type of configuration only reverse.

If I add seat, I need a rigid heavy frame to hold my weight. heavy is not good :) the best thing with the EUC it has no frame what so ever .

with this proto I added only 2 Kg.

I gave it a try and it was fumy and interesting , but not for my wife yet. 

If your are  wondering about the physics of my design , it is the same physics as any other 2 wheels following one another, for optimal steering you need the weight ratio to be around 50:50

In my proto case it varies with the amount of force excreted by the hands, some times you miss to push down, bummer ha ?  

I always try to keep things simple.

So, imo, any Idea that involves tilting the control board while keeping the whole wheel fixed, to control the speed, is already to complicated. 

What you suggest is to put more body weight in between the wheels , but for simplicity I wanted to stay with the pedal speed control.

If I will stand on the front side of the pedal ( between the wheels)  it will only accelerate until shut of .

The same would occur with the  "Yike Bike" type of configuration only reverse.

If I add seat, I need a rigid heavy frame to hold my weight. heavy is not good :) the best thing with the EUC it has no frame what so ever .

with this proto I added only 2 Kg.

I gave it a try and it was fumy and interesting , but not for my wife yet. 

If your are  wondering about the physics of my design , it is the same physics as any other 2 wheels following one another, for optimal steering you need the weight ratio to be around 50:50

In my proto case it varies with the amount of force excreted by the hands, some times you miss to push down, bummer ha ?  

Answers:

constant acceleration is just theoretical issue. It was for making a point clear ( and did not do it if it is not understandable :) )

Wheely machine is the impression I got while riding it, the front wheel wants to go up if you do not push it down.

When you have another follower wheel the fast and slow should not be leaning forward and backward but twisting/ rotating the foot just from the ankle and below while you lean on the front wheel. The tilt back does not work well in that case because it pushes all the body back together with the front wheel/

This proto had some birth problems. I need to build it a little longer with a different steering angle, it will take me some time though, too busy working again.

I will keep you posted

Archived