New Ninebot owner with questions

Oily

1 minute ago, Scully said:

If you were at 20% it would have been a tilt back

That would be my guess also.  It's pretty strong when it happens, especially if you are not familiar with it.

Firmware update 1.4.0 made it a little less severe, but it's still a surprise when it hits.

Edited by SuperSport

3 minutes ago, finchy said:

So in a tilt back, you cannot brake? You just have to let yourself run till 0 km/h? Because that was the feeling I got: couldn't do anything to the ninebot anymore. So I panicked and jumped off...

It leans back so far that you need to lean back even further to brake.   If you slowly lean back and let it slow down below 5mph, it will level out again.

Also, since you are new to this, it does the same at top speed, but not as severe of a tilt back.  But really don't push it up there, or you will be thrown at full speed.  Unless you are young and can run quickly, going from 0 - 15 mph in 1/2 second can be a challenge.

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2

Updating.... With only 18% battery I went for the football field behind my house and tried to provoke a tiltback.

First I put the speedlimit to 4km/h and tried to to harder: I felt a little tiltback.

Then I kept on driving till three beeps went and I experienced a major tiltback. I tried to stand up straight but my feet were tilted in a way I never could possible stand up straight.

I think a tiltback is good for the health of the battery but when you're going like 15km/h (like I did a couple of days before) it's just dangerous. Would be nice if ninebot changed this battery-like tiltback a bit softer.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, finchy said:

Would be nice if ninebot changed this battery-like tiltback a bit softer.

What firmware are you using?  I felt like 1.4.0 was a bit softer.  EDIT:  Just went back and read you are already on 1.4.0...

Also, as you get more comfortable, those surprise tilts won't throw you so bad.  They still surprise you, but at least they won't throw you off.

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

as you get more comfortable, those surprise tilts won't throw you so bad.  They still surprise you, but at least they won't throw you off.

It's good to speed up slowly to the speed limiter, you will get a softer tiltback.  I found speeding up fast that the tiltback was much stronger, to slow me down more quickly.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

as you get more comfortable, those surprise tilts won't throw you so bad.  They still surprise you, but at least they won't throw you off.

It's good to speed up slowly to the speed limiter, you will get a softer tiltback.  I found speeding up fast that the tiltback was much stronger, to slow me down more quickly.

@Rehab1 That is a good point about not draining the battery, after all the battery must have enough power to keep the wheel going.:)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

@Rehab1 That is a good point about not draining the battery, after all the battery must have enough power to keep the wheel going.:)

I regularly run my battery down below 20%. I do a lot of long-distance rides.  I even carry a second battery, and often run it empty too.

I'm now pretty familiar with it, so I know when I'm getting close to being empty. When I get near 20%, I start paying more attention, and don't ride full speed as often.  When it gets closer to 20%, it starts to tilt back sooner. You'll notice it before it actually gets gets to 20% and gives full tilt back.

But I would imagine I feel it easier, because I've been riding a while. I really notice when things aren't quite right.  I've done around 550 miles on it now. 

• Upvote 3

On 16 de juliol de 2016 at 0:46 AM, Rehab1 said:

@finchyWhen learning to ride, an unexpected tilt back really catches your breath. I've never fallen, but close. Like @SuperSport mentioned , the more comfortable you become the less you will over-react.  

Also, I rarely diminish my NB1 battery below 40% when riding. I am not comfortable with the IOS readout depicting the supposed battery percentage and remaining mileage listed. Be safe!

Remaining distances is useless as it depends a lot on the profile of the route. Long climbs tax batteries a lot but long descents recover them by regenerative braking.

As @SuperSport says 20% is possible if then, for example, you have a long descent and may recover battery.

Also batteries get stressed when doing a hard long climb. Just stopping some minutes and the will recover somehow.

Also in descents it seems to recover much more in fast ones that in small difficult paths full of rocks.

I've been riding my wheel for a while now and it keeps getting better and better.

Only thing that worries me now is this: When I'm riding on the road, my fear is not falling and hurting myself (since I have protection) but that in a fall my wheel runs away and may collide with a vehicle causing an accident. How do you guys think about this? Is it maybe an option to attache the handle to my belt so that when I fall, the wheel stays with me (with the concidence hurting myself even more)?

Thx!

On 5 July 2016 at 3:41 PM, Scully said:

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention use some ankle protection. :-D

Where in the world are you?

I have been using these ankle braces which have worked well for me. Although pricey, they provide four major advantages: they protect the ankles from friction and wear-and-tear during riding; they support the ankles on long rides or when fatigue sets in; they reduce the risk of injury in case of a poorly-executed crash :(; and they provide additional arch support to mitigate onset of tired aching feet due to bad footgear or foot position. They take a few minutes to put on but have held up well.

Edited by litewave

• 3 weeks later...

Today I went for a ride to my parents house, which is about 4.5 km from my home. I started at 70% and when I arrived I had still 45% left. After about an hour I headed back home and battery was 50%. I took a longer way home and after 4.5 km, the damn thing got in tilting mode ( I checked battery level and it was 25%) so I fell pretty hard. Luckily I had my protection gear on, so besides some scratches and a painfull hip I'm allright. So I did 9 km with 50%, pretty low I think...

Thing is: it would be much easier for me to take a look at the app a few times so I know when battery level drops. I could place my smartphone in a strap I use for running, but I don't want to ruin my phone when I fall.... So I also have a moto360 smartwatch, but the ninebot app doesn't run on it....

I think I will be hitting the road again tomorrow, that is: if I can walk in an normal manner again ;)

Don't be too afraid of the tilt-back.  It's just a physical warning that you're approaching the upper limit of the safe maximum riding speed.  Just ride it and lean back to slow down a bit, and it will return to level.  I find the Ninebot programmed to be quite safe so there should be no need to jump off unless you're pushing past it's limits somehow.  I've taken the crest of a hill too quickly and ended up going down faster than planned, but the Ninebot tilts back so I slow down in time.  It's just trying to keep balance so it tries to tip you back a little to help slow you down.  Just be aware that at lower battery power you just can't expect the wheel to go as fast, accelerate as quickly, or be functioning exactly the same as at 100% battery power.

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...