New Ninebot owner with questions

Oily

Hi all,

I've done my leaner miles (very nearly 900 of them) on a generic 14" 132wh Chinese wheel, and after a lot of frustration with Freeman, have bought a used C+ ....... I think !

It was advertised as a C+, but having done a firmware upgrade this morning (1.2 to 1.4), I'm getting pedal tilt at about 16kmh.  How do I identify if it's a C or a C+ ?

And the 2nd question, which I feel stupid asking, which way is forward ?  I've assumed the power button goes at the front (same as my generic), but when I get pedal lean - it's leaning forwards, which feels AWFUL !!!

Many thanks

Olly

Front can be either direction for the Ninebot - bear in mind tyres tend to be one directional (especially in the wet) - it's normal to ride wit hthe red button to the front. 

Open the app on your phone, click 'riding settings' then 'synsometry' (or whatever it's called) ... what number do you have it on? 3 is normal.

One of my units is a C+, if you open the battery cover the C+ comes with 55.5vdc / 220 wh battery

Edited by Scully
  • Upvote 1

Hi Scully,

Ok, red button is at the front so thats fine and and I'm on setting 3. Any ideas on pedals tilting the wrong way?

Will pull the cover in the morning, but I have a guesstimated 14miles on a charge according to the app - did 7.8 miles on it tonight with plenty left in the tank and I did some fairly substantial hills....

Are you saying that the pedals are tipping you forwards?
Have you tried the calibration? (not sure what it does though)

The battery cover is the one on the right hand side

Edited by Scully

Yes! :o Hit about 16km/h and you can feel them tip forwards - I'm used to backwards on my other wheel, but forwards feels positively dangerous. Back off slightly and they level out and I can cruise at 15 comfortably.

Cool - thanks

Will try a calibration as I've not done that (the guy I bought it from "learnt" for 6 months doing a total of 5.5 miles and never connected it to a phone)

Limit is set at 6.2mph or 10km/h and is turned off. 

Just done a calibration, but its dark and I've not fitted lights yet so can't take for a test.

I presume the sensitivity (0-9) is the replacement for comfort, normal and sport mode?

Edited by Oily
Spelling mistake

6 minutes ago, Oily said:

I presume the sensitivity (0-9) is the replacement for comfort, normal and sport mode?

Correct, sort of.  0 is very firm ride and 9 is super soft ride.  9 is actually too difficult for me to ride very far.  I ride on 1, but many people like 3.

Tilting forward is really strange.  Hopefully, the calibration will fix it.  If not, try the Manual Calibration in my Signature below this message.  That might get you level again.

Edited by SuperSport

Hi JoeJoe,

As my wheel has only done 42km I guess this could be it - although I'm getting it at kmh not mph - but I have a C+.

Will give it a few more miles and see what happens!

1 hour ago, Oily said:

Hi JoeJoe,

As my wheel has only done 42km I guess this could be it - although I'm getting it at kmh not mph - but I have a C+.

Will give it a few more miles and see what happens!

50 miles in kilometers is 80.476  

Having done the calibration last night this morning on a pre 5am test ride, I'm getting almost no pedal lean and hit 19.5km/h before I got the warning beeping - but almost undetectable pedal lean.

Will try the manual calibration tonight.

34 minutes ago, Oily said:

Having done the calibration last night this morning on a pre 5am test ride, I'm getting almost no pedal lean and hit 19.5km/h before I got the warning beeping - but almost undetectable pedal lean.

Will try the manual calibration tonight.

I am sure you can set the app to work in MPH instead of KMH but then the temperature switches from Celsius (which I prefer) to Fahrenheit. I don't have my Ninebot to hand to check my app for you sorry.

As for the tilting that may only happen when you get towards it's maximum speed OR when the battery is low. I remember my first few miles being limited then the app popped up with a medal and unlocked the speed and off it went. For sure when it tilts you will know about it lol 

Hi Tremf,

Yeah you can change between mph and km/h - not sure which I prefer. I'm in the UK so mph is normal but most sites talk in km/h as all of Europe use it. :)

condescending Correction :ph34r: the whole world uses KPH except a minority of island-states :D that sometimes even still drive on the wrong side of the road.

But to add something useful (dont take the above seriously), go check out the impressions of 1.4 Firmware on this board, Ninebot changed a lot of things towards "safety and comfort" that put people off because they now feel patronized in the usage of their device.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jag_Rip said:

condescending Correction :ph34r: the whole world uses KPH except a minority of island-states :D that sometimes even still drive on the wrong side of the road.

But to add something useful (dont take the above seriously), go check out the impressions of 1.4 Firmware on this board, Ninebot changed a lot of things towards "safety and comfort" that put people off because they now feel patronized in the usage of their device.

:o Don't slate the Uk, we invented erm..... I dunno, something important about speeds/motoring.... probably ! :P

Yeah, I started picking up issues about 1.4 once I saw the above screen shot - bit late now I guess as I presume you can't roll back ?  Although equally, I would imagine if there are enough people complaining, Ninebot may roll these changes back for the next update ?

• Upvote 1

No downgrade as far as I know, there is a way to downgrade two-wheeled ninebots described on this board, but I havent read anything about downgrading singlewheel NB1's.

Now that all the European resellers of Ninebots have been dumped, they might be able and willing to reflash firmware, but it would mean to send in the MoBo at least and it also means you wont get any further support or warranty from Ninebot. For some experienced Users thats OK, but each has to decide for their own.

• Upvote 1

I was pushing 20km/h this morning, which I'm happy enough with, and the calibration made a huge difference, so I'll try again over the weekend & see how it goes. 

Thanks for the response ! :)

I only rode for about 4 minutes this morning just so I could update this thread before coming to work.

There was virtually no lean in any direction, so looks like the calibrations was just WAY out.  I'll do it again tonight/tomorrow morning using the @SuperSport instructions & will take it out for another test ride. :)

• Upvote 1

Regarding speed and tiltback on 1.4.0

The tiltback is progressive in my experience, starts with little and then more and more tiltback as speed increases further. 

At 24-25 km/h I get serious tiltback telling me to not push further, together with 3 beeps. 

The tiltback on 1.4.0 is much improved from 1.2.3 I updated from (in my opinion)

This on e+ model. 

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Oily said:

I only rode for about 4 minutes this morning just so I could update this thread before coming to work.

There was virtually no lean in any direction, so looks like the calibrations was just WAY out.  I'll do it again tonight/tomorrow morning using the @SuperSport instructions & will take it out for another test ride. :)

Great guide @SuperSport (which I found on Youtube) although a way of getting the wheel to sit straight (rather than between your legs) is as long as your floor is level, use 2 chairs. I used my kids ones as they are lower, but any hard chairs or 2 matching tables or even 2 building bricks will do. :)

The pedals/mounts are flat bottomed so the wheel just sits on the ends with no real movement.

20160701_213312.jpg

15 hours ago, Oily said:

The pedals/mounts are flat bottomed so the wheel just sits on the ends with no real movement.

20160701_213312.jpg

Perfect. I've also used cordless drill batteries of the same size. You are correct, anything that will hold them level. 

I've done this during a ride, so between the legs worked well for that. 

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2