New Ninebot owner with questions

Oily

Success!

Following the manual calibration last night, have just been out for a test ride.

With the limiter set to 10km/h I get serious pedal lean (backwards) once I get over 11km/h. Remove the limiter and I'm getting the warning beeps from about 20km/h and briefly saw 21.2km/h and pedals started leaning! :)

@SuperSport what rear light do you have - looks really small and fits perfectly!

Thanks for all the help guys!

• Upvote 1

Awesome news, thanks for reporting back. 

These are the lights. I had to drill a small hole in the light mount so it screws to the screw hole in the back of the NineBot with a single screw.  If you shop around, you might find a better deal.

USB Rechargable Lights

I'm on my way to a ride now in San Francisco. If I remember when I get home, I'll post a video showing how it was done.

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2

On 1.7.2016 at 3:54 AM, Oily said:

How do I identify if it's a C or a C+ ?

I was told that if the unit's serial number starts with "N1OC" then it's a C, if it starts with "N2OC" then it's a C+.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Duc said:

I was told that if the unit's serial number starts with "N1OC" then it's a C, if it starts with "N2OC" then it's a C+.

Brilliant - thank you!

I start N20CA so it is a C+.

Thanks @Duc! :D

Giving the wheel a clean this morning and have removed the main board cover - looks like I have a Ninebot E rather than a C+.

Inside the cover is a sticker! :D

2 hours ago, Oily said:

Giving the wheel a clean this morning and have removed the main board cover - looks like I have a Ninebot E rather than a C+.

Inside the cover is a sticker! :D

Hoping for you that it is correct, but my E+ also has an E sticker.  I think the stickers were placed on the covers to designate which wheels they fit.  That same cover fits a few different wheels.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but maybe it will help you figure out which one you have:

NineBot Comparisons.png

Also, the C is 110Wh, the C+ is 220Wh, and the E is 240Wh, whereas the E+ is 320Wh.  The battery should be marked.

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 3

Thanks @SuperSport

I've just found the below on the Official Ninebot site, so I have a C+ (but a fast one, as I can hit 21km/h easily with little pedal lean).

"The model can be determined from the serial number of the vehicle, for example, N1OCA14**A** indicates model C, N2OCA14**A** indicates model C+, N1OEA14**A** indicates model E, and N2OEA14**A** indicates model E+."

Did 6 miles on Sunday morning & 7 this morning on my way to work with no issues - and have now broken the 50km (am showing 65km) :D

• Upvote 2

Hi everyone,

I'm was looking for a monowheel and I'm thinking of buying a ninebot one e+.

So far so good but today I stumbled upon some youtube movies and internet articles about the ninebot shutting off for no reason, making the rider fall off and hurt himself really bad.

So now I'm a bit anxious about buying a ninebot. Is it really that kind of a problem which happens apparently only with the ninebot one models?

Thank you!

There were issues with a version of the Firmware a while back, but the latest (1.4.0) is absolutely fine & has resolved the problems.

Unlike a lot of generic wheels, Ninebot release firmware updates, which are applied using the mobile phone App as & when enhancements are needed.

Good luck !

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, finchy said:

Hi everyone,

I'm was looking for a monowheel and I'm thinking of buying a ninebot one e+.

So far so good but today I stumbled upon some youtube movies and internet articles about the ninebot shutting off for no reason, making the rider fall off and hurt himself really bad.

So now I'm a bit anxious about buying a ninebot. Is it really that kind of a problem which happens apparently only with the ninebot one models?

Thank you!

LIke Oily has said it, the Firmware now works....but as you are new here:

NO MOnowheel (EUC we say here)in the world is perfect and there is ALWAYS the possibilty of a shut off....and fall....so Attention!

Everything can happpen...Motherboard Fails, Batterie Fails, tyre flat.....and then it goes Forward flying..... without the wheel....

I would personally not vote for a ninebot One because they are Maximum 340wh....and a bigger Batterie as for example 680wh or 820/840wh is always safer for a wheel and in Real life you do not get the anounced Range from the table above....

But in this 340wh class they are for sure one of the best wheels.......

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

Thx for the info guys! I'm pretty comfortable with your stories so I'll go on and buy the ninebot one e+. It's purpose is mainly for pleasure so I won't use it for very long trips, but you don't know what the future might bring (home-work is around 7,5 miles).

Maybe not the place for this kind of question but: is there a way to learn to drive it quickly? I've read stories about grimping to a wall for starters?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, finchy said:

Thx for the info guys! I'm pretty comfortable with your stories so I'll go on and buy the ninebot one e+. It's purpose is mainly for pleasure so I won't use it for very long trips, but you don't know what the future might bring (home-work is around 7,5 miles).

Maybe not the place for this kind of question but: is there a way to learn to drive it quickly? I've read stories about grimping to a wall for starters?

Use a wall, or have someone next to you that you can hold on to. Unfortunately, they will get tired quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Learn on flat level grass, that will save you from damaging your ninebot. 
From the people I've watched learning, they seem to do best with someone running next to them holding their arm, as they get more confident hold their hand, then finally let go. 
Just remember, stand up straight, relax.

• Upvote 1

Thx for the tips! I bought it today and man.....it's hard! It is really really hard. I practiced today for about an hour an my legs hurt like hell. I expected it to be hard, but this is something I never experienced before. At this time, I have the feeling I will never get used to it, but I know I have to keep practicing, every day. This is not something you do once and say "fine, now something else..."

But I'll persist! ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, finchy said:

Thx for the tips! I bought it today and man.....it's hard! It is really really hard. I practiced today for about an hour an my legs hurt like hell. I expected it to be hard, but this is something I never experienced before. At this time, I have the feeling I will never get used to it, but I know I have to keep practicing, every day. This is not something you do once and say "fine, now something else..."

But I'll persist! ;)

Deja vu!  :blink:  Once you get used to it though, you wonder why you had such a hard time before...  It's weird.  Just like riding a bike, it was so hard to learn at first, but after that you always retain that skill.  It's quite neat how the brain learns because now I don't even consciously think about it.  Even when riding very slowly to a stop just before falling, my legs know how to twist the wheel a little to prevent toppling over.  But you know - the harder the challenge in learning the more rewarding it feels!  It's like climbing a really steep mountain - it's not easy, and at some points you don't think you'll make it.  Once you're at the top you're the king of the world!  Then all the rewards come flowing in - the ladies, the fame!

giphy.gif

Oh, hold on a second, no no, I got confused with Leonardo DiCaprio for a moment...

• Upvote 2

Hi, I think they are useless and dangerous, it doesn't really teach you stability, only going forward, but that's the easiest part, plus they tend to make you fall if yo gain some speed and then try turning..

Some riders like them, I don't ;)

• Upvote 3

They are fun to get rolling on the wheel to see what it's like in terms of leaning forwards to go and leaning backwards to stop.  That's about it.  They don't really help with the learning process I found, but at least they get you going on the wheel.  I scooted around a parking lot with them on my generic wheel for a while, but I can't really say they helped me learn that much.  If you have an empty skating rink with a waist high wall to lean against you can hold yourself and find your balance or find a friend to lean on.

• Upvote 1

@finchy If you have a fairly long hallway in your house you can use the walls to help.  DJquestionthis posted in the video thread a very good beginner video.  Go to general discussion and then the video thread.  There are many good videos there that show how to begin riding.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

If you have an empty skating rink with a waist high wall to lean against you can hold yourself and find your balance or find a friend to lean on.

That's how I started, there is a roller hockey rink near me and the wall really helped when just starting on my generic.:)

I just recreated the strap system I used during my training.

The NB1 does not incorporate a handle design that allows an easy attachment of a strap. My method:

Attach a strap (nylon, cloth, velcro) snugly to your NB's handle using a large cable tie and then wrap the other end of strap through your belt.  My strap was nylon so I just melted a slot through it to insert the cable tie. I then stitched velcro onto the strap to allow adjustment of the length once it went through my belt. 

Be sure to fasten the strap close to attachment point of the handle ( up high) to prevent the handle from excessively twisting if you have a drop episode.

Great to use while practicing and not always having to worry about dropping your EUC. The belt attachment  also leaves your hands free while practicing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1