Battery Door Magnet Mod for Quick Battery Changes

SuperSport

I LOVE just about everything about my NineBot One E+, except for the Range

It's frustrating to drive 2-3 hours all the way to San Francisco, just to be able to ride the NineBot 10-15 miles before I have to recharge my Battery.  This puts the larger battery wheels (GotWay/King Song) in a bind because they either need to leave me behind, or stop and wait for an hour for me to get a charge.  So far, they've been really nice and we've eaten, coffee, or whatever, but I know it would be nice to not have to do this.

With that in mind, I decided to modify the Battery Door so I could do a Quick Battery Change in the middle of the ride.  I'll carry a second one in my backpack, and this will take about 30 seconds, so I don't think I'll have too many people mad at me.  I used Neodymium Magnets due to their Strength compared to Size.  Easily find these online.

First, I needed to pull it apart.  I've never done this, and I was worried, but it's surprisingly EASY and fast!  I only pulled apart ONE side. The side with the battery.  Right Side when riding it.

Remove the Foot Pad, Remove the Light Ring, Remove Battery Cover, Remove Trim Plate, Remove Body.  <---  See NineBot UK How To Videos:

IMG_2058.JPG

I drilled holes in the Body and in the Battery Cover.  I drilled smaller than needed so I had to press in the magnets.  I didn't want to rely solely on Glue to hold these in place.

Here is the Inside of the Body Facing the Wheel.  It shows the glue added.

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

On the Outside Facing your leg, I extended the magnets slightly so it would help to align and hold the Battery Door.  When gluing the magnets in place, you need to set the depth of both magnets so that they barely touch the opposite magnets when the door is in place.  This takes some fiddling, but is important for a strong hold.  Also, get your Polarity correct!

IMG_2047.JPG

Again, on the Battery Door, I've drilled slightly small and set the depth to match the opposite magnets.

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

Due to the strength of the magnets, I added a piece of Gorilla Tape folded over on itself as a Pull Strap to open the door.

I also cut the Screw Tabs off the Cover.

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

Put it all back together making sure to get your LED lights plugged in so they rotate the correct way for you.

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

StrapMagnets.JPG

The ONLY parts that should be left over are the two screws and tabs you cut off the cover.

IMG_2065.JPG

Get your second battery and ride twice as far.  I will be adding Velcro to Both Batteries to help hold them in place as added protection.

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

Wow that looks so clean inside, even right near the wheel! I guess you never ride in the rain or mud? 

Great idea, and well executed. That seems like a better solution for extended range than a larger battery really. The connectors are pretty snug so they shouldn't be bothered by a few additional connect/disconnect cycles.

Rain, but very little mud. I'll clean it a little once in a while too. Very little...

Yeah, I do Radio Control and these connectors are good for MANY re-connections.  If they start to wear, I'll simply replace them.

Also, for what it's worth, I've only got 254 miles on this wheel so far. 

Good design, accept to much work for me. Decided to attach a small screw driver and hold it in place against the handle pulley with gorilla tape. The light rings can come off using ONLY the hand. Had to cut short the trip by about 10 km. Went just over 34km along the river to the beaches. 32% Battery Left Over. Strange...the battery level went up to 40% after few hrs of shut off.

For NEW BUYERs reading, found the handle pulley is a must have accessory, do not bother buying the ninebot without the handle pulley!! Best to place the handle pulley from behind for quick transition and less obstruction of view in front. The handicap parking stand with limitations was also very useful.

Very good job.

The only drawback I see is that iron dirt taken by the wheel can be trapped by the inside part of the magnets. Not very common, but...I would prefer not to go with the magnets through the shell into the inside.

2 hours ago, Rotator said:

Very good job.

The only drawback I see is that iron dirt taken by the wheel can be trapped by the inside part of the magnets. Not very common, but...I would prefer not to go with the magnets through the shell into the inside.

Maybe that was the point - help to find some treasures during the ride... Too bad magnets dont attract precious metals :)

5 hours ago, Rotator said:

Very good job.

Good point that I never thought about.  I did think about dirt where the connection is made, but never thought about by the wheel.  I guess it could add up to quite a stack of material in there.  Around here, we have a bit of Red Dirt, so I'm sure I'll start seeing accumulations.  And, thanks to your insight, I'll be looking.

I think I still need some modding to make this perfect, but cannot do it today.  I'll update when I make changes.

Great idea! :)

What about riding in hard rain? I already did this and everything was fine. So I'm wondering about the protection of the battery when using magnets. 

@One  Same Protection as long as the magnets are holding.  Nothing changes with the seal.

I am going to make some changes though as I've found the magnets to not be completely reliable.  I'll update when I get that done.

• 2 weeks later...

Battery Pack shoulder bag convert to backpack. If too short, connect two straps together. Enjoy!

Update: Should have a velcro in the middle chest area to hold the strap close together.

Use this SMALL light bag instead for battery. Got a spare strap from my notebook strap bag. Seems to work. Update: Not Comfort enough need a better solution or diff. mini packback with more padding / surface support

lowepro-nova-180-aw-closed.jpg

Looks nice. Maybe too heavy / discomfort on the side belt. The battery is too heavy to carry off center of gravity, affects balancing on the wheel. Increase fatigue before the second battery kicks in! WOW.

nicely done ... ;)

I fantasized about a magnetic battery cover too some time ago, but I had about 3 incidents (E & E+) with the original battery cover, which got me to abandon this idea. After a minor crash (nothing serious) the lower part of the battery cover (the 2 black hinges) got out and the battery+lid were only hanging in the lashes with the 2 screws. It was no problem as they didnt break and you could simply squeeze them right back into place.

282E28F0-3BE0-4EF0-8B6C-07E90685AE7D.png

in your case, or as a worst case, with magnets it would just jank out the cables from the motherboard or battery ...

i would suggest that you use some velcro tape on the backside of the battery to reduce the weight pressing on the cover in case of your 9b falling over.

and/or put in some extra cables which disconnect easily in case the cover gets detached and your batt went flying.

Although i love your mod, i would prefer some other quicklock mechanism just for the sake of the battery :)

1 hour ago, Blunzn said:

i would suggest that you use some velcro tape on the backside of the battery to reduce the weight pressing on the cover in case of your 9b falling over.

and/or put in some extra cables which disconnect easily in case the cover gets detached and your batt went flying.

Although i love your mod, i would prefer some other quicklock mechanism just for the sake of the battery :)

In fact, this is exactly what I've done so far.  I added some very strong velcro.  In case of a fall, it would be very hard for the battery to get loose.  I have been thinking about some sort of twist lock mechanism like you mention, but I haven't had the time to go back in and get this done.  I'm thinking something like these.  My Last Harley Davidson used these to hold on the Saddle Bags.

56e444261fc42_TwistLocks.jpg.d7b9a1f0c12

I just ordered a DC to DC Converter and a couple USB Ports that I'm going to wire in too, so while I'm in there, I'll revisit this mod and see what I can accomplish.  Figured since I have TWO batteries, I can also recharge my phone or add lights, cameras, etc...

Here are the parts:

56e43f3bad43c_DCtoDC.jpg.3ad07677aa6360356e43f3c64d93_USBPort.jpg.77fd4d77162d72

And here's what I'm going to try to do:

56e441cc77bb1_WheelwithPort.jpg.f0a955fc

I decided to go with a medium backpack with 3 big padded form areas at the back. Form padded straps. Elongated neck support with padding. The back also has a thin layer of plastic to straighten the back area. Unique design. Very comfortable and feels light with the battery due to the better force distribution and padded areas.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-transit-daypack-35-l-0765411p.html

• 3 months later...
On 19 March 2016 at 9:17 AM, OneWheel said:

I decided to go with a medium backpack with 3 big padded form areas at the back. Form padded straps. Elongated neck support with padding. The back also has a thin layer of plastic to straighten the back area. Unique design. Very comfortable and feels light with the battery due to the better force distribution and padded areas.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-transit-daypack-35-l-0765411p.html

Do you carry the Ninebot inside the backpack? If yes, could you post pictures with it inside? I have been searching for a good backpack solution, as the ninebot and IPS versions don't seem robust (IPS) or useful for transport (ninebot). Maybe this deserves its own thread. Cheers.

17 minutes ago, litewave said:

Do you carry the Ninebot inside the backpack? If yes, could you post pictures with it inside? I have been searching for a good backpack solution, as the ninebot and IPS versions don't seem robust (IPS) or useful for transport (ninebot). Maybe this deserves its own thread. Cheers.

I believe he was talking about carrying his battery inside that pack.

Here is the Small Pack I use for short trips to carry my extra battery, charger, tools, water and misc items.  It also has a helmet holder built in that stores in a small zipper pocket.  Very small, light, and compact.

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Naturehike-Outdoor-Riding-Backpack-Bicycle-Cycling-Sports-Bag-Shoulder-Bag-For-Camping-And-Hiking-Unisex-wp-Usa-1021937.html#

BackPack Small.png

And, of course, here is the larger pack for carrying the NineBot.  This is useful if I'm going on a trip and need to keep all the NineBot stuff together.  Large, but light until you fill it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SUYCDEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20151209_172451723_iOS.jpgPack.jpg

On 12 March 2016 at 11:21 AM, SuperSport said:

And here's what I'm going to try to do:

Wheel with Port.jpg

Very nice work, I hope to do the same in due course. Thanks for sharing.

Its the carbon fibre wrap from eBay? I bought an inexpensive roll from China over a year ago for shelving but the adhesive was not strong and would not remain stuck in the high humidity around the corners. Is a 24"-wide roll adequate to wrap both covers? Did you prep the surface (the ninebot covers) at all? Did use a heat-gun to seal the wrap? Cheers.

Archived