Does your Spouse Support your EUC hobby?

Rehab1

Well I just picked up my new 'Flame Edition NB1 in stealth mode. My wife does not know about about this purchase since it is my second NB1 but the price from  @FORWARD california was to good to pass up. Thinking of giving her an unexpected gift to help lessen the blow. She seems to support my love of EUC. Only wish I could convince her to learn to ride. Any couples riding together? Jealous!

IMG_3436.jpg

Congrats on the new addition to the family!  It looks smaller than your other Ninebot for some reason.  What do you think about the flame design?  Quite nice isn't it?  As long as the bot is okay I wouldn't worry too much about the box.  I wouldn't sign for it before doing an inspection just in case so you're covered by the courier insurance.

I see you are delaying your visit to the doghouse!  :D  Let me tell you something - (in Han Solo's voice) women always figure out the truth.  Always.  It might be best to tell her how much you love her sooOOoo much then break the news.  Rip the bandage away cleanly.  A nice gift doesn't hurt either.

... in the end always remember this song...;)

It does look smaller in the photo. Same size. Just had a conversation again about her learning to ride. She said she does not bounce very well if she fell....code words...not interested!. I still have my first EUC, an air wheel Q6 dual wheel. She would do fine on that. Will keep trying. Now that I think of it she only flew once in the helicopter. I'm the adventurist one it appears...

I have spousal support, along with a lot of encouragement to wear safety gear. 

She is also not too keen to mount up herself. But now that I have two wheels I will be suggesting it again - though I may wait until next summer...

My wife definitely supports me because I have mobility issues and don't drive. This has severely limited me the past few years and I have went from walking and/or cycling 100+ miles a week to only really going out to bus to and from work and walk a short but still tiring and painful distance to pick our youngest daughter up from school. Then spending the weekend at home resting ready for the next week. This was really depressing me

The EUC has given me my freedom back and as I am happier she is also happier. 

As she isn't brilliant on two wheels (used to always manage to crash on her bike when she was younger) I don't think I will ever convince her to try an EUC. I think she will gladly stick with her car. :)

Maybe see if she doesn't mind learning on grass first with her holding onto your arm/shoulder.  Sometimes just looking at something that shouldn't be that stable can scare people off as they fear injury and embarrassment. Or even learning indoors first away from prying eyes can help.  I did a lot of my initial learning inside.  Give lots of encouragement and support and most importantly don't let her fall or get injured or that's it.

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Any couples riding together?

I got my first wheel in September 2015, and started teaching my wife almost immediately after learning to ride myself. In the beginning we've been using my friend's wheel for tandem rides. A few months later I've got the second wheel. We ride together very frequently, usually at least a 2-3 times a week. You can find a lot of clips from our rides together on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MikWindsurf/videos

PS. Both my sons have their own wheels and ride them too (although, surprisingly, the younger one is not really a big fan) :) Sometimes the whole family rides together, when my younger son visits us (he lives in Portland, OR).

@trya That is truly awesome! Great family fun! Thanks for sharing!

I lost my son a few years ago. He would have loved this sport! I hope to teach my 11 year grandson. He is great on a hoverboard so he should do well. 

Before buying my first EUC I had done such a good job selling it that my wife was quite eager to try. Unfortunately whilst learning I was a slower learner and this scared her off it for good I think. Then my cheap generic face planted me and this completely turned her off!

Now she thinks I should act my age [I'm 71] and think of all the dangers I am exposing myself to!

Since having to stop windsurfing some 4 years ago due to a knee cartilage tear [choice stop running, twisting sports etc or have a knee replacement!] - the EUC has been a god-send.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@trya That is truly awesome! Great family fun! Thanks for sharing!

I lost my son a few years ago. He would have loved this sport! I hope to teach my 11 year grandson. He is great on a hoverboard so he should do well. 

I simply cannot imagine how it is to loose a child, but I guess it's good to see all he good things of him in your grandson.

Enjoy learning him to ride, and make sure he wears full protective gear.

@Jurgen Thanks. Yes tough! Thank god his new father is wonderful in raising him. Thumbs up on him wearing protective gear!

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Accidental overdose. Have our moments but We are doing fine. Thanks.  I built a childrens memorial in 1999 that was established well before he died. Never thought it would happen to my family. www.toledochildrensmemorial.com 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@AlanR @OliverH What a joy that must be when you are all together enjoying the same hobby! Precious moments!!

We started with the IPS and ordered the Ninebot from the first production series one or two month after the IPS arrived. Up to this year we managed that only two of the family drove together. The kids got more and more fun to drive with me so we decided to buy new EUCs for us and the kids got the old EUC from us ;)

We did a tour in Luxembourg together and a two days tour in France.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Jurgen Thanks. Yes tough! Thank god his new father is wonderful in raising him. Thumbs up on him wearing protective gear!

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Accidental overdose. Have our moments but We are doing fine. Thanks.  I built a childrens memorial in 1999 that was established well before he died. Never thought it would happen to my family. www.toledochildrensmemorial.com 

Kids don't have any idea of how their choices can impact their families.  Life is precious and fleeting so it's unfortunate that some paths chosen sadly squander it away.  I guess though that we're all only here for a short time in the big picture so we have to make the best of what we got.  Everyone will lose someone precious to them eventually so it's a part of life.  Sadly sometimes we can only share a short amount of time together so we should cherish those times that we have.  It sounds like you and your wife are coping through it as best as you can which is probably what your son would have wanted you to.

I watch another TV show now and then, and even though I'm a pretty tough guy I can't help but tearing up a little when I watch it.  Ever see the show "Long Island Medium?"  The medium, Teresea Caputo, is quite the character!  She's loud, has big hair and super long nails, but she has this incredible gift of being able to pass on messages from the deceased to their family members.  You can see the impact that closure has on people.  It's quite moving at times.  But the bottom line message is that those people who have crossed over always wish the best for their family even though they may have had some rough times during life and made the wrong choices.   They have found their peace and are still with us.  I like to believe it's true.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and heartfelt message. My wife loves Long Island Medium. I have seen it numerous times and the positive impact she has on families is incredible!  Yes get a bit teary eyed as well. I use to be skeptical of mediums but she definitely is one I believe in.

Bad past month. We had to have my son's black lab euthanized 4 weeks ago and then his cat last week. Replaced with another dog. Still not the same.

Have a great day!

Nope, Mine didn't have the confidence - as soon as I let go of her arm she was off, 

The next day we went to speedyfeet office where she tried a Mini Pro - she's much happier following me around on that! LOL., 

@electric_vehicle_lover Lucky man to have a wife who is enthusiastic and joins you.

Thanks for the 'do-it-yourself' EGG EUC reference. Just one question, re the BMS used, are you able to modify the circuitry to prevent shut-off due to over current, low battery level etc which are the plague of the commercial ones? 

@trya good to see your family wearing safety gear - many home videos posted recently don't show riders wearing safety gear.

From experience I can say that the first face-plant usually changes riders habits! 

13 hours ago, AlanR said:

@electric_vehicle_lover Lucky man to have a wife who is enthusiastic and joins you.

Thanks for the 'do-it-yourself' EGG EUC reference. Just one question, re the BMS used, are you able to modify the circuitry to prevent shut-off due to over current, low battery level etc which are the plague of the commercial ones? 

I am not having problems with BMS/battery packs. I also use 2 battery packs (each one in parallel) to reduce the possibility of problems, The battery packs I am using were taken out from cheap generic EUCs.

Archived