Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

@MattJ I don't know if you know Hackaday news site. In past, I had in different dates, 2 of my projects on their blogged by them. Some days ago I submitted EEG EUC but they didn't blogged. Can you please submit your EUC to them - let's see if they help EUC: http://hackaday.com/submit-a-tip/

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@MattJ I don't know if you know Hackaday news site. In past, I had in different dates, 2 of my projects on their blogged by them. Some days ago I submitted EEG EUC but they didn't blogged. Can you please submit your EUC to them - let's see if they help EUC: http://hackaday.com/submit-a-tip/

I can´t do that yet. It will be published elsewhere and I promised not to publish any how-to´s until 30 days after they have published it. Right now, I am only allowed to publish the files, but no step by step instructions.

Great Matt!!

Is great to see that you are using now the github. The assembly file is really nice. I hope in future you can document a bit more.

I am sorry to be so picky, but:
- the first release were v1.2; this new one or is v1.3 or v1.2.1 and not v.1.21
- it is not supposed to release source files, the source files should be on repository only - the zip file that is created automatically includes the sames files you attached, but even worse, seems you attached files with different names from the ones on repository - are them different, new ones??

1 minute ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Great Matt!!

Is great to see that you are using now the github. The assembly file is really nice. I hope in future you can document a bit more.

I am sorry to be so picky, but:
- the first release were v1.2; this new one or is v1.3 or v1.2.1 and not v.121
- it is not supposed to release source files, the source files should be on repository only - the zip file that is created automatically includes the sames files you attached, but even worse, seems you attached files with different names from the ones on repository - are them different, new ones??

The only files changed are the pedal brackets which I already uploaded earlier, which would make it version 1.2.1 or whatever you want to call it. It´s probably better I keep my hands off and concentrate my limited energy on designing instead. As I already said, I don´t know the first thing about coding and how those tools are used. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I am reading all this with enthusiasm, and think I will print my own EUC as soon as possible (my brother owns the 3D printer, and it's currently under maintenance. :( )

I have a question regarding "waterproof" : Can the EUC handle some rain (in order to get back home), is there any kind of protection here ?

By the way how is it after some use? Any improvement you are thinking about?

Thanks again for the amazing work, Can't wait to have my own! :D 

On 3.10.2016 at 6:24 PM, Mougna said:

Hello!

I am reading all this with enthusiasm, and think I will print my own EUC as soon as possible (my brother owns the 3D printer, and it's currently under maintenance. :( )

I have a question regarding "waterproof" : Can the EUC handle some rain (in order to get back home), is there any kind of protection here ?

By the way how is it after some use? Any improvement you are thinking about?

Thanks again for the amazing work, Can't wait to have my own! :D 

You could make the shell quite water resistant by adding some silicone between the parts during assembly, but the shell will be more difficult to disassemble once you´ve done that. You might also want to protect the switch, charging socket and LEDs against water. The LED openings can be easily covered with tape or filled with transparent silicone, add a rubber plug to your charging socket and you could use a water resistant switch instead of the regular one. Once you´ve done all that, it should be able to handle quite a bit.

Right now, I´m quite happy with the result and see no need for immediate changes.  I´ve been thinking about a few possible changes though, for example, I have an idea how I could add a third 32 cell battery pack, which would raise the total capacity above 1kWh, but that might be more than necessary. I haven´t even managed to ride the current version until it´s empty, this one goes 40 km already.... Slightly larger pedals would be nice to have too, but I haven´t found any suitable ones so far.
But those are all little things, none of them are serious. So right now, I don´t really see any significant weaknesses which would need to be resolved before printing another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the question was for MattJ but I would like to give my feedback.

My EGG EUC keeps working perfectly. I also upgraded the battery pack and I found that on short step hill near my house, now the board don't beep - this means this batteries should now handle more power to the motor :-)

The board, the motor and the mechanical parts are working perfectly for me (and my girlfriend, she have his own EGG EUC). In next months I should build another EGG EUC for my young son of 6 years old.

21 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

@MattJ could you tell us how your long term testing of your wheel has been going?  Do you find the MW components to be working reliably?  Any unexpected cutouts?  How's the hill climbing abilities?  Any overheat situations?

Just like electric_vehicle_lover said - no problems whatsoever. No cutouts, no overheating and also climbing performance is very good at least with my weight (~85kg) and it doesn´t even feel like I´m anywhere close to the limit yet.  I have yet to find a hill on a regular road where I would need to step down. My highest measured speed (GPS) is 28.4 km/h, but with the wider 2.5" tire, which is slightly larger than the regular one, which will have a top speed of around 25 km/h. So from my point of view, I can strongly recommend this motor and controller. I just wish it was available in 16", but luckily the wider 2.5 tire makes it de facto a 15" unicycle.

I was just mentioning to @Jason McNeil that there is a lot of potential here in this sort of wheel.  Faster than Ninebot One speeds while lighter and cheaper.  What's not to like?  I can't recall - is there tiltback on the 30 series controller or does it just beep?

Thanks for your report.  I think it would make for an excellent starter wheel for some folks getting into this hobby.

@Rein-tech @Lz Lee I hope you offer a 16" option soon as that seems to be a popular all around choice!

16 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I was just mentioning to @Jason McNeil that there is a lot of potential here in this sort of wheel.  Faster than Ninebot One speeds while lighter and cheaper.  What's not to like?  I can't recall - is there tiltback on the 30 series controller or does it just beep?

Thanks for your report.  I think it would make for an excellent starter wheel for some folks getting into this hobby.

@Rein-tech @Lz Lee I hope you offer a 16" option soon as that seems to be a popular all around choice!

No tiltback, just increasing beeps as you approach top speed. I agree with what you said about a 16" option. I´ll order one right away if they become available and making a 16" version of my design requires just a bit of extra height, so it would only take a few minutes to modify the files.

Ok guys, it seems like I just bought myself a new printer with larger print space (220x220x240mm). It was so cheap I couldn´t resist :D
Once I have it set up und running, I might make a simplified version of the unicycle shell with less parts. Essentially the same shell, but with upper and lower section of the battery housigs printed in one piece. My current printer is only able to print up to 150mm height, which is why I had to do the housings in two parts. 

Just now, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

What printer did you end up getting and price? 

This one :
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html

On sale now for 159 USD plus freight. I ordered mine 3 days ago and DHL just called me this morning that it has arrived in our country. It´s a kit, but with very good assembly videos and good reviews, apparently very easy to assemble and set up.

13 minutes ago, MattJ said:

This one :
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html

On sale now for 159 USD plus freight. I ordered mine 3 days ago and DHL just called me this morning that it has arrived in our country. It´s a kit, but with very good assembly videos and good reviews, apparently very easy to assemble and set up.

Seems like good and affordable Prusa clone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived