Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

10 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

We will soon have a fully functional Android app for this EUCs - we hope to make a working release next week.

That sounds great. What kind of functions will it have?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much would these EUC bodies cost when done? Right now I can purchase a 800w motor for 79.99. Then put another 30 for control board, and 120 for a decent battery and be done with it. Have a $200-250usd euc that can do long range/ good speeds...beats spending 5x the amount.

15 hours ago, 1kw said:

How much would these EUC bodies cost when done? Right now I can purchase a 800w motor for 79.99. Then put another 30 for control board, and 120 for a decent battery and be done with it. Have a $200-250usd euc that can do long range/ good speeds...beats spending 5x the amount.

The material cost is not too high. Filament will cost you maybe 40-50 USD, maybe 10$ more for screws and other hardware. But printing will take about 150 hrs (total of 9 parts, each between 12 and 20 hrs print time). So it depends on how you calculate, but no matter how low I´d price my time, it would still come out too expensive if I planned to sell them. Also, the finish which can be achieved with my hardware is not always on the level you would expect from a commercial product, even though it is perfectly fine for my personal use.

After doing some testing I think that there are no more major modifications necessary, all stl-files are now useable as they are. I will publish them shortly. In case anyone wants to have them even before that then drop me a note. 

I´ve been pushing my printer quite hard for the last few weeks because I wanted to finish this project, so I did some long overdue cleaning and maintainance work on my printer last night and the printing results improved dramatically, at least for the moment. This morning, I placed an order for 2 motors and horizontal controllers from Microworks as well as 5 kg of filament from Hobbyking. So when the filament arrives, I´ll start my next printing marathon.

10 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I wish you could put the files on GitHub and some 3D renders/animations, for a possible assembly manual.

Actually I have prepared something similar, but I have received a request to have the instructions presented in a publication and to wait until the article is published before putting the files on public display on thingiverse or elsewhere. But if anyone here would like them, then just contact me.

E14S Unicycle assembly.pdf

A little quality comparison, last print before I decided to take my printer apart and first print after... guess which one is which! This part is the quickest one of my unicycle parts to print as it takes  o n l y  13 1/2 hrs.  I now started to do another E14S unicycle in transluscent yellow, seems like it´s going to look quite stunning in that color!

Before and after.jpg

Great job! I just installed it on my phone and tomorrow I´ll test it. Did you really manage to go 33 km/h on your unicycle?? My highest so far is only 24 km/h, while having the gotway app running and keeping an eye on it at the same time, but it has been windy lately which slows me down.

GREAT!!!!

I just added a the link to your project and a video: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

Also today we got the EGG app calibrating the wheel, so there is almost nothing missing from the features of gotway app - we should release another version today or tomorrow.

On 18.8.2016 at 6:34 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Is that your daughter on this video? running on another EUC behind you:-)

Yes, on my old generic, but I am currently printing another one for her as well so she can keep up with me :)

On 18.8.2016 at 2:31 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

GREAT!!!!

I just added a the link to your project and a video: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

Also today we got the EGG app calibrating the wheel, so there is almost nothing missing from the features of gotway app - we should release another version today or tomorrow.

Fantastic - you´ve really done a great job creating this app. Now it´s all open source!

My son with 6 years old is also learning on slow generic - in fact we are now 3 of us riding and we did learn on that slow generic :-)
Now my son also wants on fast because the slow one is always beeping on the max speed - he wants one in yellow and red. He also wants one with LEDs like mine - he likes a lot when we ride at night.

8 minutes ago, MattJ said:

Fantastic - you´ve really done a great job creating this app. Now it´s all open source!

We have the shell and the app as OpenSource. We also have more information like the 30B4 board schematic and information about firmware update over bluetooth, etc.
I think is important to have a good documentation for the ones that want to build this EUC.
I am still working to learn and do the firmware.

9 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

We have the shell and the app as OpenSource. We also have more information like the 30B4 board schematic and information about firmware update over bluetooth, etc.
I think is important to have a good documentation for the ones that want to build this EUC.
I am still working to learn and do the firmware.

Then the last and only thing missing anymore is an open firmware. :)
I just received a notification from DHL that my latest order has arrived. I have done the customs declaration now and will probably receive the package after the weekend. I´m really curious about the horizontal controller, which should make it possible for me to double the battery capacity to a total of 64 cells. Also, I´m getting a couple of those fat 2.5" tires, theoretically they should fit into my shell without having to widen it, but we´ll see.

7 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

My son with 6 years old is also learning on slow generic - in fact we are now 3 of us riding and we did learn on that slow generic :-)
Now my son also wants on fast because the slow one is always beeping on the max speed - he wants one in yellow and red. He also wants one with LEDs like mine - he likes a lot when we ride at night.

I´m currently printing one in transluscent neon yellow with its future owner´s name imprinted (1mm deep text) on both side housings. But I´ll make it with just one 16S2P pack because it will be lighter to handle and due to our weight difference, its actual range will still be almost the same as when I use mine with two packs.

3 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

About range and batteries, I am right now upgrading my cells from the original 2.2A to 3.5A so an increase of 59% range with the same volume (although I don't know if this cells are heavier).

What cells are you using? Where do you buy them from? 3.5A sounds like a lot!  I used 2.8Ah Samsung cells from Gearbest, about 12 USD for 4 pcs. I measured the capacity and the rating seems to be quite accurate.

Archived