Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Looks nice, I am using these: http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_399861.html
Relatively good capacity at a reasonable price. Max discharge rate is not very high, but that hasn´t been noticeable since I am using at least 2 cells in parallel.

8 hours ago, MattJ said:

What cells are you using? Where do you buy them from? 3.5A sounds like a lot!  I used 2.8Ah Samsung cells from Gearbest, about 12 USD for 4 pcs. I measured the capacity and the rating seems to be quite accurate.

My guess would be LG MJ1's, they're 3.5Ah NCA-cells. 1Radwerkstatt uses them for their largest packs. Nkon.nl sells them (among others) at 4.59€/piece (there are price-breaks for larger amounts) + whatever the shipping costs  http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/lg-inr18650-mj1.html

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice there was already a next thread-page with responses :D

25 minutes ago, Battling said:

LG MJ1 are great.
Note : nkon.nl warranty covers all their cells whereas Gearbest refuses.

I´m sure they are great. I need a total of 64 cells for my unicycle and despite my serious determination to become rich one day,  I need to make compromises meanwhile :)

I´m going even cheaper now: http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_399860.html?wid=21   But only because the other ones were out of stock :D
Anyway, these are less than 20 EUR for a set of 8 pcs including shipping. So all in all, I will still have a total of 624Wh and a max discharge rate of ~22A, which should both be plenty for my needs. Total battery cost USD 175.68 + 2x BMS à 9.00 USD  -> Total battery expense less than 200 USD.

DHL just delivered my order from Microworks. That 2.5" tire looks so sweet. :)
I´ll probably need to put a 10mm spacer between both halves of the battery housings to increase the total height a bit and make sure there´s enough clearance. No big deal. 
Can´t wait to test it!

2.5tire2.jpg

2.5tire.jpg

On 20/08/2016 at 11:44 PM, MattJ said:

I´m sure they are great. I need a total of 64 cells for my unicycle and despite my serious determination to become rich one day,  I need to make compromises meanwhile :)

You don't really need to be rich as you are a wheeler and above all a maker ;)

I'm curious to know the behaviour of this tire (with pressure at max).

36 minutes ago, Battling said:

I'm curious to know the behaviour of this tire (with pressure at max).

So am I :) .  It´s about 1 cm wider and a bit over 2 cm larger in diameter than the regular one, so it´s almost like a 15" wheel. Hopefully I´ll be able to put it together this week and then test it, as long as my printer doesn´t decide otherwise...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done. Now with fat 2.5" tire and horizontal controller. I´ll add a second 32 cell battery as soon as the remaining cells arrive from China. I had to increase the total height by 10mm to have enough clearance for the larger wheel. The finish turned out quite decent imho.

P9014326b.JPG

1 hour ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Nice looking!! and 3D printing is great!!!

Looking forward for your review with this different tire :-)

Thanks! I had only time to test it for a few minutes today, but it felt pretty good so far. I´ll share my impressions as soon as I have time to do some more testing.

14 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Nice looking!! and 3D printing is great!!!

Looking forward for your review with this different tire :-)

Ok, half an hour of testing in the morning and here are my first impressions:

Horizontal controller:  Everything works nicely just like the vertical version, but it seems that this one is a bit softer. Madden mode, which I normally use, feels a bit more like comfort mode did on the other one. The pedal very slightly tilts down in tight curves, but nothing that I wouldn´t be able to handle and get used to. But in any case it´s a bit less firm than the vertical one. Use it if there´s even a slight possibility you will at some point want to free up space for a second battery. If you know for sure you will never need to do so, then the vertical one might be your choice, but it´s a matter of taste.

Tire: Nice!! Feels more steady and bumps are less noticeable. You will feel less vibration when riding on gravel or grass. In deep gravel, you will not start to sink in as easily and get stuck. Almost like having a bigger cycle, not quite like 16" but close... Can´t think of any disadvantages right now. :)

How's the speed / acceleration like with the larger tire?  With the additional weight, does it feel more sluggish as compared to your other wheel?  How much space is available at the top opposite to the power button/battery level lights?  I wonder if there's enough room to integrate a bluetooth speaker like @Rehab1 has, namely the Harmon Kardon Esquire Mini:

http://www.harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ESQUIRE+MINI.html

Width (mm)

Width (in)

5-1/2
Depth (mm)

Depth (in)

15/16
Height (mm)

Height (in)

It looks like there's plenty of room to mount it to the front, but it would be nicer to have the speakers facing upwards towards the rider...

6 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Lovin' that beefy tire!  I wonder if you could make some fender add-ons to maybe house a headlight and a brake light plus maybe a small sound system?

Nice idea, I will have to look into that. However, there are quite few technical limitations regarding print size and shape, which is why the current version already consists of 9 pieces bolted together. Bolting on fenders will make the whole cycle case less crash resistant, but one possibility might be a removable one which will pop off if you hit something.

4 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

How's the speed / acceleration like with the larger tire?  With the additional weight, does it feel more sluggish as compared to your other wheel?

I didn´t really notice anything, maybe a very very slight difference in acceleration but it might also be caused by the softer controller, so maybe I just need to step on a bit harder.

If you added some mounting points to the case you could bolt on the fenders pretty easily I think?  In an accident they might break off, but I would think the main case looks quite sturdy to resist fracture?  Also, if you made the fenders "Bat Wing" shaped you'd have a Batmo-unicycle on your hands for ultra-coolness!  :lol:  Can you embed a Batman emblem on the side of the case?

batwheel.png

15 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

How's the speed / acceleration like with the larger tire?  With the additional weight, does it feel more sluggish as compared to your other wheel?  How much space is available at the top opposite to the power button/battery level lights?  I wonder if there's enough room to integrate a bluetooth speaker like @Rehab1 has, namely the Harmon Kardon Esquire Mini:

http://www.harmankardon.com/bluetooth-speakers/ESQUIRE+MINI.html

Width (mm)

Width (in)

5-1/2
Depth (mm)

Depth (in)

15/16
Height (mm)

Height (in)

It looks like there's plenty of room to mount it to the front, but it would be nicer to have the speakers facing upwards towards the rider...

There is not much free space. Approximately 50x130x20mm underneath the second top cover (the one without electrical parts).

You could step the top half of the case out to have a wider top area for expansion purposes since you've slimmed it down from the first version I think?  Just playing with some ideas in my head that's all... This is like taking the Geek out of the Geekwheel and making it cooler... Can you tell I'm itching to buy a 3D printer and get into the design area? I just don't have the work space.... ugh...

I wonder if you shifted the position of the handle to one side and added a few inches of height it might free up some open space for speaker placement.  The case looks pretty small in your riding videos so there should be some expansion possibilities...

It's too bad these take so long to print out, or you could be selling custom made wheels with Harmon Kardon sound systems with personalized emblems/logos/brands to interested parties...  I wonder how much it would cost to purchase licensing for the Batman logo to use on products if you were to commerialize production...

5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

If you added some mounting points to the case you could bolt on the fenders pretty easily I think?  In an accident they might break off, but I would think the main case looks quite sturdy to resist fracture?  Also, if you made the fenders "Bat Wing" shaped you'd have a Batmo-unicycle on your hands for ultra-coolness!  :lol:  Can you embed a Batman emblem on the side of the case?

Some small screw holes could of course be added so the fender could be attached with tiny wood screws. The case has turned out to be quite crash resistant in its current shape, but any bigger bolts or screws might also crack the main case in a crash. . Adding a logo is of course possible, but not with the software I´m using and not with my skills. This is my first ever 3D design, so I´m not exactly an expert designer. :D

I was thinking of adding small mounting extrusions onto the outside of the case so the fenders could bolt onto those.  In the event of a crash, those small extensions might break off, but usually the wheel flops to its side so I would think unless it's a doozy of a crash the fenders wouldn't get too much of the force.  That way you don't have to screw into the case at all but just into the extended parts.

5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

You could step the top half of the case out to have a wider top area for expansion purposes since you've slimmed it down from the first version I think?  Just playing with some ideas in my head that's all... This is like taking the Geek out of the Geekwheel and making it cooler... Can you tell I'm itching to buy a 3D printer and get into the design area? I just don't have the work space.... ugh...

It's too bad these take so long to print out, or you could be selling custom made wheels with Harmon Kardon sound systems with personalized emblems/logos/brands to interested parties...  I wonder how much it would cost to purchase licensing for the Batman logo to use on products if you were to commerialize production...

I wouldn´t make the case any bigger because it will be a lot less comfortable to ride - I´ve just been there and solved the problem by making it smaller! :D   Where there´s a will there´s some room for a 3D printer. Doesn´t take more space than a microwave oven. I have mine running in the laundry room next to the washing machine ;) 

19 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I wonder if you shifted the position of the handle to one side and added a few inches of height it might free up some open space for speaker placement.  The case looks pretty small in your riding videos so there should be some expansion possibilities...

Not possible. The handle is the part which holds together the left and right half of the case and it needs to be in the center.

E14S-006LR.JPG

Just came back from my first longer ride on the new version of my unicycle with the bigger tire and I can only say that I really love this tire. Smooth - if I have to put it into one word. Feels like I have upgraded to business class. All the microvibration is gone when riding on gravel or grass and all bumps feel so much less pronounced now. Also curbs are now much easier to handle. So my strong recommendations for the 14x2.5" tire!

Archived