Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will not recommend 3d printed composites for pedal. It may work for days, look very cool and light weight. But I don't think i can take the abuse from falling and accidental knocking into rocks. It will probably break in 1-2months that is not worth the cost for making.

19 minutes ago, Sponge said:

@MattJ Can you ride much slower with that 2.5" tire ? Because I like to ride with my 3.0" very slow and couldn't do it with the normal 14" tires.

I´ve only had the tire for a couple of days, so I haven´t paid any special attention to that, but I did go really slow a few times and didn´t notice any problem maintaining very low speed. I need to check that when I ride the next time.

4 hours ago, changfrancis said:

I will not recommend 3d printed composites for pedal. It may work for days, look very cool and light weight. But I don't think i can take the abuse from falling and accidental knocking into rocks. It will probably break in 1-2months that is not worth the cost for making.

There's a new 3d printer that does carbon fiber and kevlar parts, claims to be stronger than aluminium.

markforged-launches-high-strenght-high-t

26 minutes ago, lizardmech said:

There's a new 3d printer that does carbon fiber and kevlar parts, claims to be stronger than aluminium.

markforged-launches-high-strenght-high-t

I totally agree with composite material are much better, but for 3D printed composite the technology is still far from ready for practical usage. For a custom made pedal, how much is he willing to pay before he gets a properly engineered and made product like above ? That 3D print only have strength in a single direction, side to side movement will likely break the bonding layers.

The 3D printed parts with carbon fibre is based on nylon layer bonding which is sensitive to water. Pedal are close to ground that comes in contact with mud and dirt daily, I don't think I can last very Long(maybe months), he may have to replace them regularly.

9 minutes ago, changfrancis said:

I totally agree with composite material are much better, but for 3D printed composite the technology is still far from ready for practical usage. For a custom made pedal, how much is he willing to pay before he gets a properly engineered and made product like above ? That 3D print only have strength in a single direction, side to side movement will likely break the bonding layers.

The 3D printed parts with carbon fibre is based on nylon layer bonding which is sensitive to water. Pedal are close to ground that comes in contact with mud and dirt daily, I don't think I can last very Long(maybe months), he may have to replace them regularly.

There are layerless 3D printing techniques which have excellent strength in all directions, but the main question is whether it will be possible to get a reasonable quote for such a custom pedal.

3 hours ago, changfrancis said:

Hi MattJ

do you release the 3D file for other developers?

are you able to release the files in STEP format ?

I will like to make minor adjustment before printing.

The files have been published on thingiverse already in stl format, but I also have them in .rsdoc format in case someone needs them.

1 minute ago, lizardmech said:

That would be easier, can you upload them somewhere? Then it can be ported to more open cad format.

I can upload them here. Right now, I am modifying the pedal brackets because Microworks have slightly changed the dimensions of their pedal holder. I can upload everything as soon as I have finished them.

27 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Matt will send me the files and I will put on github. I also suggested Matt to learn git commands so he can do it in directly future.

@lizardmech I can also add you if you are interested.

Ok, thanks for adding me. I sent you the files directly this time just to make things faster, but hopefully in the future, I can do it directly.
The pedal bracket has been adjusted to fit the current version of the pedal holder from Microworks. The screw locations and total width are slightly different. However, the first one of this version is still in my printer, which should take around 14 hrs to finish so I can then test how it fits in real life. :)

On 7.9.2016 at 7:47 PM, lizardmech said:

I think what it really needs is a skull shaped wheel cover and headlight.

Haha cool... even though printing it might be a challenge, at least on my equipment :D

Source files and STL files for 3D print are now on github. There is also a release: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/shell_MattJ/releases

@MattJ I suggest you to use the wiki to document. The advantage is that you will own the source files of the documentation (you can always backup the files on your computer), not like on other sites like Thingiverse.

@lizardmech that skull is great!!! now that is really personalization -- thanks to have a base shell :-)

Archived