Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

13 minutes ago, andress said:

Coudnt you control this esc with arduino with gyro/accelerometer? Similar to how the commands are sent from remote control from e-skateboards which I think this esc is meant for?

I think would not work because the acceleration ramp for generic ESC may be slow for the needs of an EUC to very quick change direction to be able to balance.

This idea can be applied to VESC and one user already did (VESC + Ardunio for 1 wheel skater balance), but VESC acceleration ramp can be configured on firmware parameters of VESC and can be very fast.
On VESC, the commands to control it (that user controlled the motor current, sending command to VESC) are sent by UART signals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little custom-made spinoff version. I still had one vertical controller and the motor of my first bulky version, so I made this lighter version for my kid. One 32 cell battery on one side and the vertical controller on the other. The top section is lower and the upper edges more rounded. Top covers attached with smaller screws. I added a voltmeter for more precise battery monitoring. This was just to use up some parts I had left. No plans to develop it further, even though it turned out quite nice imho. But I´ll probably include the voltmeter in my new version.

E14S Light1.jpg

E14S Light2.jpg

I've been reading this with full interest.. I like to build me my own stuf, well rather design/print and assemble..
But beside the real mechanical part how much work is there on the electronics.. (I am no hero on that part) and is there a link somewhere on how to make the batterypacks out of the 18650's ?

Before starting this adventure I rather have all the info upfront :-)
Although I've just been riding a 9B1 for just under a week, luckily I seem to be a quick learning and am riding it around in minimal traffic, I would like to be able to make my own..

So a big thanks to @MattJ for his detailed comments and the designs..
As soon as I have been riding long enough and really confident I will build me my own one!!

The electronics are very simple, it is just connecting the correct wires and most of them have specific headers so can't be a mistake. As for the battery pack, I suggest you to buy and use two, and the seller sells ready prepared. Please see here, there is the full list with links to the seller page: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

• 1 month later...

As many of you probably have heard, there are challenges in getting the necessary hardware parts needed for this design. Microworks is currently unable to supply their motors in small quantities because their supplier has a minimum order quanitty of several hundred pieces. So at this time, I will not be able to publish the 3D-files for my new design because the necessary hardware parts are currently not available. We´ll have to wait and see whether the motors will become available again or if an alternative source can be found. If other parts are used, then some parts of my design might have to be changed for them to fit.

Archived