Another 3D printed EUC project

MattJ

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Just curious Matt - how much would you charge for one of your EUC custom wheels if you were to sell them?  Any plans for a 16" wheel version with the 40B horizontal controller?

It probably wouldn´t make much sense to sell them as it takes about a week to print just one with my current equipment, so that would require some different manufacturing technique in order to be able to make a reasonable quote. For example, I´ve been printing my current cycle now for 6 days in a row and I´m still missing three parts because last nights print failed to complete due to a clogged nozzle. The material cost itself is not high but it takes a lot of time. As far as I know, it is possible to order items printed on thingiverse once published there, but I don´t know how much they charge. I presume that such a large item will not be cheap.

Technically, it would be a matter of two minutes to modify the stl file and change the height to have enough clearance for a 16".  I actually wanted to make this new wheel a 16" version right from the start, but the problem is that Microworks doesn´t seem to have any 16" motors available, even though they do have them listed on their alibaba page. I asked them a few days ago. Maybe they could produce them if several people here were prepared to order them?  If it becomes available, then count me in... heck I might even print the parts for you if you can convince them!  :D   @Lz Lee : How many orders for a 16" motor would you need to produce them?

1 hour ago, MattJ said:

It probably wouldn´t make much sense to sell them as it takes about a week to print just one with my current equipment, so that would require some different manufacturing technique in order to be able to make a reasonable quote. For example, I´ve been printing my current cycle now for 6 days in a row and I´m still missing three parts because last nights print failed to complete due to a clogged nozzle. The material cost itself is not high but it takes a lot of time. As far as I know, it is possible to order items printed on thingiverse once published there, but I don´t know how much they charge. I presume that such a large item will not be cheap.

There are some print houses in Finland too, I think the pricing is up to 1) the material, 2) the volume of the piece(s) in cubic centimeters and 3) the complexity of the pieces (I recall reading that for very small details / complex support structures they might have to reprint them if something goes wrong, which can affect the final price).

Check here for example (these are two companies local to me, so that's what I've been looking at ;)):   http://www.3dformtech.fi/     https://www.proto-kk.fi

Alumide sounds like an interesting material (polyamide + aluminum).

List of Finnish printing houses:  http://3dprinttaus.com/?page_id=114

27 minutes ago, esaj said:

There are some print houses in Finland too, I think the pricing is up to 1) the material, 2) the volume of the piece(s) in cubic centimeters and 3) the complexity of the pieces (I recall reading that for very small details / complex support structures they might have to reprint them if something goes wrong, which can affect the final price).

Check here for example (these are two companies local to me, so that's what I've been looking at ;)):   http://www.3dformtech.fi/     https://www.proto-kk.fi

Alumide sounds like an interesting material (polyamide + aluminum).

List of Finnish printing houses:  http://3dprinttaus.com/?page_id=114

Thanks for the links. Complexity or small details should not really be an issue in this case as I´ve done my designs with priority on simplicity and easy printing, so no supports or rafts needed. However the volume is relatively high because I wanted to have at least some level of crash resistance and also for the batteries to be well protected, so that will cost. For example on my own printer, one battery housing which consists of two parts, takes about 2x20 hours to print. And there are two of them. Professional printers will probably be a lot faster and one could also expect a much nicer finish and have more great choices regarding printing materials. But of course, for personal use on a tight budget, the main issue is the cost rather than time. Had I done all my trials and errors on other than my own equipment then I´d probably be homeless by now ;) . This way, it has only cost be about 4-5 kg of filament and a lot of nerves.

1 minute ago, MattJ said:

Thanks for the links. Complexity or small details should not really be an issue in this case as I´ve done my designs with priority on simplicity and easy printing, so no supports or rafts needed. However the volume is relatively high because I wanted to have at least some level of crash resistance and also for the batteries to be well protected, so that will cost. For example on my own printer, one battery housing which consists of two parts, takes about 2x20 hours to print. And there are two of them. Professional printers will probably be a lot faster and one could also expect a much nicer finish and have more great choices regarding printing materials. But of course, for personal use on a tight budget, the main issue is the cost. Had I done all my trials and errors on other than my own equipment then I´d probably be homeless by now ;) . This way, it has only cost be about 4-5 kg of filament and a lot of nerves.

Yeah, probably best to prototype and finalize the design on your own equipment, and then (if need be), have it printed by a print house with sturdier material.

Just now, esaj said:

Yeah, probably best to prototype and finalize the design on your own equipment, and then (if need be), have it printed by a print house with sturdier material.

True. Once I´m happy with the end result I´ll probably ask for a quote to see if it makes any sense at all.

Two more parts to print and while the printer is doing its slow job, it´s time to do some test assembly, cut the threaded rods to the right length and see if everything fits. Also, a side-by side size comparison between old and new version.

P7293700-LR.JPG

P7293708LR.JPG

P7293720LR.JPG

P7293727LR.JPG

P7293739-LR.JPG

Finally all parts printed and the previous version now had the questionable honor to serve as an organ donor. Battery installation was a tighter fit than I had anticipated but it´s done now. I still need to do all the wirings, but I suppose tomorrow I´ll be able to take her for a first test ride (if it doesn´t happen to rain).

P8013897.JPG

P8013912.JPG

P8013904.JPG

7 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

It's beautiful!!! But you could be using my mod for RGB LED strip to show brake, speed and battery state.

Did you bought a new 30B4 board with horizontal calibration??

Is the mod complicated to do? My electronics skills are rather basic.

No, I´m still using my vertical board for testing, so I have one self-made 32 cell pack on one side for now but the range is nevertheless quite good. Battery still shows 80% after 6 km. I´ll get another board lateron or get both motor and board and print another one.

I just did a first ride and it´s really nice. More comfortable than the other one and less bulky looking :)

This mod add cool factor and security when riding during night.

The electronics are very simple connections and I am here to help.

From 30B4 board you need 3 wires: GND + Battery input + TX signal wire from the Bluetooth module.

The GND and battery voltage will power the MicroWorks board that converts the 60v to 12v. Than you can use another cheap board found on eBay to convert again the 12v to 5v or simple mod the MicroWorks converter board output directly the 5v instead (need to exchange a smd resistor).

After, the 5v power an Arduino and the RGB LED strip.

The TX wire connects to Arduino (so it can read the information that comes form the 30B4 board).

The Arduino outputs a signal for controlling the RGB LED strip.

Also, I added a switch to power on/off the supply and this way I just use this feature when I want, like just at night.

Read more here: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-controller-board-RGB-LED-strip

7 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

This mod add cool factor and security when riding during night.

The electronics are very simple connections and I am here to help.

From 30B4 board you need 3 wires: GND + Battery input + TX signal wire from the Bluetooth module.

The GND and battery voltage will power the MicroWorks board that converts the 60v to 12v. Than you can use another cheap board found on eBay to convert again the 12v to 5v or simple mod the MicroWorks converter board output directly the 5v instead (need to exchange a smd resistor).

After, the 5v power an Arduino and the RGB LED strip.

The TX wire connects to Arduino (so it can read the information that comes form the 30B4 board).

The Arduino outputs a signal for controlling the RGB LED strip.

Also, I added a switch to power on/off the supply and this way I just use this feature when I want, like just at night.

Read more here: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-controller-board-RGB-LED-strip

I´m not sure if there´s enough space for any extra boards. I´ve made it so so much smaller now that there´s just room for the two batteries and the mainboard, not much else.

I understand, you would need to change your design and print again. My current design is more flexible for this as the board compartment is almost independent from the rest and I can quickly change it. I still prefer my design over yours because I know I will need to continue to have easy access to my board for development/hacking.

But I think lights are very important for night ride. Other feature very important for me is able to lock using a security cable as on a bicycle and I want to incorporate a steel cable on EUC that goes to one pedal arm and to the inside handle.

Do you have other features on your list?

32 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I understand, you would need to change your design and print again. My current design is more flexible for this as the board compartment is almost independent from the rest and I can quickly change it. I still prefer my design over yours because I know I will need to continue to have easy access to my board for development/hacking.

But I think lights are very important for night ride. Other feature very important for me is able to lock using a security cable as on a bicycle and I want to incorporate a steel cable on EUC that goes to one pedal arm and to the inside handle.

Do you have other features on your list?

Lights might be one thing to add at some point, maybe also some kind of fender for riding in wet conditions, possibly removable. A USB charger might also be useful.  Attached you can see the upper space for the board. The one in the picture is my vertically programmed board, but I just put it there to check how much room there is. I don´t know which way the horizontal board will go, like on my picture or turned by 90 degrees...?? The space could be easily modified by adding some height to the handle and both upper covers. No need to reprint everything, only 3 parts.

I rode my new cycle for 2 hrs today and like it a lot. I also think it looks nicer than the earlier version.

P8013824b.JPG

P8023930b.JPG

2 minutes ago, RolluS said:

Hello,

I think unless specifically programmed, the 30B board cannot be calibrated if installed horizontally.

According to Microworks, the 30B board can be ordered with horizontal programming.

2 minutes ago, RolluS said:

Yes, that was I was trying to tell with "unless specifically programmed". Sorry or my english not my native language)

No problem, neither is it mine. Yes, the boards can be ordered either with horizontal or vertical programming. The price appears to be the same, so it´s just a matter of choice.

One of my main concerns regarding stability has been the pedal bracket, which of all parts is most exposed to continuous mechanical stress and is the most likely part to break in a crash. So I just came up with this new solution, which should greatly improve the stability of this part. I´m firing up my printer....

Pedal bracket improved version.jpg

pedalbracket printing.jpg

54 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

The original shell, of generics, is like the design on that new part you designed.

The final result is really beautiful. I want to add the link to your design, to EGG EUC project page.

Sure, feel free to add a link, that would be great! Yes, it is similar and the plate on the back should add some strength to the base of the structure. I haven´t yet had the time to shoot a real video of it in action because it´s raining right now, but I made this teaser instead.   :)

Archived